Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance for jewellery parties - hitting a brick wall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for jewellery parties - hitting a brick wall!

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 05-07-2009, 12:09 PM.

Have you phone Ian Wallace?
    They are very helpful over the phone, anything like this I always write a list of questions I want to ask, then tick them off once answered.

hth

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by greannancrafts View Post
      Have you phone Ian Wallace?
      They are very helpful over the phone, anything like this I always write a list of questions I want to ask, then tick them off once answered.

hth

Jane
      Yes, I have. It's how they quoted me I just meant they spewed loads of info at me that I didn't really understand (even though it was already kinda dumbed down!) and I'm sure I don't need much of what they mentioned!

Anyway they ARE on my list, I just wonder if there's other options.
      Ring them again and say you have had so much information from all sorts of places you are a little overwhelmed with it all and would they mind clarifying a few specific points for you. Then you can go on to ask the particular questions you want answered. If you phrase your questions so they can give you a "yes" or "no" answer you stand a good chance of understanding things.

I've used them for a few years and on the couple of occasions I have rung them they have been very patient and helpful explaining things.

My last premium was around the £50-£60 mark (different craft to yours), but your higher quote might well be because they have included the fact that you will be in people's homes rather than a public venue - just an idea, don't take it as gospel.

HTH
      Linda

Comment

I just insured with Ian Wallace and mine was £69 so maybe they have put up prices recently.

It covers you for loads even my online sales which is great!
        Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

I've finally got round to sorting out our public liability insurance and went with Ian Wallace
          they were extremely helpful and the whole process was dealt with quickly
          we rang them a couple of times and spoke to real people that we could understand ( always a bonus !! )
          we are now paying £69 a year so we're happy and covered
          www.sunrisecards.co.uk
          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

I also went with Ian Wallace and found them very helpful. I carry public and product liability which covers my trading at craft fairs and occasional workshops and they didn't ask me to specify what kind of venue I'd be using. I assume if you're going into people's homes, you can't control factors within that venue and that's maybe why some are a bit cagey about offering you that kind of cover. All in all, it cost me £69.75 which I was quite happy with.
            Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

Not 100% sure about this, but I have been told that when doing a party in someones home you have no worries, as the householders contents insurance has a public liabilaty part that covers you. Same as if you were doing an event in a hall that has its own insurance.
              As I said Im not 100% on this but I would phone your own house insurance and ask them how it works, could save you a few bob
              Last edited by urbtaf; 15-03-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

i went to business gateway and they didnt think i needed any liability ins!
                Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I would have thought you'd need product liability insurance - what if someone claims disfigurment from a reaction to the metal(s)?
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                    I would have thought you'd need product liability insurance - what if someone claims disfigurment from a reaction to the metal(s)?
                    but whats the chances of that if you use nickle free?
                    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Doesn't stop people trying it on and fighting a claim would cost money.
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

I would say you should always have Public and Product liability.
                        A sharp piece of metal can cut someone, gets badly infected and then what it can lead to, It is possible and you do need cover. The UK is getting more like the USA for claiming.

to be honest your insurance even at £70 ish a year is only about 20p per day to insure you with a 1 million indemity limit.
                        Visit my site

Comment

i am a registered child minder and i have just had the renewal notice for my public liability insurance which also covers me for lots of child related stuff, it has just gone up to £40.
                          so i cant understand why a craft setting would be £70
                          sally

Comment

If you are still looking, I would give hiscox a call, they are not always the cheapest insurance, but when I was looking to set up a business which involved a variety of risks, their advisor was able to go through each scenario with me and tell me what was covered, and what extra cover I could get. their website is www.hiscox.co.uk

Someone posted earlier about not needing liability insurance in someone else's home, and that is possibly true, but not everyone has household insurance.. and if you were doing a jewellery party and someone had an accident it might look bad on you if you said "claim off the host/ess"

I don't think you are required by law to have product liability, but your product is made from items you source in to your business.. Companies like WalMart Tesco Currys and so on have huge departments that spend their entire time checking where products come from, how they are made, ensuring legislation is followed etc.. you dont really have that capability as a sole trader.. Even if it costs £30 a year, you would probably spend more than that in your time making sure your components are safe, and what they say they are...
                            Last edited by sparkysdad; 19-03-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Cant see that it was "product" related given the following..

From Hiscox website

Risks you are protected against include:

Claims caused by goods which your company either sold, manufactured, repaired, installed, erected, altered, cleaned or treated and – through negligence – caused injury or damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X