Crafters Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafters Wanted

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of setting up an art and craft shop in Tadley which is between Reading, Newbury and Basingstoke and will be renting out shelf space for crafters who would like to sell their goods in a shop. Renting a shelf will cost sellers £30 per month if you can spare 4 hours every month to help out in the shop (£45 per month if you can't) and there will be a 10% commission to pay on anything you sell, the rest is all yours.

The shop will be fully staffed, open 6 days every week (7 during the Christmas period) and we'll be running a proactive marketing and advertising campaign to help maximise sales. We'll alos be running craft workshops from the store, plus selling a good range of art and craft materials including beads and jewellery findings, Fimo, canvases, paints, brushes, carding and scrapbooking materials etc. so we're confident that we will attract a good and steady flow of customers.

We've been inundated with jewellery makers (particularly beaders!), card makers and painters and we've got a couple of ceramicists and potters but we would really like a few different crafters on board too.

We're particularly looking for hand made cushions, wood turners, candles, personalised textiles - in fact, anything a little bit different! If you think you might be interested in finding a regular affordable outlet for your hand crafted (not bought in) goods, please do get in touch! You can download a pdf copy of our sellers' information pack from our website which gives you all the information you should need.

Hope to hear from a few of you soon!
    www.doodlesartandcraft.co.uk

Find us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/173605348873

Crafters DON'T do housework!

Are the pictures on your website how it looks now or how you want it to look? (reading the pdf file implies its not ready yet) It's an interesting model you have there and not one I have come across before. Around here we have one or the other option-- either pay for rental space or commission only but not both. Also by working 4 hours people save £15 which means they are working for £3.25 per hour.Are people prepared to do this and how are they covered insurance wise?
    Chris xx
    My Website
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kiamyka View Post
      Are the pictures on your website how it looks now or how you want it to look? (reading the pdf file implies its not ready yet) It's an interesting model you have there and not one I have come across before. Around here we have one or the other option-- either pay for rental space or commission only but not both. Also by working 4 hours people save £15 which means they are working for £3.25 per hour.Are people prepared to do this and how are they covered insurance wise?
      Hi Chris!
      We're still going through a very long and protracted legal process and haven't yet actually taken possession of the shop unit (although we're nearly there now, appointmentwith solicitor tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed!).
      It used to be a supermarket which got cut in half and the half we're taking doesn't even have a door, so we will have a massive amount of work to o to it before we are up and running.
      The pictures in our pdf are mock-ups of what it will (hopefully!) look like when the work is done - we've got a new shop-front on standby ready to go in and all the shelving and units have been chosen - we can't order anything until we complete the legal work though but at least we know where we're going!
      With regards to the costs to sellers, we thought long and hard about the best way to offer space and decided to keep the static cost as low as possible (i.e. averages out at £1 per day for those who want to help out in the shop) and offer crafters a really affordable alternative to craft fairs which cost around the same price in this area for a one-day pitch. As the 10% commission charge for point of sale expenses (card reader fees , bubble wrap, bags, tissue paper etc) will only apply to goods actually sold, we felt this was the best way to minimise the financial risks to crafters who may not be so certain that their goods will sell plus of course it will help keep our takings on target.
      We will make an awful lot less profit on selling other people's goods than we will our own products even with the 10% and obviously we do need to take into account the need to balance our books. On the flip side, of course, we're hoping that our sellers will also be our customers (buying art/craft maerials from our shop), that their families and friends will become customers, and that having what we hope will resemble a permanent craft-fair in a locality that doesn't currently have a great deal to offer anyone looking for something a little bit different.
      We've had a really good response to the concept so far; most crafters are actually quite excited by the prospect and the shop itself is causing quite a buzz locally already. There have, of course, been plenty of crafters who are not interested in the idea of paying both a rental fee and commission and who think it should be one or the other, but we did kind of expect that; generally speaking, we've exceeded our initial expectations though and everybody so far has opted to rent at £30 per month and do one 4 hour shift in the shop despite it equating to a proportionately inadequate discount when you put it at an hourly wage rate.
      With regards to insurance, we will have proper cover on all product, employee and public liability counts even though techinically we won't have any employees.
      Hope this answers your questions - I'd be interested to hear what you think!
      Regards
      Melinda

Find us on Facebook

Comment

Hi Melinda I hope it all goes well for you with the solicitor - it sounds like your dreams are coming to fruition . I hope my post didn't come across as abrupt or anything I am a terrible typist so tend to be brief . My curioisty arises because of my own future plans regarding a healing centre with a retail aspect - it is early days for me and lots need to slot into place before we get there but I have faith it will so errr watch this space
        Chris xx
        My Website
        My Blog

Comment

No worries Chris - I didn't think you were being too abrupt! The shop-dream has been my "if I win the lottery...." conversation for as long as I can remember, and having spent the past 2 years trying to make it a reality I've developed really thick skin anyway as a result of several knock-backs so I'm a pretty tough old bird and seldom take offence!
          It's always good to get feedback though - even if it's negative - as trying to make a long-held dream come true can mean that you get carried away by your own enthusiasm and it's easy to have your judgment clouded and fail to see the flaws that may be more obvous to someone not so involved.
          Hope your plans can come true - healing and alternative therapies are definitely a growth market as well as thoroughly enjoyable I'm sure for those involved in providing the service. I really hope that you can get your ideas off the ground - don't let people put you off (plenty will try) and listen to your heart as well as your head! If you really love an idea, you won't be the only person who does even if sometimes it feels like it!

Find us on Facebook

Comment

I have soem Christmas decor ideas.Il have a thinky.
            https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
              I have soem Christmas decor ideas.Il have a thinky.
              Look forward to it - but hard to get head around the concept of Christmas when I'm still waiting for summer to happen! Bought a gorgeous new bikini at the beginning of the year and I haven't even worn it yet ......grrrrr!

Find us on Facebook

Comment

I'm not too far from the Tadley area so I might pop and visit the store when it opens to have a look around before making any decisions. I don't know if I can commit to the project at first but would be interested in seeing if my work would be appropriate for you.

Si.
                Wood Tattoos
                Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

Wheres the nearest train station to the shop?
                  https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                    Wheres the nearest train station to the shop?
                    I might be wrong but possibly Mortimer? Don't quote me on it!
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

Hi guys! Nice to hear from you!
                      Nearest station probably is Mortimer (well done Woody!) but there's no bus link from there to Tadley, best bet would be Basingstoke as there's a bus link outside the railway station which takes you to within a 3 minute walk of the shop. Having said that, I could pick you up from Mortimer or Aldermaston if transport is a problem as it's definitely quicker. Where are you based Seahorse? If it's Reading, there is a direct bus that runs from Reading to pretty much outside the shop, but it's not very frequent (I think theres only four buses a day) and it takes ages.
                      It woud be so nice to actually meet real people from this forum so I do hope you pop in once we're open. Where are you based Wood Tatoo?

Find us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by doodles of Tadley View Post
                        Where are you based Wood Tatoo?
                        I float mysteriously and enigmatically around the Wiltshire/Berkshire region... ... usually in a bit of a daze.

Si.
                        Wood Tattoos
                        Facebook
                        Flickr
                        Twitter

Comment

Working...
                        X