Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Fair payments using credit and debit cards

Hi,
    I am going to try and sell my sculptures at a fair this Summer and am not sure what the best way to accept payments at the fair is going to be. I am not sure about accepting cheques, that might bounce, and customers might not be carrying enough cash on them. Ideally I would like to accept credit and debit cards payments but how do I do that? Has anyone got any advice, please? Thanks, ECain

I have just signed up for iZettle, not used yet and a bit limiting with the number of cards it takes. It is a device that connects to and iphone or ipad. So many out there but a lot of them have quite a hefty monthly fee but then if you have high ticket items this may not be a problem

Comment

Use the search facility (top right) to search the forum for chip and pin or card payments - there are literally dozens of threads on the subject already here.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Hi , as Caroleecrafts has mentioned iZettle is a little gadget that fits onto a smartphone and makes it a little chip and pin card reader - also coming up along similar lines is Mpowa, which unlike iZettle accepts Visa, and Paypal Here is also launching a gadget to attach to smartphones too - but when is anybody's guess, UK roll-out is way down their to do list it seems. The Mpowa app is available now from itunes and they should be sending out cardreaders for free when you register - but I have been waiting a while now with no confirmation email, or replies to my email enquiries...so we'll see. The major advantage (should these actually work in the real world as promised) is the lack of monthly subscription charges that put most of us off the existing PDQ machines on offer, Mpowa charge only a transaction fee.
        Hope that helps!
        http://www.facebook.com/nova.and.lorsten.decoupage
        http://www.novalorsten.co.uk

Comment

I just checked out the MPowa website it sounds too good to be true but it could be just what we all need finally!
          Chris xx
          My Website
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
            Hi , as Caroleecrafts has mentioned iZettle is a little gadget that fits onto a smartphone and makes it a little chip and pin card reader - also coming up along similar lines is Mpowa, which unlike iZettle accepts Visa, and Paypal Here is also launching a gadget to attach to smartphones too - but when is anybody's guess, UK roll-out is way down their to do list it seems. The Mpowa app is available now from itunes and they should be sending out cardreaders for free when you register - but I have been waiting a while now with no confirmation email, or replies to my email enquiries...so we'll see. The major advantage (should these actually work in the real world as promised) is the lack of monthly subscription charges that put most of us off the existing PDQ machines on offer, Mpowa charge only a transaction fee.
            Hope that helps!
            Hi,

Couldn't help reading the thread, I've come across another answer to the chip and pin dilema, at present it only works with smartphones but not iphones, however I understand that will soon change. There is no contract and you can buy the pinpad outright check out
            [mod edit - please read rules]
            Last edited by removed10; 19-07-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Elfordo,
              thanks for the sugegstions -I took a look at the website and quickly saw it wouldnt work for me as 1) I have an iphone and don't want to buy or subscribe to extra equipment, 2) I dont have 7k or more turnover 3) I do not want a regular monthly bill - but I am sure it would suit some companies more than me. Probably a lot larger who do face-to-face sales all the time. I would rather pay a higher transaction fee than a minimum monthly fee as I do fairs only now and again- this is what Mpowa seem to offer - now if they could just step up their customer service and respond to emails we might actually get somewhere...!
              http://www.facebook.com/nova.and.lorsten.decoupage
              http://www.novalorsten.co.uk

Comment

Oops you do indeed, I remember reading that, I do know some artists friends of mine is using the eMerit system but with a Blackberry. I've just looked on the site and it does say they will be introducing the system to marry with the iphone ... probably just in time to receive your email from Mpowa! I might get one myself but I'll pay £200:00 for the hardware then I only have to fork out 3% per transaction and nothing else. What I do like is the fact that the eMerit looks more like a card machine and all the information goes in that machine not on the phone.

Comment

Just a quick note with any of the above you will need a merchant bank account to be able to accept card payments - something else to apply for!!!

Comment

AND PAY FOR.

I heard on the grapevine PayPal is trying to come up with something. I'd advise hanging on a bit until they all get their acts sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiamyka View Post
                      I just checked out the MPowa website it sounds too good to be true but it could be just what we all need finally!
                      I feel the same about Mpowa and they always say if it sounds too good to be true then it is too good to be true so I am hanging back. But there is a comparable product in the US which has really taken off ( typically I have forgotten its name ) so it maybe that MPowa is all that its says on the tin. I certainly hope so
                      Helping UK craftspeople make a living http://handmadelives.wordpress.com relaxing reads, quizzes, mentoring, profiles

Comment

Hi, thank you all for your advice so far.
                        The problem is that mpowa, like paypal here, square, etc. are not available in the UK! I looked into a hand held device and, between the actual hardware hire and the setting up of the merchant account, it is going to cost me a fortune. 123 Hire combined with Streamline offer a short term hire but it is still quite expensive at £268 for the one fair.

I am planning to test the market at this fair and if my sculptures don't sell I will not be setting up a business - it would be nice to test the market without making a massive loss... What I need right now is an affordable way of taking card payments as a one off. I'm a bit stuck. Any way round having to take chip and pin when face to face with a customer? Is chip and pin actually a legal requirement or could I set up my laptop to take over the phone payments and do it like that, even though it's face to face rather than over the phone?
                        ECain

Comment

it is going to cost me a fortune
                          £400 a year last time I added it up. Don't forget the card people take a cut each time you make a sale....as well as hiring you out the machine.....insisting on merchant accounts ....and that personal data collection thingy....and......

I've always taken cheques and still do. No probs.
                          If you have an all singing all dancing phone you can get a bump ap to do instant PayPal transactions.
                          You can do the normal PayPal thing by connecting to the web.
                          If you have a buy now website you can bring that up on your phone.
                          The trouble with my phone is it runs out of juice in a day.
                          I do 3 day fairs in a field. My chip and pin machine has lasted 5 days before needing recharging.

You can actually ask the customer to trapse to a cash point and pull out some cash.
                          As soon as I got my chip and pin machine they installed a cash machine at the big fair I had bought it for - doh, doh and triple doh!

There's no legal obligation that anyone has to pay you the chip and pin way. I sold to some Americans last week and they had really old fashioned cards . They had to sign the print outs! I'd heard the US hadn't gone down the chip and pin road but was in shock as they seemed so behind the times.

Comment

I feel the only way you will be able to take payment at the fair would be to use a laptop with mobile connection and then get the customer to pay you using their paypal account.

On the other hand you could still accept a cheque or ask them to go to the nearest cash point (provided your sculptures are lower priced than the cash point dispense limit).

If they really want your work they will find a way to get you the money.

Roger

Comment

I get my mobile chip & pin via my membership of the FSB (Federation of Small Businesses). I pay around £28-£30 a month including charges and it pays for itself over and over again! My products average at around £6 each so if you are selling higher value items, it is a real no-brainer!

The problem I have with these devices which attach to mobile phones & laptops is a: they tend not to issue receipts b: I would be very reluctant to enter details whilst attached to another person's mobile phone or ipad (had identity stolen so very wary!) and c: not knowing the actual companies involved would make me nervous as a trader!

By going through the FSB, your commissions are lower, the machine rental is less (you can choose to buy your machine but renting worked out better for me) and the business bank you need to take payments by card is free too - they even give you a £25 bonus on the anniversary of starting your account! Yes, there is a membership fee for the FSB (mine is £120 annually) but adding up everything, it still works out in my favour.

Hope this helps - worth looking into.
                              Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                              Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                              Follow me on Twitter:
                              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Working...
                              X