Insurance for Craft Fairs and Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for Craft Fairs and Workshop

My friend and I are looking to do a few craft fairs this year and I guess we need to sort out some sort of insurance like public liability etc. Or would we be covered by the venue?

We're also looking at other venues such as libraries, displays in cafes, shops etc. so looks like it would be best to have our own.

Also I'm planning to convert my garage into a workshop for ceramics. Should I change my house insurance or get a separate policy? There will be an electric kiln in there so less liklely to have a fire than with gas, I think.

Can anyone give us some advice, please?

Venue policies would not cover you, and most fairs don't accept exhibitors unless you can provide proof of a policy cover. Try GM Imber or CMTIA for two popular brokers. Most cover starts at the bargain prices of around £50 per year, very cheap for the peace of mind that insurance cover running to £1million plus can bring you. Speak with each company to see what cover best suits your needs.

I'm afraid someone else will have to assist you on the workshop cover, but I would imagine you would have to speak to your current household insurance company at the very least to see if they can accomodate it in your regular policy.

Hope this helps.

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

I've just insured with Ian Wallace for public liability, they have different add ons to their policy including a section to cover stock and workshop equipment if you want to do that. They specialize in crafts people.
      Elinor
      x

My Misi page
      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the leads, I'll follow them up.

Love the wood tattoos and the jewellery. Do you make cupcakes too!.....lol

Lovely to meet such creative people.

Comment

I insured with Ian Wallace this morning, and within 10 minutes of finishing the application thingy on the internet, he phoned me. He's really nice and if you talk to him, then he will only sell you the cover that you need.

I just got the basic PL insurance, as I don't do big expensive fairs that may get called off and I don't have employees, so just needed the cover incase I kill anyone

And, you can pay monthly, think mine was just over £6 a month.
          www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Public Liability is something your business should have if attending any fairs and 3rd party premises.
            It is offered at 1m 2m and 5m with some insurers offering 10m if required.

Employers Liability is required if anyone is employed in your business.
            Not normally required if they are family members but also required even if the person is not being paid. This is a legal requirement.
            Limited compainies should always have EL regardless of family or not.

If you are running a business from home then your home insurance will need to know of this. Many insurers won't cover you and this may put you off telling them but if at the time of claiming a loss and a loss adjuster inspects the damage and finds you have a workshop for your business then they could be within their rights to void your insurance and refuse to pay out on your claim if you have not disclosed this to them.
            Visit my site

Comment

Hi,

For craft fairs and markets the National Market Trader Federation provde insurance and other benefits if you join. http://www.nmtf.co.uk/
              I'm not sure how insurance applies with the other venues you mentioned.
              Most craft fairs will ask for a copy of your insurance or state that you should have insurance before giving you a stall. I would highly reccommend getting some!

There are many considerations you need to look into when turning your garage into a workshop. It will almost certainly affect your household insurance but may also affect other things such as your mortgage/tenancy agreement/neighbours and may even leave you liable to capital gains tax if you sell the property! All things worth thinking about.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rossa View Post
                Do you make cupcakes too!.....lol
                I do, but only for personal consumption

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                I insured with Ian Wallace this morning, and within 10 minutes of finishing the application thingy on the internet, he phoned me. He's really nice and if you talk to him, then he will only sell you the cover that you need.
                Yes, he's really friendly and helpful. I did the internet application late at night and he called me the next morning.
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

If you are running a business from home then your home insurance will need to know of this. Many insurers won't cover you and this may put you off telling them but if at the time of claiming a loss and a loss adjuster inspects the damage and finds you have a workshop for your business then they could be within their rights to void your insurance and refuse to pay out on your claim if you have not disclosed this to them.
                  Our home insurance is through NFU Mutual so we have a Country Business insurance tied in with it but I'm seriously considering Ian Wallace purely for Product Liability re my soap and toiletries products.
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                    I'm seriously considering Ian Wallace purely for Product Liability re my soap and toiletries products.
                    http://www.nmtf.co.uk do cover product liability for products like soaps/toiletries/food and for product recall.

They also cover 3rd party selling, providing the products were sold at a market/craft event.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi

Just another vote for Ian Wallace......

Also - if you're operating from home, in the garage....it is a business, no matter how small - it probably won't come into it, but use over a certain % space for business and the Local Authority will want a slice of the action, ie: Business Rates, fall out with the neighbours for whatever reason and they'll soon tell them!

Sorry to spoil the party - but it has happened.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                      X