Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising

Hi, Just wondered if anyone has any experience with advertising their craft business?
    My local council offer grant assistance for marketing and so I want to make the best possible choice in advertising my jewellery website, as it's quite pricey...may be a one off!
    I'm hoping to place an ad somewhere.....possibly in a magazine, also to get some fliers printed and distribute locally.
    Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing and if so was it successful?
    Any stories??? would be great.
    Thanks
    Claire xx

Claire xx

Etsy Shop: www.DemonDaisy.etsy.com

Out of all the mags I have advertised in I got the best results from crafts beautiful, as for local flyers and leaflet drops, this didn't work for me. I used a leaflet distributer once that did a 2 thousand house drop, I offered a 10% off discount on the leaflet and only received 2 back. I also advertised in my local free paper and added a 10% discount and this goes out to thousands of houses and I got 7 back, all of them from regular customers. Free word of mouth seems to be the best advertising in my experience, and I have spent and am still spending an awful lot on advertising, mostly in the big craft magazines.

Heather
    www.craftyaddicts.co.uk
    for all your cardmaking and scrapbooking needs!!
    www.craftyaddict.wordpress.com
    craftyaddicts blog site
    www.heatherbees.blogspot.com
    My personal blog
    http://twitter.com/craftyaddicts

Comment

Advertising is a very difficult area where you can spend a lot of money for little return. I agree that word of mouth is the best advertising and the quality of your product. I find that I use local craft fairs as my advertising, people can see you and what you produce. Leaflets through the letterbox I am afraid generally go the way of all junk mail.
      Cynthia
      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Thank-you both for you're advice.
        That's a great help. Sounds like I'll have to be very selective on where to place an advert. Would really love to get to a craft fair as I know this must give a really good boost but I don't really know where to start, my local craft association don't take on anymore jewellery as they're oversubscribed
        I'll keep looking though!
        Thanks Again.
        Claire xx
        Claire xx

Comment

Hi Claire - leaflet drops clearly don't work for everyone, but I have found the 2 I have done (I delivered 2 lots of 300 leaflets before christmas) to be successful, and I plan to do some more - just thought I'd mention as it might still be an option for you.

I have found craft fairs to be of 'mixed' success. I agree with the previous posters that the best way to advertise is word of mouth. Target everyone you know as a potential customer (talking to them or sending a marketing email) and friends and family will usually pass the word on for you too. If you work in an office or know someone who does, they could be potential customers.. you probably have a lot more contacts than you think, and it's a good way to start. There has been previous threads on here about selling jewellery in workplaces and at private parties, might be worth a look for you.

I am attending a Business Link course next week on Marketing and I'm hoping it's going to give me lots more ideas!! Don't know if you've thought about attending something similar? I have found BL to be extremely helpful so far..

Good luck!
          www.truebloom.blogspot.com
          www.truebloom.co.uk
          My Etsy Shop

Comment

Blatant self promotion but have you thought about advertising on a popular blog like Cuteable? I agree that word of mouth is probably the best course of action. Where do you sell? Do you have a website?
            Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
            My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
            My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Hi TYP, thank-you for the advice. I think I will try the leaflets, maybe not to houses but perhaps beauty salons, hairdressers etc. And will have a look on the threads you mentioned too.
              I am planning on going to an event in Glasgow this weekend for business start-ups and there should be some information there aswell so hopefully will be able to go for it soon.
              Thanks again, it's very much appreciated.
              Claire xx
              Claire xx

Comment

Hi Claire,

Couple of quick thoughts.

If you get flyers made then you could pin some to those community notice boards that they have in supermarkets.

A cheap option for flyers is to design them yourself on a computer, print the design off and bulk photocopy them at somewhere like Staples. Black and white will cost pence each.

As mentioned already (I realise you are having problems finding one) attending craft fairs is also about showcasing your product and service ...it's not just about selling on the day.

Have you considered party plan?

Best of luck.

Regards.
                Fair Do.

Fair Do's!

Comment

Thanks for all you're replies on this. Have started a flier so will go with that for now.
                  My only way of selling at the moment is through my website.....not sure I can list it here yet??
                  But I am currently looking into getting an ebay shop!!
                  Thanks again for the help.
                  Claire xx
                  Claire xx

Comment

Website & advertising

Hi Claire,

Why don't you put your website in your signature?
                    I did from day one (which was only last week!)

Just a thought, could you leave some flyers/brochures in local hair/beauty salons? Or even put a card in the newsagents window?

Little acorns and all that .....
                    Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

Hi all, After reading many threads on here about ebay shops I 've decided it's not for me and have decided that I love Etsy and so have joined there instead! The items on there are amazing! just a wee bit intimidating! lol.
                      And thanks knitnstitchsue, for that tip on website in signature. I just wasn't sure if I could or not so will now try.
                      Claire xx
                      Claire xx

Comment

Advertising

I have tried different methods of advertising my shop locally without much success. However my last business built up through advertising very well.
                        I would think very carefully before you spend money. You could try a press release to your local newspapers, this is free. You can't beat word of mouth however.
                        Chris W.
                        x
                        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I asked my local library about it & they organised a free coffee morning where I went in and talked to a surprisingly large audience between 1000 & 1200 hrs one morning last summer. It was quite enjoyable as well. I was talking about a book I had written rather than crafts, but the local artists often put similar displays on with their paintings for sale & it seems to enjoy some success!
                          Bob

Comment

Hi

I have just started advertising my jewellery through family and friends and where I work I do an 'Avon lady. style visit to people I know in their offices and leave some items with them for a day.

I have also asked in local shops and emailed people about selling my jewellery. It also helps to get a business card- you can do this very cheap on 'vistaprint' and when your crafts come up in conversation, you can get out a card.

Its also great advertising to give as many of your crafts away for presents to family/friends (also cheaper too!) and often they will never believe you made it and they will show other people.

Chloe

Comment

yep - advertising is a tricky one, i find it cheaper to give away a few freebies now and again, and in this day and age the power of blogs is amazing!
                              Sally x

www.bootifulstampz.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X