Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A site for searching if a business name is being used.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A site for searching if a business name is being used.

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up an online business for my cards and other papercrafts. I found a website that was great for telling you if a company was using your name already but I can't find it again! Anyone know of a good one I can use?

Also any ideas for a good name. My name is Victoria Bell, I work with my mum Sharon and my dog is called Bailey. Can't work anything out from these but I am sure there is someone out their who can!

depoends if you are setting up as a ltd co. you can get a list of all companies at companies house website. Careful with names as some might be copyrighted. To check available domains yuo can use almost any website domain sellers site.

Im sure someone will be able to give more helpful information soon fo ryou.

Comment

Check for names here http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/domains or as spagbog said, any other domain host.

I think BaileyBellCards has a nice ring to it (no pun intended) but as my business name is very boring I'm probably not the best person to advise!
      www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
      www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
      Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
      Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

BaileyBell jumped straight into my mind too when I saw the names, I think it sounds nice and I doubt if there will be many co.s with the same name.

Companies House is a good place to search, but a company will only be on there if it is Ltd. Otherwise, I use google and search for as many different variations of the company name as I can think, and if it doesn't pop up in the first couple of pages, it either doesn't exist or is fairly small anyway.

I'm quite sure I'm not the only Lady Luck Jewellery (I know of LLROK over here and Lady Luck Jewelery in USA) but as long as you aren't trying to pass yourself off as someone else, there is very little that another company can do if you have the same name.

HTH

Claire
        Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
        Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
        www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

BaileyBell sounds great!!!!!

My website name is daft....someone started it for me and most of my online customers know me by rhea (which isn't my real name) so it made more sense to keep it.....
          My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
          http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by spagbog View Post
            depoends if you are setting up as a ltd co. you can get a list of all companies at companies house website. Careful with names as some might be copyrighted. To check available domains yuo can use almost any website domain sellers site.

Im sure someone will be able to give more helpful information soon fo ryou.
            Trademarked, yes. Registered service marks, yes.

Copyrighted - no.
            It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
              as long as you aren't trying to pass yourself off as someone else, there is very little that another company can do if you have the same name.
              Tell that to Mr. Harrod, who trading with his son, and known locally as "Harrods" registered the domain name "harrods.co.uk"

Until he was sued for it and lost. Lousy decision, but that's the legal precedent now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post
                Tell that to Mr. Harrod, who trading with his son, and known locally as "Harrods" registered the domain name "harrods.co.uk"

Until he was sued for it and lost. Lousy decision, but that's the legal precedent now.
                Crikey!!! That's really quite scary, although I suppose with Harrods being as big as they are they have a fair bit of clout.

A friend of mine has a Ltd co with a name of (for example) 'AB designs' and another company, doing exactly the same as him started up nearby and called themselves 'A&B Designs' even using a similar style logo, and he was told there was nothing he could do about it

Claire
                Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I want to make up a site in the new year using mr site and calling ourselves sunrise cards
                  I've looked on the link on here and sunrisecards.co.uk is available and theres a price for 2 years should I purchase it or can we just call ourselves sunrisecards I don't really understand it all.
                  www.sunrisecards.co.uk
                  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

You can call yourself Sunrise Cards without paying anything, but sunrisecards.co.uk would be your website URL (prefixed with www. of course) if you wanted to buy it. Is that what you meant?
                    Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                      Crikey!!! That's really quite scary, although I suppose with Harrods being as big as they are they have a fair bit of clout.

A friend of mine has a Ltd co with a name of (for example) 'AB designs' and another company, doing exactly the same as him started up nearby and called themselves 'A&B Designs' even using a similar style logo, and he was told there was nothing he could do about it

Claire
                      It's a grey area - the Harrods case was a landmark, and not in a good way at all.

I took a module in "New Technology and the Law" when I was at university - even my professor (who helped draft the Data Protection Act and is recognized as a leading expert in the field) was shocked when Al Fayed won that one.

If there is a deliberate attempt at passing off, then there are things that you could do. If there isn't, then it's much harder - some people (particularly those across the Atlantic) may try and issue a "cease and desist" letter to get you to stop, but if you think you have a defence, then it's worth not giving in.

Some years back, I worked for ICI. The ici.com domain name had been taken by an insurance company in the States, who had the initials "ICI" - there was nothing that they could do apart from buy the domain back from him at a significant cost.

Some people will surrender the domain name for a fee, some for free - it depends on the cause really. Firefox.com was given to Mozilla by the person who registered it first, for example. McDonalds.com was sold to them for a donation to charity (it was claimed by a journalist as an exercise in protecting your brand identity online )

Comment

right I've taken the plunge and bought mr site
                        we want out website to be www.sunrisecards.co.uk or something along those lines
                        do I have to buy that name ??? this is where I start to get confused
                        if we trade as sunrise cards but don't buy the name and someone else out there is using the same name could we be in trouble ???
                        www.sunrisecards.co.uk

Comment

As a sole trader.....
                          I was told you can trade under any name you like as long as you put your real name and address on your paperwork. So letterheads, invoices, receipts, business cards etc.

Then you have to have a little think about whether calling yourself Walt Disney or Ronald McDonald is going to be worth the aggro if they accuse you of stealing their name.

I suggest doing a google search for sun rise cards in various configurations and see what it throws up. If there is someone with that name in your town I'd think twice but if they are in Australia I don't think I would loose any sleep over it.

Your website address is a different thing.
                          You do have to buy that. Beware the evil people who have bought up names and will charge you silly money to buy them back. Don't play their game and they might stop doing it (I wish). A dot co dot uk name should be around £7 for 2 years. Dot com seems to have gone up to £10 a year. Don't pay more. Do clever things with the spelling like jewellery/jewelry if www.sunrisecards.co.uk is already nabbed and you want to cling to sunrise. And they have just invented a load of new dot endings to confuse you further. If you are dipping your toe in the water I'd say just buy one web address (URL) but you might be kicking yourself later because eg if you had www.sunrise.co.uk some evil bod might start trading with www.sunrise.com and you will be very, very cross if you have spent a lot of time, effort and money promoting the sunrise brand. In the old days the solution was simple. Buy dot co dot uk and dot com but now there are so many endings it's got silly. To buy them all up you need to be a millionaire before you start trading!
                          AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post
                            right I've taken the plunge and bought mr site
                            we want out website to be www.sunrisecards.co.uk or something along those lines
                            do I have to buy that name ??? this is where I start to get confused
                            if we trade as sunrise cards but don't buy the name and someone else out there is using the same name could we be in trouble ???
                            MrSite includes the hosting in the package - you'll be able to register the name when you start setting up the website.
                            Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

thats brilliant

thanks for the advice
                              www.sunrisecards.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X