Crafters-Boutique and Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafters-Boutique and Ebay

Hello I have an Etsy shop and a Facebook page which I sell my handmade bunting, bags cushion covers etc. I have made a few sales through my facebook page but none on Etsy. I have recently heard of the crafters boutique website and wondered if anyone had any experience with selling on here?? What is your opinion of the website and did you make any sales? Also I was thinking of selling on Ebay as I have heard of people making more sales than compared to their shops on Etsy and Folksy. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Nicki

I'd never heard of crafters boutique so I went to have a look.(not a good start?) In my own trade the stuff is very low end. So I would not sell. It costs £60-£70 to have a shop for a year. This is apparently the only charge, so good if you want to list a lot of items.
    Selling on any of these sort of websites depends on traffic coming to the site ready to spend, plus , from the seller's viewpoint, no competition.
    I would think that handmade bunting - especially if you can make bunting to order for special events - would lend itself to your own website. Ditto custom bespoke cushions. A bit more effort intially, and you have to do the promoting, but more rewarding in the future as you get noticed by google etc.

Comment

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. Thank you for your reply

Comment

It's new to me and I don't know of anyone who has sold there. There has been quite a spate of new platforms doing similar things. Etsy probably gets more traffic than any of them so maybe it's a case of getting spotted there rather than paying out for a new shop. The 12 month fee seems a little pricey to me, for example I think Wow Thank You were doing a £20 joining offer but they do charge a commission on sales.
        Jo
        www.beadtopia.co.uk
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadtopiaStudio

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
          I'd never heard of crafters boutique so I went to have a look.(not a good start?) In my own trade the stuff is very low end. So I would not sell. It costs £60-£70 to have a shop for a year. This is apparently the only charge, so good if you want to list a lot of items.
          Selling on any of these sort of websites depends on traffic coming to the site ready to spend, plus , from the seller's viewpoint, no competition.
          I would think that handmade bunting - especially if you can make bunting to order for special events - would lend itself to your own website. Ditto custom bespoke cushions. A bit more effort intially, and you have to do the promoting, but more rewarding in the future as you get noticed by google etc.
          I am involved quite heavily with Crafters Boutique and yes all you pay is your 'rent' - no fee's, commissions etc. Plus what other website sends you complimentary materials so you can promote your own shop within the website?

The website launched on the 9th Oct so is fairly new, hence why you may not have heard of it. The website has already had almost 30 sales through the website and a lot of crafters have had sales from being contacted from the website. Customers are starting to state in their orders that they found the website through good old google...

I would in no way class the items as 'low end' - if you have a good look through the website there are some stunning items in a lot of categories

Comment

Hi.
            I am in a very similar position...
            I have been selling on Etsy for a couple of years and find that the sales come in waves (busy week of 2-3 sales then quiet for 1-2 months) which seems to be due to how Etsy rotate the visibility of shops on their server. This week I have started selling on Ebay as well and have made a couple of sales already so am very pleased with that so far. I have never had much success with sales on facebook which fustrates me as I have a substantial number of likes.

I was also pointed in the direction of Crafters Boutique this week but am also dubious.
            It looks a very new venture. It could be very successful but until more potential customers know about the site and browse it like they currently do Etsy/Folksy then I don't think it is worth my money renting a shop. Traffic levels seem very low at the moment.
            I realise it is a chicken and egg thing... the more sellers there are, the more customers will be drawn to it but I feel it's extra money on top of Ebay and Etsy fees I cannot afford at the moment without the guarantee of returns.
            Am open to having my mind changed though if others are having success???

Comment

I signed up to the Crafters Boutique page and personally i think its brilliant.
              For less than what you would pay etsy you get a shop where you can add as many items as you wish, without having to pay extra to stock more than one of each item, and there is no comission charges, Just one off fee.
              I got some fab leaflets in the post to help to advertise too.

I also like this site as it isnt just left for people to find it through google. Its is linked to a FB networking page and items are regularly shared from the webwite to the FB page, getting your items seen more.
              And there is also traffic coming form other sources. Personally (finding info from statcounter.com) my shop through CB comes 5th in google rankings when you search for personalised wallet insert. And its not even been going for a month.

I dont agree with the comment about the site selling Low End items at all, as there are some beautiful items on there that deserve more recognition than being classed as low end :/

As for traffic, i added a stat counter to may page and this week alone i have had over 150 individual people view on my page,
              17% of which came from google searches.

I would recommend anyone to just give it a try and see how you get on. You can purchase for one month and see how it goes. I did and got 3 sales in the first couple of days and have had 12 in 4 weeks, not bad for a brand new website me thinks!!

Comment

If you read the post by Pearlescence again you can see she has said "In my own trade the stuff is very low end", not that all the goods are low end.

As a consumer I would automatically go to ebay first (after my local store/contacts) to look for bunting or bespoke cushions. I have had some very good items from small businesses on ebay. I know ebay fees are high so if these other platforms work out better I can see the benefit.

Comment

Working...
                X