Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr Site vs. Do Your Own Site vs any others out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Site vs. Do Your Own Site vs any others out there!

Hi Everyone,

Firstly apologies if this is a topic which has already been covered in depth - but I'm new to the site and haven't really had a chance to read through all the old threads.

I'm looking for advice on setting up my own website, and specifically which package to use. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Mr Site, but that's only because it's about the only one I've heard of, and I realise that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the best.

I have already created a 'brand' for my jewellery, ie, I use a specific name, colour scheme, image and font, and I want to make sure I can continue with these in my website. I am using images and fonts that are already on my Mac, and what I really want to know is can I import these into the website? Or, will I be limited to graphics/fonts that come with the web-hosting package?

Also are there hidden costs? For example, you have to pay extra to the URL/web address you want.

This is toe-in-the-water stuff, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it at the moment. I'm not even sure if I want to start doing on-line sales, or simply showcase my jewellery with a few pictures. However, I might want to expand in the future - how easy is that with the different providers?

Can anyone share their experiences, opinions or give some advice?
    Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Am in the same possition at the moment,Weve sold on the net before but we got too busy to do both that and the market, so one had to go!
    Have been looking at setting up a site more for advertising and as a contact method more than direct sales.
    Have looked at Mr site but feel more drawn to "do your own site" maybe a bit dearer but just has a easier feel to it, me not being a computor buff

Comment

Mine is a MrSite if you want to go and have a look.

I did the banner myself, and it matches all my paperwork (invoices, comp slips and bix cards), you are restriced to the fonts that MrSite support, and it's not all of them, but it does cover mostly what people use anyway.

If you are going to go with MrSite, then I have found that it's a lot cheaper anywhere but MrSite, I got mine from Staples for £24.99 but saw it in there last month another £10 cheaper. I have the middle sized one (not the craft 5 page one, and not the pro one). I love how easy it is to do things on there myself without having to rely on someone to do it for me.

I have to renew in the next couple of weeks, and it works out at about £34 for the next years hosting.
      www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

I have recently switched from Mr Site to DYOS as I found there were many more options and features. Mr Site was still good, but I was after a little bit more...

DYOS alos has a 30 day free trial at the moment, so worth a go if you want to find out for yourself!!

Stacey

Comment

I am in the process of possibly moving to DoYourOwnSite but I have also be looking a HostPapa which I have also been recommended, it looks quite good but I have seen a few negatives posted on the net about it, although they are for the USA version so UK maybe ok.....
          I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

Found it cheap!

Originally posted by Delta View Post

If you are going to go with MrSite, then I have found that it's a lot cheaper anywhere but MrSite, I got mine from Staples for £24.99 but saw it in there last month another £10 cheaper. I have the middle sized one (not the craft 5 page one, and not the pro one). I love how easy it is to do things on there myself without having to rely on someone to do it for me.
            Thanks for the suggestion - I've just Googled it and found that play.com are selling the standard (middle) package for £17.99 with free delivery - it's £34.99 on the Mr Site site.

It seems to be the best value and I'm very tempted to get it even if I have to rethink my fonts a little. Might try the free trial with DYOS, first though. I'll let you know how it goes.
            Regards, Carol

Comment

I've been holding back from jumping in on this thread because of my (very) obvious bias.

However, I would say:

Packages such as these (don't want to single any out) are, in my opinion, a good way to get started, test out your products and ideas, and find out if eCommerce is an avenue you want to pursue and invest in.

Ebay can also be good - though it is less suited to arts/crafts in some ways.

I'd further suggest that if you do decide you want to get heavily into eCommerce (and use it as a significant revenue stream as part of a business - even a part time one), then you probably don't want to be doing all the "heavy lifting" on the website yourself - because you'll end up trying to do everything, and not having enough time for crafting left over!

But, as per the top. I'm very biased. And slightly jealous that we can't compete with these deals on price!!

Best of luck, though!!
              --Matt

Web Development
              Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

I use DYOS and as a first timer it has been excellent in terms of coping with my inability to design a website as well as allowing me enough freedom to add html and other bits I do know about.
                I paid £75 for the year, that included my dotcom address which is more expensive than co.uk.
                I really liked the 30 day trial, it is not limited as some are and everything you do in the trial can be used. I built most of my stuff in the trial before going live.
                I haven't tried any others so can't be more objective, although I looked around for AGES and got myself in quite a twist
                Terry xxx
                You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I use DYOS, I was swayed by the free trial & found it easy to use & designed it all by the end of my trial so made sense to stick with that. Very helpful forum & support as well.
                  Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by matt.chatterley View Post
                    I've been holding back from jumping in on this thread because of my (very) obvious bias.

However, I would say:

Packages such as these (don't want to single any out) are, in my opinion, a good way to get started, test out your products and ideas, and find out if eCommerce is an avenue you want to pursue and invest in.
                    Thanks for your honesty - it really helps to get a expert's input.

Well I've taken the plunge and gone for DYOS, or at least I'm going to give their 30 day trial a go. I've got a few days holiday this week so I'm desperate to get started (patience is really not my thing ) and DYOS offer immediate download. However, I'm sorely tempted to order the MrSite standard package as well. At £17.99 from play.com it's much better value in the long run, and if it can achieve the same results then ...

Yes, call me crazy, and I can hear the shouts of 'get a life' from here but I really am prepared to work on 2 websites and then decide.

I'll let you know how it goes - in the meantime, I've got a website to design!
                    Regards, Carol

Comment

The thinking is going towards DYOS as Im a bit worried that Mr Site will be good as an advertising site, but as we develope it into a sales site we may run out of space. Ive got my webbook back so will be playing with DYOS soon.

Comment

Urbtaf, not sure what you mean about the MrSite, I have only put my site on free business directories etc at the moment, and when I check my google analytics I am getting hits from search phrases that I hadn't even thought of.

Also, if you get the middle Mrsite, then you can purchase extra space/pages at any time.

Or I could just be reading it all wrong and getting the totally wrong idea about what you are saying, in which case just tell me to butt out (it's been a long day!)
                        www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

It has been mentioned that mr site can be found for £17.99 from play.com
                          Mr site pro can also be found for nearly half price around £56 -£59 on google shopping which has stock control etc and more pages.
                          I have to say that there isn't many example websites that strike me as being great at DYOS compared to Mr site.
                          Visit my site

Comment

i'`ve been with dyos for 3 years now and would definately recommend them! they have a forum (once u have signed up) where there is always someone on hand to help, they are also quick to answer emails...

My link is below if you wanna see what can be done... give the free trial a go as it is the best way to see what can be done without spending any money!!

Good luck
                            Sarah
                            Personalised gifts for all occasions 10% off for all members use code - craftforum - www.sewandsoaps.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/sewandsoaps1

Comment

Taken the plunge with DYOS, 2 hours tonight has the home page the about us page and the contact pages done. Only a few times of scatching my head when something baffled me (its not hard).
                              I know that from now on its the hard bit, but am quite pleased with the way it works so far,
                              I have noticed that there are a few services that we will have to pay extra for if we need them, but I dont think we will.
                              I do like the fact that theres no software to download, as the way we go through computors it means we cant lose it

Comment

Working...
                              X