Wholesale Question From NY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wholesale Question From NY???

I'm on esty and I've received a convo from a person who 'claims' to be opening a store in New York and asking if I wholesale my items and if I have a print catalogue.

Now I'm not naive in the slightest, I'm always suspicious of things like this.

I replied saying yes, I'll post a catalogue, thinking I wouldn't get another response, but she has sent me her address.

So if this is a hoax - which I'm sure it is... what do these people get out of doing this? Bearing in mind I wouldn't send any of my work over before receiving the money!

Anybody else had this happen?
    Sarah x

Muddle Website
    Muddle's Facebook Page

Ooer, sounds a bit weird but just supposing it's not a hoax! Could you ask them more about the store? Do they have a website? I'd ask loads of questions about location, have they opened a store before, what kind of terms are they offering etc. etc. If they're genuine, they should come back with reasonable answers otherwise, I'd be a bit worried that they wanted to pinch your ideas.
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

There's also the question - are you geared up to do wholesale? If she asks you for 50 of one design and 120 of another, can you cope?

Comment

I've asked a few questions and had this response.

'hi, thank you for your email. i am opening a jewelry and gift store, i dont really like that way that sounds because i dont feel it is that accurate. as i am in the beginning stages, anything can happen. i dont have a store name or resale number but will by next week. i have a location and am negotiating with the landlord. i have had a few businesses over the last 30 years dealing in movie memorabilia, never anything like this and i am very excited and nervous. i look foward to receiving your catalog. marci'

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
        There's also the question - are you geared up to do wholesale? If she asks you for 50 of one design and 120 of another, can you cope?
        Well maybe not quite that many, but I'd have a good go at it.
        Sarah x

Muddle Website
        Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

If you're happy about sending a catalogue then 'go for it!'. I'd set out all my terms as well, like payment in advance etc. You never know, this could be the start of something big!! - I really hope it is, good luck to you
          Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

have you read the "similar thread" from roseberry crafts below ? try contact her see if its the same person and how she got on !
            good luck x x
            Thanks
            Heidi x x x

Comment

Yeah she asked me to send my terms.

I was thinking if she wanted to steal my designs, she could easily get them off my website, or off etsy, without even contacting me.

Wouldn't it be great if all enquiries like this were genuine, its terrible that we have to assume the worst all the time, until we're convinced otherwise.

Well thanks for all your replies, I'll keep you updated.
              Sarah x

Muddle Website
              Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Hmmm. I have to say that in the past I have told little porkies in order to get better terms on stuff. Like the time I told a car dealer that I was ordering the first of a fleet of cars for my new company and that I would be more inclined to deal with him again if he gave me a rock bottom price. She may ask you to let her have just a few items but at wholesale prices. Obviously I wouldn't dream of behaving in this way nowadays!
                www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by janetdc View Post
                  She may ask you to let her have just a few items but at wholesale prices.
                  Thats kind of what I thought she might be doing, if the shop isn't real!
                  Sarah x

Muddle Website
                  Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Wholesale

This lady may be genuine, I'd send the brochure but get paid up front.
                    I used to be a wholesaler that exported (not jewellery) and never had a problem with this strategy. Wholesaling is the way to grow your business.
                    Just take care to get your pricing for you items right as you are already very reasonably priced and might end up working harder for less profit.
                    Chris W.
                    x
                    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                      This lady may be genuine, I'd send the brochure but get paid up front.
                      Wholesaling is the way to grow your business.
                      Just take care to get your pricing for you items right as you are already very reasonably priced and might end up working harder for less profit.
                      Thanks for the tips.
                      Sarah x

Muddle Website
                      Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                      X