Web site name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web site name?

OK After being Kicked up the rear by many people Auntynet and Urbtaf amongst them. About getting motivated to sell my Jewelry I have been given the oportunity to have a web site made for me by my friend who is setting up a web design buisnes.

The thing is the name. I used to have a craft stall under the name "Gill's Gems" but looking on the web there is already a jewelry site in the Uk called that. ggrrr.

The second choice was "Goldy's Goodies" but that is to close to Auntys and Urbtafs stall "Girly Goodies"
    I'm on Dawanda as "Goldy's Gifts" but that dosn't grab me.

I am known on all my forums as Goldy in one form or other. Has anyone got any sugestions.
    Last edited by goldy1; 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM.
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

I suppose the first one that springs to mind is Goldys Gems or Gems by Goldy ?!?
    by Nicki
    www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

I sympathise! For me the hardest bit is naming your site! I'm still not happy with mine but have never been able to come up with anything else!

The "Goldy" thing is making me think of treasure chests, caves full of gems, caverns etc, but I can't think of a specific name to suggest I'm afraid. Good luck with it though. When you get it right you'll know because it'll feel right! I recently came up with a name to sell just my cards under and it felt so right when it finally clicked that I was dancing about the house with excitement (you can tell I don't get out much! Lol).
      Natalie
      website blog

Comment

Goldy ..
        You just need to make sure it has what it is e.g. jewellery..

e.g. seahorse site is poisoned apple jewellery..

Are you targetting the nation? If its only for locals then include the location.

What about goldjewellerydesign.co.uk ?

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post

Are you targetting the nation? If its only for locals then include the location.

What about goldjewellerydesign.co.uk ?
          I'd like to conquor the world But then wouldn't we all. I'd be happy with the UK.
          Makes me think of highstreet jewlers sorry Mr Media.

Comment

I know what you talking about..

But its really key to get the keywords in the domain name at the start..

Age is key too as in rep builds not just for rankings in search engines but a trust from your buyers..

The main thing to think regarding naming is think as a customer.

The amount of people/clients/friends who want xy and z name thats purely for vanity sake is incredible..

Regarding domains be really careful when checking if its still available as many auto buy them when you check..

Hope that helps..

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post

Age is key too as in rep builds not just for rankings in search engines but a trust from your buyers..
              not sure what you mean by this do you mean add my age to the site or something else. Sorry have trouble understanding written word Dyslexic you see.

The amount of people/clients/friends who want xy and z name thats purely for vanity sake is incredible..
              not vain at all just thought Goldy would link to all my forum personas. Would call myself Fred if it helped.

Comment

I agree totally with mrmedia... I made the mistake of not putting either 'fused' or 'dichroic' in my website name and kind of shot myself in the foot in terms of potential viewers. I think a descriptive title is better than a shorter name while your are starting out, it'll get more visitors!
                Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
                Dichroic Glass Tutorials
                Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                  not sure what you mean by this do you mean add my age to the site or something else. Sorry have trouble understanding written word Dyslexic you see.

not vain at all just thought Goldy would link to all my forum personas. Would call myself Fred if it helped.
                  The age of the site from when you register it.. It really counts for a lot both to buyers and search engines.. So many people think my brand new site is the best but search engines look at the age .. A 5year old site on subject A is more valuable then a 5 day old site..

The vain thing wasn't in reffernece to you lol.. Just its really worth focusing on the customer as that what a website is about..

Comment

Goldy is a good name nut if you are not selling gold items it may put people off.
                    It also depends on your style of jewellery, Goldys Grab Bag will attract a different type of customer than GG designs. A lot of the higher priced jewellery makers just use their own name. Not an option for me as a google search will turn up pages and pages about scary spice as I share her name.
                    I went through 4 or 5 name changes before settling on 303 jewellery but I am now making bags as well so it doesn't match as well as it could.
                    I would suggest buying the .co.uk and the .com so you can make sure no-one else grabs your name.
                    A few suggestions come to mind
                    Goldys Glamour
                    Goldys Glitter
                    Glamour by Goldy
                    Goldys Glimmer
                    All of these could be used with Gill instead of Goldy.
                    or make up your own word like Goldylights , Gillights, Gillightful jewellery

Melanie

Comment

Why does this have to be the hardest bit!

It took me ages to come up with mine and it is also not clear what I do from the webname, however, I like it......

I think "goldy" itself implies that your jewellery is gold (actually, reminds me of fish as my brother's first goldfish was called goldy.... )

Do you absolutely have to use goldy or is there another option?
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hi, before I had my web site I was SMT Designs, I still use that as my business name, but when I googled SMT Designs the .co.uk was taken and there were so many that I decided not to use it for my web name. I couldn't think of a good name, but read a post on a forum and decided to play around, finally came up with suelanbeadedjewellery.co.uk it wasn't taken so my web site was born. It is a mixture of my name Sue, 3 letters of my hubbies name Alan and of course I make beaded jewellery (and wedding stationery and greeting cards). Just play with it and when you find something you will know it's right.
                        Sue.
                        https://www.facebook.com/HandmadeInOtley?ref=hl
                        http://folksy.com/shops/HandmadeinOtley
                        http://www.otleyexclusive.co.uk/store/HandmadeinOtley

Comment

Hi Goldy I would suggest going with something that feel good with, it doesn't need your craft in the name, just something you are comfortable with. Customers will find your website with the metatags or keywords you include in your code, eg. the first website I created was onlinesecretary.biz and the key words and description I used were these:
                          meta name="Keywords" content="Virtual Assistant, Online Secretary, Virtual Secretary, UK Virtual Assistant, UK Virtual Secretary, Professional Secretarial Services, Word Processing, Transcription Services, Remote Office Management etc.

These all help the customers find what they are looking for, just think of what you would put into a search engine to find your craft items, and optimise your site to the search engines.

Good luck with the site, and I hope this helps. I just creating a site for my sister's and I for our jewellery, but it's just getting the time to do it!

Sally

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas and tips guys. I'll know the name when I hear it "Gillightful jewls" sounds good so far.

Comment

Cool name!

Comment

Working...
                              X