Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone offer advice regarding Legal requirements for selling toys please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone offer advice regarding Legal requirements for selling toys please?

Well, as the title suggests I really need advice regarding selling toys.I have read about EU requirements and CE marks and am totally confused! Have even rung trading standards who put me on hold and then never got through to anyone

I make handcrafted teddies, and felt toys for children under 14 and would like to sell them at craft fairs. It isn't going to be on a big scale ( maybe 6-10 craft fairs a year) and I will have public and product liability insurance.

As such a smmall business person will I be required to send my items off to some faceless company somewhere to approve it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Beth

Hi

I contacted my local trading standards a couple of years ago and they posted me some info.(which I have lost). I have just found this on-line, hope it helps.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file11286.pdf
    Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
    Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
    Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Comment

thanks

Thanks so much for your repy, very much appreciated
      I just need to get my head round it all now! I seem to have a mental block with anything leagal or jargon infused and my brain starts drifting off onto what to cook for tea, whether I should buy that wool I've had my eye on, my son really should get his hair cut soon etc....!

I know it is very necessary but wish there was more help- for small business/crafters.... I don't have 'people' to sort this stuff out like Toys 'R' us etc and it just takes so much time away from actually making stuff ( which is very limited anywaye being a full time mum to a 2 year old and an 8 month old!

Anyway, sorry for the whinge and HUGE thanks again

Regards,
      Beth

p.s. I love your products and your website!

Comment

You could try the Toy Makers Guild they have useful information and would be able to answer all your queries. It may be worth joining if you can afford the fee as you will then be kept up to date on all new developments.

Comment

I spent hours (it was years ago) reading through what the EU legislation actually says and basically......
          you must make sure your toy won't go up in flames quickly,
          and bits like eyes can't be pulled out by a child.

Then you self certify which means -
          make your toys as safe as you can (and get yourself product liability insurance to have peace of mind),
          provide a bit of paper with each toy with a CE on it (it's got to be? ought to be? in a special font) and a get out clause saying Warning - this toy is unsuitable for children under 3 years of age because (rack your brains for a reason). And your name and address.

And that is it for soft toys.
          The EU has laws covering the materials, stuffing, paints being sold in the EU...so as long as you buy your materials here you don't have to worry about lead in paint or all the other banned things - there's a weird blue fabric dye that's banned -

If you go to www.businesslink.gov.uk and do a search for toys, then scroll through the results and only pick out the bits about soft toys you 'll be able to check the words for yourself. and somewhere on there there is picture of the CE that you can copy.

That little warning lable doesn't have to be stuck on the toy, by the way. It just has to be given with it.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Thanks again folks

Thanks SO much, I really appreciate all your help and advice

I feel alot more confident now and have spent time today checking everything from stuffing and yarn used to everything inbetween and all is good.

Am sure the toy makers guild are fab but I feel a bit intimidated by them at the mo.... seem like master craftspeople and I'm just a mum turning a hobby into something that may make me a bit of extra cash Not that I don't take pride in my work, I do, big style. But don't think my things would ever compare to a carved rocking horse for example

Anyway, huge thanks again.

Regards,
            Beth

Comment

Originally posted by celticdream View Post

Am sure the toy makers guild are fab but I feel a bit intimidated by them at the mo.... seem like master craftspeople and I'm just a mum turning a hobby into something that may make me a bit of extra cash Not that I don't take pride in my work, I do, big style. But don't think my things would ever compare to a carved rocking horse for example
              You know, they'd probably welcome you with open arms - everyone has to start somewhere!!
              digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
              blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
              hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
              blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

I've read those documents and its says the CE label should be attached to the product but where NOT POSSIBLE to the packaging, so I would read that as having to be attached to the product unless you have a very good reason, especially for soft toys.

It also says that although adding the CE label allows free circulation you are supposed to keep certain documents for the record. One of these is the document to say your product has been tested by an independent tester so I'm worried that not doing this would make the whole thing illegal (on the business link link). Am I not reading this the right way? Any thoughts?

Although the Regulations do not specify that you must carry out tests to support self certification, information supporting a CE marking declaration must be maintained, and the conformity assessment part of the required information will - in many cases - mean using the services of an independent test laboratory.

Then you self certify which means -
                make your toys as safe as you can (and get yourself product liability insurance to have peace of mind),
                provide a bit of paper with each toy with a CE on it (it's got to be? ought to be? in a special font) and a get out clause saying Warning - this toy is unsuitable for children under 3 years of age because (rack your brains for a reason). And your name and address.

And that is it for soft toys

- I'm really not sure thats right - and its a pretty hefty fine if its wrong!
                Wyoh

Comment

Hi. Was that me saying that?
                  You are right. I was careless there......because....I was selling toys before the CE directives came out. I went to my nearest big library (it was 20 miles away!) to look in a big book to read what it said after they did. I spent half a day there and the wording about the CE lable then said it had to be given 'with' the toy.
                  For years I never sold soft toys so I shouldn't have piped up - because I was thinking of my wooden and clay toys. There it says you mustn't be able to pull them apart under a certain pounds per inch or how ever you measure pulling power. My toys at that point were solid objects so I'd shoved that point to the back of my mind.
                  Soft toys need to be strong, the stuffing EU approved (but if you are buying your stuffing in the EU that's all that's for sale) and I think you need to consider how flamable the fabric is.
                  So my policy now is to keep my mouth shut and send you here
                  http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...ts/directives/
                  and you can read it for yourself.

Comment

For anybody interested there are new rules which are supposed to be amended and adopted as law by the UK in 2011.
                    And in my usual moany minny way I'll warn you you need an ology in legalise to read the directive.

Comment

Just wanted to say this has been very helpful as I plan on selling small stuffed toys - so thankyou
                      Crafter of little cube character plush toys

Cubely.co.uk

DeviantArt Profile
                      Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                      X