Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-commerce experience

Hi all.

I just started an online shop, to sell hair accessories.
    I post morning, afternoon on Facebook/Twitter... but find the beginning a bit difficult, to get visitors.
    As I don't really have a sale personally, I find it a bit challenging.

Could you share your experience with e-commerce. How long it took you to get your first order, how often did you get after, how quick it was. How much effort you put on getting visitors. Just about the beginning of this big adventure

Many thanks in advance.
    Nadia

Had our first order about 3-4 days after we put the website up, get a order about once a week and had a rush over Christmas.
    Social networking twice a day is not enough i aim for about every hour or so.
    Attracting visitor wise i use facebook ads sometimes and just reply to lots of people.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

With one of my businesses I was already in the real world selling at fairs. After that it's just been listen to what my customers want, try to get it, and chances are other people will want it too. So this business works on people knowing me, using my stuff, recommending me and my website is how they contact me. So what am I getting? 3 orders a day at the moment and social networking? Almost every time I stop for a coffee break?
        Second business - doing fairs. People looked at my website but nobody bought for a whole year. But I don't put a lot of energy into this one. It's a sideline.
        AnnieAnna
        www.anniethepedlar.com
        www.littlechile.co.uk

Comment

I am not going to lie, its hard work to sell any type of goods online or off. SEO will be key in making sure that you get your website seen by the right people as you will need to attract visitors to your site that are interested in the products. Facebook/Twitter will be a good start but remember to submit your site to a couple of directories as well.

Look into online advertising like ad word as you can set a daily budget so it will only cost what you can afford at the time.

Please remember that progress can be slow, but progress is progress.

Good luck,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Thumb View Post
            I am not going to lie, its hard work to sell any type of goods online or off. SEO will be key in making sure that you get your website seen by the right people as you will need to attract visitors to your site that are interested in the products. Facebook/Twitter will be a good start but remember to submit your site to a couple of directories as well.

Look into online advertising like ad word as you can set a daily budget so it will only cost what you can afford at the time.

Please remember that progress can be slow, but progress is progress.

Good luck,

Tim
            As Tim states it takes time , many people think after they have filled a site with products thats the work done, but in most cases this is just the start.

There are many good free Seo tools online.
            Toolbug Wood Carving Chisels
            Eyelet Punch & Hole Cutters
            Our Facebook
            Free Eyelet Pliers Guide

Comment

With Twitter don't witter would be my rule...post on social media when you have something to say, don't post by the clock because your followers or likers will soon get tired of forced and meaningless flood of messages and unfriend or unfollow you
              Keep it light and positive - no one who might buy from you is remotely interested in your personal or creative problems. Don't make one thing and immediately post about it everywhere...again, too much. But post about the funny things, the nice things, some new things
              post what you want to read on other sites really...
              You might need to spend out initially on google ads but if you do monitor them by the hour because some ads just get people clicking but bring no sales. clicks do not always mean sales, they just mean money for google

Comment

Internet marketing is a long drawn out process but in the long run if you stick with it you can reap the rewards!

Comment

Who created your website for you? As this may be something to question? Search engine optimisation is how you will get found on google. What's your website link so I can check it out maybe give you a few pointers on how to promote?

Comment

You can also get hold of £75 in free advertising through Google when you spend £25. Just be careful not to let it get out of control!

Search "Google £25 free £75" on Google", (Sorry I can't post links yet).

Comment

It took nearly a week after our site was set up to get a sale and since then it's been a bit slow. I found it helpful to post online ads (we have kijiji here but there are lots of places to post for free) about our products and website...helped get more traffic to our site for free.
                      C & K Pet Designs - www.ckpets.ca

Comment

Putting your website, or Facebook link in the signature of forums with a brief description of what you do will also generate traffic. Search engines rank by the number of links you have to your website (as well as other things) and that's a good (and rather enjoyable) way to do that. It also means that people who engage positively with you on forums are more likely to visit your site - more visitors means more sales. Just remember, a forum can be the public face of your enterprise so being a mean spirited know-it-all on a forum and people will see that - via posts that end up in google searches or just from other forum members. You can spend hours on social networks positively promoting your business but a couple of mis-informed or rude posts on a forum will negate all that hard work

I agree with the advice about Google-ads but monitor it closely - I did it for years (spending about £60 per month). Then decided to stop for a few months and it made no difference to my sales at all But it's a good way to start until you business starts appearing in google search naturally

Good luck

Jude x
                        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Originally posted by chimeracraft View Post
                          Had our first order about 3-4 days after we put the website up, get a order about once a week and had a rush over Christmas.
                          Social networking twice a day is not enough i aim for about every hour or so.
                          Attracting visitor wise i use facebook ads sometimes and just reply to lots of people.
                          Hmm... personally I'd take this advice on posting frequency with a pinch of salt. You need to come up with a frequency and online strategy that aligns with your business. The one thing I would definitely suggest is, go 80/20 on sales messaging Vs enagagement. Also, get yourself a free tool like Tweetdeck or Hootsuite where you can set up your sales marketing messages way ahead of time allowing you to focus on other tasks, then check-in for less than 30 minutes per day to update and engage in real time.

Depending on the size of your audience on FB you may want do a paid like campaign to help build your community, and when you've got 1000+ likers, then focus on a FB paid advertising campaign targeting fans of your page.

For more info on these types of strategies check out Amy Porterfield, she's a boss. I'm also happy to help if I can, just send me a PM.

Comment

First step : Try to install SEO tools on your website and add keywords.

Second step : Google Adwords give good tools to positioning your website but if you don't have knowlegde to this first time will be very hard for you .

If u have more time make funpage on facebook and create account on Twitter, Good Idea too is create blog in website and make text 1500 characters or more per one text.
                            www.crafthouse.boutique.co.uk
                            Special, Unique, Individual, Personal Gifts

Comment

Same boat...I have been selling for a while and despite lots of social media I seem to have hit a selling wall! I've SEO'ed but don't seem to be getting the traffic. I do have a few loyal customers who come back regularly but I need new ones too to increase my sales. Im no marketing expert and have next to no budget. so any help offered would be greatly received.

Comment

Working...
                              X