Does it matter what name I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter what name I use?

I am looking to start selling some cards, I wanted to start on facebook and then hopefully build up maybe starting web page or craft fairs.
    I wanted to call the page Created by Amy. Will there be any restrictions on this, do I need to check anything or can I just go ahead.
    Thankyou

Welcome to the forum
    I would google the name to see if there is any business with the same name or similar....also check out whether the domain name is available....always good to check first because if down the line you want a website and the domain name isn't available then you are stuck!
    Also you need to register with HMRC if you're planning to sell...
    Good luck xx
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

There are restrictions on what you can call yourelf. You need to check if anyone else is already using created by amy. if they are you will have to think again. To use another's business name in an attempt to get business is called passing off and they could sue for damages. In any case it can get complicated if you want a website etc in due course. Better to ensure your name is unique.

Comment

Thankyou. As suggested Ive googled Created by Amy and there is a .com website for embroidery so will have to think again so glad I asked before starting! Thankyou for the hints already given I might need more as I carry on x

Comment

I think you will be safe regarding the other seller. They are based in the USA, and you're in the UK (I presume), so I don't see there being any conflict.
          ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Do you think so I am and I really like the name.

Comment

Originally posted by amyb View Post
              Do you think so I am and I really like the name.
              Just bear in mind that there is already a website in that name....an established website so if people search for you, they're likely to be sent to the US business....I would think very carefully about picking this name personally. xx
              Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

What about Created by Amy.B?
                Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Thankyou and yes you are right. I like created by Amy B thankyou xx

Comment

I just googled my name Elizabeth Laker to make sure no one was using it. It didn't come up with anything so hopefully I have pinched anyone's name!

Comment

how do i check to see if the domain name is available
                      www.myeviemyrose.etsy.com http://www.facebook.com/myeviemyroseuk

Comment

Originally posted by taytotayto View Post
                        how do i check to see if the domain name is available
                        Go to somewhere like 1&1 and search for the domain name you want....it will tell you what variations are available
                        Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Working...
                        X