Insurance for craft fairs and also a craft club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for craft fairs and also a craft club

I've looked through various threads but I can't seem to find an answer to this so I apologise if it has been discussed before.

I would like to do 2 things, set up a craft club for 10-20 people and I would also like to do craft fairs etc on my own in the new year (not connected to the craft club).

I've been told that I need public liablity insurance for my craft club to cover members if they should fall or have an accident in the scout hall we will be using and I also need to get public and product liability insurance for selling at craft fairs.

I don't seem to be able to find an insurer who will cover both under a single policy so at the moment it looks like I'd be paying £75 pa for the public/product liability for the craft fairs and around £130.00 pa for the public liability for the craft club.

In your experience does this seem about right to you or do you know of any policies that would cover both?

Many thanks
    Di x

www.tando-creative.co.uk
    www.tando-creative.blogspot.com

Personally I use the Market Traders Fed but then I only need insurence for the shows.

Try these http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/, they advertise in the Craftsman Magazine and are quite well known / used. I'm almost certain they can do both but not sure if they can be combined.
    Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
    No Membership just visit & Browse
    Craftville.com

Comment

Many thanks for replying. I tried them first thing this morning and yes, they will cover both but under separate insurance policies so it looks like that's the way to go.

Thanks again
      Di x

www.tando-creative.co.uk

Comment

I have just taken out public liability as I run workshops. I was also told that the cover I've taken out will cover me at craft fairs. I googled and found a site called simply business. I had a choice of a few and I think I ended up paying £50 something.
        www.RedShedCeramics.etsy.com
        www.folksy.com/shops/RedShed
        www.mosaicshape.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Red Shed View Post
          I have just taken out public liability as I run workshops. I was also told that the cover I've taken out will cover me at craft fairs. I googled and found a site called simply business. I had a choice of a few and I think I ended up paying £50 something.
          This is what I was going to say

I think normal "public liability" insurance should cover you for any (business) activities undertaken in the presence of / involving members of the public.

The only other sort of insurance which I can think of that is relevant to work is professional indemnity - which isn't really relevant, I don't think (since it essentially covers any collateral damage caused by decisions you make pursuing your profession or mishaps which occur - e.g. if a television engineer drops a TV he's fixing).

Check with a couple of brokers about public liability, and if it does what you want, then start looking for the cheapest quote!
          --Matt

Web Development
          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Thanks guys. I've had so many different opinions on this my mind is boggled now I think LOL!

I've been told that the public liability for my craft club can only be issued if we have a chairman, secretary, treasurer and a constitution... and that it also needs to cover member to member public liability too in case one member accidently hurts another.

I will certainly look at your suggestions although we have now had to take out a separate cover for craft fairs/markets as we are holding a charity sale on Saturday and needed cover for that quickly.

The craft club is due to start in February and I've been quoted £135 for cover just for that so I'll definately see about, firstly getting that cheaper and then hopefully combining the 2 next year.

Red Shed, would you mind pm'ing me a few more details about your cover so I can look it up. I found the Simply Business site but I'm not sure what I'm meant to be after on there.

Thanks again
            Di x

www.tando-creative.co.uk

Comment

Have pmd you. If you need more info please pm me back
              www.RedShedCeramics.etsy.com
              www.folksy.com/shops/RedShed
              www.mosaicshape.co.uk

Comment

have you thought of calling it a workshop instead? my insurance covers that in the same as my pub li also covered is a set amount of craft fairs.
                I got it from the norwich.

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
                www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
                fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks again peeps. I've jotted down all your info and I'll be looking into the club insurance next week.
                  Di x

www.tando-creative.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X