Unemployed but registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployed but registered

I have to register my business within this month as its almost been 3 months since i started the website. However i have just gone to the job centre to sign on last week. I asked them about having my business and how that effects my benefit. They said as long as i havnt registered then im ok.

So what if i havnt found a job in 4 weeks! Should i stop trading and close my website? Or stop claiming job seekers allowance. I have no idea what il get as i havnt received anything. Nor have i sold anything since before xmas!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Look into Working Tax Credit - you have to be working 16hrs or more per week but everyone can claim it providing you don't have much in the way of savings.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I dont have a clue (sorry)

I just wanted to say that is ridiculous!!!! How are you supposed to get money!!! Although my husband works I used to be unemployed myself, and my mum has been unemployed for a few months, and I can appreciate just how soul destroying it is. You would think that they would provide more help and support seeing as you are making an effort to get back into work!

I would phone up IR to be honest and see what they advise
      My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
      http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
        They said as long as i havnt registered then im ok.
        Worse than useless that advice!

I would try calling the benefit people - which ever dept is responsible and have a conversation with them about it. What they essentially have told you that it is ok to claim benefits and earn money as long as IR don't know about it! That's not right
        www.beadlab.com

Comment

You should also look at the Princes Trust. You're under 30 so they should be able to help you with the business side of it with grants and support.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
            You should also look at the Princes Trust. You're under 30 so they should be able to help you with the business side of it with grants and support.
            I tried them, they told me I needed to be 25 or under. I was turning 26 two weeks after I contacted them so they refused to help.
            My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
            http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Im 25 in 4 weeks. I called business gateway today. They laughed in my ear!! I said i was calling about advice for funding and starting a business. They said there is no funding available at all, no way, zilch! She was quite rude. Though they are sending me out an information package and suggest going to some business classes.

Thing is i know exactly what to do! I just need money for it!

Im hoping il get a job soon. Il talk to the IR. Sigh.
              Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

My understanding is that you don't have to pay tax until you are making a profit, and even then I think your profit has to be over £5000 per year to be liable. I don't see why you shouldn't still be eligible for benefits, you aren't actually earning anything from your business yet, ie you're not paying yourself a salary out of it.

Call the IR, they are actually very helpful on the phone, more so than the benefits people. Failing that, you could try your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

You have to pay tax on anything that is left after expenses (materials and stuff) this is your profit. It is National Insurance you don't have to pay until you earn over £4800. You get a small business exemption or something for that, I have just applied for one
                  www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
                    You have to pay tax on anything that is left after expenses (materials and stuff) this is your profit. It is National Insurance you don't have to pay until you earn over £4800. You get a small business exemption or something for that, I have just applied for one
                    I have to pay NI but not tax. My income is very small. I am registered self-employed I earn money from a variety of sources, my jewellery is only one. You have a personal tax allowance every year, this year it is £6,035, that you can earn before becoming liable for income tax. If you have put money into a business, then you have to make a profit before becoming liable to pay tax on the business, that is my understanding. So for example if it costs you £500 to buy materials and to set up a website, get stationery, business cards, advertising yourself etc your company is £500 in loss. You make jewellery with the materials, and sell it, you don't actually make a profit until you have made at least £501 back. Your profit on that is £1.

You need to keep accurate records of all your expenditure relating to your business for the IR and will have to complete a self-assessment form once or twice a year depending on how you're set up.
                    Elinor
                    x

My Misi page
                    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

i can't help you on the tax front but if you are not earning anything i think they should give you some money. my ex was registered as self employed last year as well as signing on. i have no idea whether he told them about his self-employed status mind but since he clearly had no money coming in it obviously didn't seem to cause anyone any issues....

on another note these people give business help to anyone under 30:
                      http://www.shell-livewire.org/

i think it is rubbish that there is no funding. try looking into business link, they're not very good in real life (especially when trying to get money out of them) but their website is excellent, very helpful, and they should have some links to organisations that can help you with business funding in your area.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Hi
                        The best people are the Revenue people themselves. They are Extremely helpful and will tell you exactly what you need to know!!
                        You do NOT pay tax until your profit/income is over £6,035
                        This is your personal allowance.
                        There is lots of information on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...iefs/DG_078571

There is probably too much to plough through and the revenue office will probably give you a much quicker answer to things!!
                        Rach

Facebook
                        Website
                        Blog
                        Folksy

Comment

Yes you need to register with the IR if you are running a business, but you can also claim job seekers to as a self employed person.

They will expect to you to jump through a lot of hoops and fill out more forms.

You may also find that they do not quite know how a business should be run, ie they have no clue, or you might be lucky and find some one who does.

The best way when dealing with the benefit people is to give them as much information and more than required and ask questions. So go have a conversation with them, if the person your talking too has no clue ask to speak to some one who does.

If this feels to much, how much have you been selling? Under a £50-100 a month? If so don't register its just a hobby you could make the same doing a car boot or selling the odd bits on ebay.

If you want to pick my brains give me a call and we will chat, I have been through the benefit system its hard but you can get through to the other side.

Ann

Comment

Well before xmas i made up to £200 in about 2 months. But since then iv made about £30! So i guess it smore of a hobby. I am doing craft fairs though so that might make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by annnoble View Post
                              If this feels to much, how much have you been selling? Under a £50-100 a month? If so don't register its just a hobby you could make the same doing a car boot or selling the odd bits on ebay.

Ann
                              Sorry but that is completely wrong!!

The IR will look at anything that is bought, made or whatever, with a view to selling it as a business whether you make 50p or £50,000 and you CAN be prosecuted for not claiming you are a business etc!!
                              Rach

Facebook
                              Website
                              Blog
                              Folksy

Comment

Working...
                              X