Get on google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get on google

I was just wondering, once you've got your site 'up and running' how do you get onto search engines and pretty high up if poss? Is it very expensive?
    Caz
    x

I dont know 100%...i think you need some tag words or somthing...

actually i think i'll go away and leave it for the more knowledgable ones to comment, bcoz i'll get confused then i'll confuse you...lol

..oh, i wasnt helpful really was I?

Actually, I know mr media posted a thread about seo...erm..Sight Engine Optimisation, which you may find helpful

s.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Ok, I wonder if anyone will come along soon...
      Caz
      x

Comment

You can do Google Adwords which is where you pay everytime someone clicks on your advert / sponsored link. Depending on how much you're prepared to pay you can usually get on page one of Google.

Other than that, you have to submit your site to all of the major search engines - Google, Yahoo, MSN etc. But if you want to get on the first page on Google you'll need to work REALLY hard on the content on your website. Keywords are king !! You need to make sure that all your product descriptions contain the keywords that people are likely to search on. But you can't just put a whole line of say "handmade jewellery" into a paragraph because that's called keyword spamming and Google might ban you !! It's a fine line between good keyword density and spamming !

Also, you need to have lots of links (relevant links ie. similar product lines) from other sites to your site. If you're a popular site, then Google seems to like popular sites and this will help with your ranking.

Also, submit your site to Google Shopping (used to be called Froogle), this will also help with sales.

I could go on and on and on (this is all what I've picked up during the last few weeks of my own site being live), but the main things are good product descriptions containing your relevant keywords (words that people will type in to Google to find you) and lots of links back to your site.

HTH
        Sarah
        For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

Very Helpful

This is a helpful thread, thanks for starting it. I agree with Blooming Felt.
          I have heard various tales on how long it takes to appear on Google and have been told it can take a year if you get stuck in something called the sandbox.
          Does anyone know any more about this?
          Chris W.
          x
          Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by Blooming Felt View Post
            You can do Google Adwords which is where you pay everytime someone clicks on your advert / sponsored link. Depending on how much you're prepared to pay you can usually get on page one of Google.

Other than that, you have to submit your site to all of the major search engines - Google, Yahoo, MSN etc. But if you want to get on the first page on Google you'll need to work REALLY hard on the content on your website. Keywords are king !! You need to make sure that all your product descriptions contain the keywords that people are likely to search on. But you can't just put a whole line of say "handmade jewellery" into a paragraph because that's called keyword spamming and Google might ban you !! It's a fine line between good keyword density and spamming !

Also, you need to have lots of links (relevant links ie. similar product lines) from other sites to your site. If you're a popular site, then Google seems to like popular sites and this will help with your ranking.

Also, submit your site to Google Shopping (used to be called Froogle), this will also help with sales.

I could go on and on and on (this is all what I've picked up during the last few weeks of my own site being live), but the main things are good product descriptions containing your relevant keywords (words that people will type in to Google to find you) and lots of links back to your site.

HTH
            I agree with all this it has taken quite a while for my site to be picked up regualrly, but we have added google add words recently, and am trying to get as many links as possible and we have suddenly got busier in the last month, the more people use your site the more google will pick your site up.
            www.craftyaddicts.co.uk
            for all your cardmaking and scrapbooking needs!!
            www.craftyaddict.wordpress.com
            craftyaddicts blog site
            www.heatherbees.blogspot.com
            My personal blog
            http://twitter.com/craftyaddicts

Comment

So will it cost quite a lot to get onto the top pages of google, and will I have to pay a certain amount each month to stay up there? If you paid less, would you go further back, so you wouldn't be as likely to be clicked onto your site, if you know what I mean?
              Caz
              x

Comment

I have heard various tales on how long it takes to appear on Google and have been told it can take a year if you get stuck in something called the sandbox.
                There's debate about whether the sandbox really exists, but it will take a few months for most sites to start appearing close to the top of Google - mine shot up in the rankings after about 6 months. This is because the older a domain is the more it is trusted by google. Takes a lot of hard work though, as Blooming felt says you need to get a lot of links pointing to your site (try searching for craft directories to add to), have a lot of keyword rich text on your site, and change the content regularly.
                Google products is an excellent free way to get your products on the front page of Google.

It doesn't cost anything to get up the 'organic' listings in google (the main list), just hard work. It will only cost you if you pay for adwords, the sponsored listing on the side and sometimes at the very top of the google search page.
                Last edited by Pelenna; 30-03-2008, 04:31 PM.
                Patchwork fabric shop online
                Quilting tools at great prices!

Comment

I think I prefer the 'organic' google listings, I usually don't even look at the adwords ones, because usually they are trying to sell you stuff you don't want at very high prices or have nothing to do with what you are looking for...

So how do you get onto the main page of google then, if you don't have to pay...
                  Caz
                  x

Comment

As I said, lots of links to your site, and lots of good content! Choose keywords you want to be picked up for (what people would search for to find your site) and concentrate on getting them on the website.
                    There's loads of free information out there, try doing a search for 'search engine optimisation for beginners', you'll find a few simple(ish) guides
                    Patchwork fabric shop online
                    Quilting tools at great prices!

Comment

Ok, thanks to everyone who's helped me here, its really useful
                      If anyone knows anything else that would be useful, that hasn't already been said, please let me know!
                      Caz
                      x

Comment

There's also this thread

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...ghlight=google
                        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Google

I was going to advertise my site on google but it was so expensive to put it on there - which at the mo i can't afford.

However out of the blue i have had an E. Mail from someone who has seen my site advertised on Google so somehow it is on there so i am pleased. I can't post the link to my site at the mo - still new but getting there with all the posts i am putting on this week - however if you are interested mine is www cardsandtags4all co uk. I also have a forum on there as well, have a look & please let me know your comments. I also have rubber stamps for sale please send me a personal message with your mail address in & i can then send you what i have available.

Catch you later

Christine
                          www.coshamcraftyclub.co.uk
                          www.scrapbookgetaways.co.uk
                          www.learntoscrap.co.uk

Comment

re

OMG
                            i just went on google and typed in crafty cow (my website) and to my shock and horror im on page 2 although its liked to crafts forus so thats great for us both well done both of us and good luck everyone else

MY WEBSITE
                            www.crafty-cow.webs.com

my email
                            [email protected]

Comment

set up a google webmaster account, submit site and get it verified by pasting hmtl code to main page. put an xml. site map file in your highest directory and tell google were it is. ensure your site is search engine optimized, SEO before hand. google looks for interesting and unique content, information. if all goes well you will be listed in days. if not...a year. then its about promotion and marketing.
                              Darren

www.turnerpens.com

Comment

Working...
                              X