Having 2 websites ?! Promotion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having 2 websites ?! Promotion ?

I would really like to know how best to promote my WOW Thank you shop.

I joined, because I though there will be more traffic (generally) then I can ever generate to my own website. The problem is that, if I promote website - I promote my own (not WOW)- which I think it's logical. (I have done some twetting, FB, blogging, but all the time I spend on that I rather promote my own shop, then a third party).

I do sell well through my own website, whereas I'm still waiting for my first sale from WOW.

One of my New Years resolutions is to get in grips with how to promote both websites. So, those who have your own website and second (third party one) how do you do it ? Do you take the promotion in turns ? (but why when you could just drive people to your own website) or what else I can do ?

I'm planning to spruce up the WOW shop and add more items (which I think will help generally), but what do I do with the promotion ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this & answer if you can.
    Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

I have my own websites and an Ebay store - but, to be honest with you, I do consider that promoting the site is what you are paying these third party stores for. When I fill in my accounts (for instance) my Ebay fees are entered under marketing and promotion. I would concentrate all your energy into getting your own website more visible so you can (eventually) ditch your WOW store and save yourself some money

HTH

Jude
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

I agree with Jude, I am also on wTY and have my own site. Spend more time promoting my own site than WTY. Problem with the selling sites is any advertising you do you are also advertising for everyone else, this is fine if reciprocated but could be draining if no one else bothers, so trying to get a happy medium. I have had sales through WTY but not as many as my own site and Tracey does do a lot to promote it. Have you done the press loft offer, I have not yet mainly because I only do small runs of an item would find it hard if I got large orders, as tend to buy fabric, use and then cannot get again.
      Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 14-01-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoa & Heart View Post

I joined, because I though there will be more traffic (generally) then I can ever generate to my own website.

I do sell well through my own website, whereas I'm still waiting for my first sale from WOW.

One of my New Years resolutions is to get in grips with how to promote both websites - but why when you could just drive people to your own website?
        I think you have answered your own question. There may be more traffic to WTY than to your own site (but not necessarily!) but it's not necessarily going to find your shop.

I have had shops on other websites, but never really promoted them - surely that's the site owner's job? (maybe with your support - such as retweets, Facebook likes and mentions, etc). It's different on sites like Etsy, where you do need to promote.

If you're keen to promote anyway, don't forget key words on the site, image titles, and links from blogs, Twitter and Facebook. Promotion is something that builds up over time, especially as far as search engine results go.
        digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
        blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
        hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
        blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Thanks for your replies - hm, I will need to re-think how I spend my time, but it's early days, so will chip away.

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
            I think you have answered your own question. There may be more traffic to WTY than to your own site (but not necessarily!) but it's not necessarily going to find your shop.

I have had shops on other websites, but never really promoted them - surely that's the site owner's job? (maybe with your support - such as retweets, Facebook likes and mentions, etc). It's different on sites like Etsy, where you do need to promote.

If you're keen to promote anyway, don't forget key words on the site, image titles, and links from blogs, Twitter and Facebook. Promotion is something that builds up over time, especially as far as search engine results go.
            I do use the usual mix of promoting my work, but I send people to my website. Perhaps I will try to get involved with the paid promotion and see how that goes.

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

It's a really interesting topic..

I've given loads of advice to my clients regarding this..

The key points which I hope you find useful..
              If you have your own site you need to create a brand and you own that brand.. Each time you build on that brand it can't be taken away.. Use of site like amazon remove that branding.. You are just using it as a selling platform and not and to brand...

Say something is feature in a magazine for your own site you can keep the page alive for that product and recommend other items on that page if you sell out.. With the likes of amazon/ebay/etsy/folksy etc.. once it sells it's gone..

It does take a lot longer to promote for your own site vs market places but it depends on how you wish to invest your time and money..

A client of mine has 99.9% of it's online sales from amazon and pays them 8% or so commission but hasn't invested any money in the branded site hence only 0.1% of sales..

Hope that helps...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
              (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Hi

i sell mainly on ebay but have just started a new website i think it is the way forward as the guy above says it will take much longer but will be there for longer as with ebay if you lose your top rated status ya in the pooper
                http://www.facebook.com/vinylgraphicsonline
                https://twitter.com/vinylgraphicsaf
                www.vinylgraphics-wallart.com

Comment

I agree with what others have said and would focus on promoting / driving traffic to your own site, rather than the third party site. Their own budget for promotion is partly what you are paying for when you list on there.

However, I do think that third party sites can be useful to raise the profile of your brand, particularly while you are getting established. I would look at them as a marketing opportunity as well as a sales channel, particularly if you are looking for repeat custom. Listing on the third party site gives you a more exposure and also when you get sales, there's an opportunity to include a bit of marketing material for your website - maybe a business card, or at the very least, your website address on the invoice.

I built up a lot of regular repeat website custom from people who originally found me on ebay or Amazon, but of course you do have to be aware of the rules for each particular site. For example, I believe that Amazon is a lot more pro-active these days in policing the price parity requirement - i.e. that you aren't supposed to offer products on your website cheaper than on Amazon.
                  Website
                  Facebook
                  Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X