Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Setting up Jewellery Online Business

Hello

I am new to this site and would appreciate any advice on setting up an online jewellery business. I'm currently working four days a week for a PR agency and would initially be looking to run the jewellery business as a hobby - along with a little extra income!

At this stage, my goal isn't to give up my job but simply do something I enjoy doing - ie. making fashion jewellery.

Does anyone have any advice on the steps needed to start the business? I've looked at setting up a website but there's so much to learn eg. e-commerce and law, security, photography jewellery etc. The list goes on!

Thanks in advance.

Clare
    Clare Taylor
    Silver Bow Jewellery
    www.silverbowjewellery.co.uk

at least you work in a PR company, so you have that covered.

Everything else have a look in the start up section, should cover nearly everything yuou need

Comment

If you want to make selling on line a success you must optimise your web site correctly, the web is full of jewellery sites that no one can find. Learn as much as you can about SEO and keep learning. Good luck.

Caroline
      silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
      bespoke handmade jewellery
      Silver Jewellery blog
      Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Where do we start? A good website's important but no good if no-one finds it. It's taken quite a while for mine to take off, so don't expect it to happen overnight. One good way to promote your site is to do loads of craft fairs in lots of different places and hand out as many cards as you can.

You'll also need to register with the tax office once you start making money. Hope it all works out for you.
        Best wishes
        Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

The fact that you work in PR should help you. Marketing knowledge takes you a long way, and is the reason why my businesses fail.

I run my business online. So if you have any specific questions then email me and I will see if I can help. Perhaps we might even be able to trade some skills and info.

You may even want to check out my Jewellery Making Home Business Guide. Which you can get from the link in my signature tag. It's Free
          Allison
          www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
          www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

Thanks all for your advice.

Allison - I have signed up for your guide which i am going to read so thank you! Also feel I need to get my name out there via crafts etc before relying on income through online sales only.

I'd definitely be interested in trading some skills and info.

Once i've read your guide i'll PM you.

Thanks again.

Clare
            Clare Taylor
            Silver Bow Jewellery
            www.silverbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by baines View Post
              The fact that you work in PR should help you. Marketing knowledge takes you a long way, and is the reason why my businesses fail.

I run my business online. So if you have any specific questions then email me and I will see if I can help. Perhaps we might even be able to trade some skills and info.

You may even want to check out my Jewellery Making Home Business Guide. Which you can get from the link in my signature tag. It's Free

Hi Allison,
              I don't make jewellery as such , but have signed up for your guide and just wanted to say thanks!!
              Lisa
              *I Love Handmade*
              www.littlemillie.folksy.com
              www.urbancraftdesigners.etsy.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemillie/

Comment

I've signed up also - many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by baines View Post

OK obvious in my previous post I meant to say Marketing Knowledge is the reason MANY businesses fail, rather than my businesses fail

Glad I was able to help a few people with the guide. If you find it useful, please do email me, I'd love to know what parts you found most useful.
                  Allison
                  www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
                  www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

I hope this can help you a bit

I highly recommend you read this ebook " Social Networking: Sell Your Jewelry Online the New Way" This e-book is easy to understand, and very good value! Type the address below into the address bar.

jewelry-books.com/social-networking.html

This e-book shows you how to sell your handmade jewelry online. So I am not making any money promoting this product. I just want to get the word out about it as it is a great guide.

If this information is useful I will be more that glad to help you get started today. I wish you the best in your new business venture. I know it will be a huge success.

Sincerely,

Pedro Prado

"Living the artisan life is the satisfaction of living off work made by your own hands."
                    Last edited by Peter; 23-07-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

For a website we found shopcreator to be extremely user friendly with really good customer service when we rang them with our many stupid questions. Also has a good guide to SEO and is all set up for Google analytics so those ignorant of HTML like myself wont have a problem.
                      `Unique paper and silver jewellery inspired by the Japanese art of Origami`

Website
                      Facebook fan page
                      Blog
                      Twitter

Comment

Hi

Hi

SatokosOrigami

I've looked at the Shop creator website which sees a really good inexpensive way to start a website.

Is that what you use and did you find it easy to use and upload your images and info?

I assume its based on a template so is there any limit on the amount of pages and information you have for the initial cost - or does the price rise as you add more pages?

Thanks for the info as it may suit me!

Comment

It really could not be easier to use. It`s pretty much designed for idiots. It seems to be a good starter option. It`s easy to use but the only disadvantage is that you can only upload 1 photo per item. I`ve looked at Mr Site beginner and standard though and this is the same with them.

We choose it because they can sort out getting a domain and everything slightly technical involved. Whenever we have phoned support they have answered the phone pretty much immediately. It really is really easy to use, even setting up google analytics, which (for a novice like me) looked a little complicated.

You can have unlimited items and information pages. There is not much if any) flexibility but it does the job. Have a look at our site. I think it`s about as good as you can get within the templates.

Oh and you have to display an address, but you can be ucnning and not display a house number (we put our business name instead) if you`re nothappy with this.
                          `Unique paper and silver jewellery inspired by the Japanese art of Origami`

Website
                          Facebook fan page
                          Blog
                          Twitter

Comment

Does anyone have experience building websites for setting up a jewellery business online?
                            My wife is on Etsy and I am looking for options for her to expand. One of my artist friends built something for herself using a Wordpress type site while another used http://website.1and1.co.uk/create-your-own-website. Has anyone had success with these types of programs? If so, were you able to produce professional results?

Comment

By the time you have sweated over it and attempted to integrate payment systems and so on it may well be easier to hire a good tech person to build the site and concentrate on learning how to promote it so you sell. Sorting out stuff like taking credit cards takes time and endless patience as the merchant account people don't speak english (they speak a sort of mix of bank and computer). There is all sort of stuff to think about rather than just slapping a few pix and some words up.
                              If you do hire someone don't go with some glossy fast talking firm. Get at least two recommends from people who have used and continue to use them
                              I can recommend the bod who does my tech on an ongoing basis. (pm me if interested)(I'm allowed to say that aren't I?)

Comment

Working...
                              X