Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NuMonday

HI
    I am going to join an online craft selling platform in January .But which one would you rcoumend being based in the UK.
    NuMonday I am being drawn to and Etsy ,but is Etsy to big now for a newbie to start with.
    Thank you for your help

Andrew

Hi Andrew. It's a quiet day on here today you probably need Caroline to tell you about her experience with Etsy, never used it myself. Lots of people now saying that it's just too big and as a new store on there with no following or customer base you will have to do masses of promotion and relistings to say ahead of the game.

Know nothing about NuMonday although I have seen it advertised.

We sell through our website and face to face at events which we find is the best way for our products. I'm sure when everyone wakes up again you will get some other opinions.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Hi Andrew, sorry did not see your post until today. I have tried various shopping sites, NuMonday is not one of them but a very interesting set of articles by Nicola 'A Handcrafted Business'. I use Etsy and Folksy, have sold on them but must admit do not put in the effort I should.

I have my own website and much prefer to sell from there, also have a business FB page and when I was posting a link to a product each day on my website was selling and getting orders. For me in 2019 will use Etsy, Folksy but mainly my website with the FB daily posts.

What you have to remember is the buying public, very few have heard of any of these sites and may not trust them if you go to an event and show that as your online sales platform. I know people that have never heard of Etsy but are quite happy to buy from my website.

After an event often get repeat sales from my site, which means having met me in person they trust to buy from me plus the buying local slogan is a good point.

For me I do not think that NuMonday has a big enough track record but may give them a go at some point. The thing I do not like is a monthly fee prefer a fee per listing. Etsy $.20 for 4 months, okay you have a final sale fee but they do take Paypal and as Nicola said Stripe is not well known. To pay £5 minimum per month and maybe no sales, would be cheaper and more professional to have your own website.

NOTHS is the other one but unsure what their selection process is for sellers. I applied but got turned down and they would not reply to my emails as to why and how I could improve etc. This in itself to me is unprofessional and downright rude. Have not tried again may just for fun in the NY but not likely to go with them as the annual fee is ridiculous.

If you do go ahead please let us all know as others may be interested to see how you get on as I would.

Comment

Hi Caroline
        Thank you so much for your help ,I am not so shore about NuMonday now one main thing I have never really heard of them before they found me on instagram .Esty just worried they are so big .
        I have tried to get on NOTHS got very close with them asking for samples and asked me to modify them which I did and resent them then back , they said they had lots of candle suppliers and would surport them.
        To day filled out application for Amazon Handmade to my surprise they got back to me with in 2 hours accepting my application ,I will look in to it. Folksy will also look in to also.
        a very big thank you
        Andrew

Comment

Hi Mo
          Big thank you ,When I look Etsy so may people are selling stuff so cheaply some of the silver jewellery the price is so low its hardly worth selling it.
          Will have to do more work on my website and getting better photos sorted out .
          All the very best
          Andrew

Comment

I still like Etsy - but I do well on there, and although the fees have gone up a little this year, it's still a very cost effective marketplace. I do bu**er all promotion, no advertising, no vouchers, no social media, and it hasn't seemed to hurt - you do need to get your tags right to suit search terms - which sometimes means thinking a little out of the box, but I'd say you have very little to lose.

It does help to get a few sales under your belt to give your shop there some credibility, and good photos are an absolute must, but these will doubtless be used elsewhere as well, so they're worth getting right.

I'd also sort out a website of your own - again, it has to look good - and with the move to mobile, it's more important than ever to keep things very simple and 'clean' in terms of design and layout. I'm actually just in the process of finishing off my own new website - which is quite a big redesign, and whilst it's time consuming, it's worth it to be completely in charge rather than having to rely on others.

The other big advantage is that provided you use open source software your costs can be limited to annual hosting - and that makes a huge difference, plus any transaction fees applied by your chosen payment processor.

Good luck - it's a big step and I hope it works really well for you.

ps. I took a look at nuMonday. It looks like it has some potential, but it's not there yet IMO. Tricky one as they need more sellers/shops/products to improve, with the catch22 being that people won't sign up unless they see the benefit. I wish them luck too!
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I agree with George and would give Etsy a go as well as Folksy, for $20c not much to lose really.

I use Karelia software and they host my site, so not having to pay each month just once a year for the hosting part.

Comment

Hi Geoge
                Thank you so much for your help great advice over the Christmas holidays will open a Etsy shop and look in to the Amazon Handmade , I have been working on my website www.chambersconcrete.com I am not happy with the photography yet so I HAVE bought a tabletop photo studio set up to retake the photos and get the images right for Etsy etc.
                All the very best
                Andrew

Comment

Thank you Caroline going to give Etsy ago for the New Year ,will post how I get on .will also have a look at Folksy.
                  Hope your Christmas sales are going well
                  Andrew

Comment

Be careful with Amazon have heard that they see how your products sell, then do their own. This was on a craft forum but may be worth checking that out

Comment

I'd also advise caution with Amazon - I think handmade may work a little better in the US, where the whole concept is more understood, but here it seems expensive, and just opens you up to Chinese fakes, which we are all vulnerable to already.

Your website is lovely - really nicely put together and some great images already. In fact, I've just bookmarked it for some shopping....
                      george
                      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thank you Caroline

Comment

Hi George
                          Your very kind thank you for the heads about Amazon
                          All the very best
                          Andrew

Comment

Nice Website Andrew.

Mo.XX
                            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                            www.bodrighy.co.uk
                            https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Working...
                            X