Anyone used My Own Creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used My Own Creation?

I've come across the website myowncreation. It's cheaper then Etsy and Folksy to put things on to sell so I was thinking of giving it a try. Does anyone have any reviews?

Thanks!
    Bespoke handcrafted bracelets by Charmed Soul

www.charmedsoul.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/charmedsouluk (keep checking for regular offers and competitions!)

I've never heard of it - to be fair, you can probably sell well on it if you promote promote promote.... It might be cheaper than Etsy or Folksy but does it get a lot of traffic? A good way to test this is to use search engines to look for the kind of thing you make. See which seller hub (Folksy/Etsy etc) comes up first.... Both of these marketplaces will have dedicated shoppers who always go there to look for items, anyone else will get there via a search engine. Does My Own Creation come up? (It didn't on my searches). I personally don't like how it looks.....it looks a little cheap and cheerful and there are spelling mistakes in their information pages......never a good thing....ok, maybe I wouldn't care about spelling mistakes if they came up on the top of a Google or Bing search.......

I think it's the kind of place that you would sell from if you gave out a gazillion business cards and this was your listed seller venue.
    Last edited by blackwillow; 30-12-2012, 08:18 PM.
    Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Just had a look and it's not easy to use from a buyers point of view.
      So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

Yeah I thought it didn't look very professional - may give it a miss for now and stick to somewhere else. Thanks!
        Bespoke handcrafted bracelets by Charmed Soul

www.charmedsoul.co.uk
        www.facebook.com/charmedsouluk (keep checking for regular offers and competitions!)

Comment

Just been over to have a look around.Does need a lot of work on it and there are already so many similar selling sites out there already whos images are a lot more eyecatching.Do you know anyone who has sold anything on there as recomendations sometimes do help you when making the desicion to try it out.
          ***I can't promise you the MOON, but I can promise SPARKLE.***

http://wiganscraftyfriends.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

It's cheaper then Etsy and Folksy to put things on to sell so I was thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

To be honest - I would not use it as a customer (it look very amateurish as website, pictures are poor quality etc), so I would not use it as a seller. Do check the money side of things - because it might cost only 10p a month to list your item, but it might take you whole year to sell it. I think other sides charge per item and then when you sell, but not monthly.

Do look at other website and compare (check threads on this forum - there is loads to read) and good luck !
            Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Ooh! That is a tricksy site to get round. It's not very intuitive and I too dislike the spelling errors and all those unecessary capital letters make me shudder.

If anyone knows them, or feels brave, perhaps we could get in touch and help them make it better? The more outlets the better, surely.
              Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post
                Ooh! That is a tricksy site to get round. It's not very intuitive and I too dislike the spelling errors and all those unecessary capital letters make me shudder.

If anyone knows them, or feels brave, perhaps we could get in touch and help them make it better? The more outlets the better, surely.
                That's a very good point actually, maybe someone should offer some feedback.
                Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I think that my opinion is about the same as everyone else's it does not look professional and is hard to navigate.
                  I did not see it in any of the craft or jewellery related web searches. It may be cheaper but you get what you pay for
                  Uk made handcrafted jewellery seen here
                  jewellery made by hand found here
                  Unique and unusual necklaces at this site
                  "Fashion comes and goes but style is eternal" Yves St Lauren

Comment

I found it before I'd even heard of Etsy and folksy, so subsequently used it to start my initial online shop. I paid £12 for the year long pro membership - which means it doesn't cost me to list anything, and the way the payment method seems to work is directly through my paypal account - so they don't make any commision on my sales.

They have a thing called 'fans' (of which I have over 60) but aside from being told I have a new fan it doesn't give me any more information about them or an opportunity to interact with them. You can also see how many times an item has been viewed - but again this just gives me a number but without any other information.

On the positive side their customer service is amazing - helping solve problems I was having on a Sunday afternoon - which rather impressed me. I've sold a few cards on there - one to a total stranger (who must have happened upon it somehow). In the end I decided it wasn't working for me - not least because the web address for my online shop was more than a mouthful.

As I've paid for the year I've still got items listed and will continue to do so untill my subscription is up, although there is a link for people to click on to my new shop, which is hosted on my own website with my own domain - now I've installed various tracker thingys so I can get a little more information about what people are looking for.

http://www.myowncreation.co.uk/shop/Lucy_Blossom_Crafts/
                    - if you want to see what it looks like
                    Last edited by Lucy Blossom; 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM. Reason: Added web address for interested people
                    Lucy Blossom
                    Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
                    https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Working...
                    X