Photographing earrings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing earrings

I am having a nightmare photographing clear crystal earrings. Every colour background doesn't seem right. Every thing else i am pleased with it's just the earrings.

Is there any one out there who can explain in words for a 2 year old which way works best for them.

Many thanks for any help.

Pauline

Hi
    I too had the same problem , but found that I used an organza white material base on a chair that was directly in the natural light.In my case I opened the patio doors and let in as much light as possible and took the photos and this worked for me.I only did this after paying a fortune for small photography booths fancy lights etc, but they do say often the simplest things work the best.Have a mess around with the light and your back ground and try leaving your flash off and using the macro facility if yiou have one on your camera.
    Hope this helps
    Jacki
    ***I can't promise you the MOON, but I can promise SPARKLE.***

http://wiganscraftyfriends.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hi. I have found that the best way is to use good natural light, but not in sunshine,as you get too many shadows.

I have tried all sorts of photography inside, but always end up with a different shade to the real thing, which also happens in bright sunshine.

For me, good natural light, and a backing cloth which contrasts with the main colour of the item is the ideal.

Just try different places and lighting until you find the best spot for your photos.

regards
      JOHN

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice, i will have a go the weekend.

Comment

Couple of things I do whenever I am doing close up (macro) photography.

1. Use natural light as much as possible

2. Get baco foil and wrap around a tray and place opposite side to where light is coming in. This will act as a reflector and bounce natural light back onto your subject.

3. Turn camera to macro setting, usually shown as a tulip on camera

4. Use a tripod if possible

5. Use ISO setting of around 100 to avoid "noise" or grainy effect

6. For a backdrop, I usually use black or white but black does show up the specs when using macro

Hope this may help a bit
          Web: www.randmphotography.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/dolts007

Comment

Here are the methods I use ...

i) Use natural light ... make sure there are no shadows ...

ii) Use a tripod and set the timer (both of these steps will help to prevent camera shake)

iii) Put your earrings on a black cloth ...

iv) Use the smallest ISO number ...

v) Turn off the flashlight ... never use the flashlight for macro photography ...

Comment

Working...
            X