Selling £20 plus items at Craft Fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling £20 plus items at Craft Fairs

Is there anyone who finds that items over in and over this price band sell well at craft fairs? I did a lot of fairs early this year and made very few sales. I tried to offer cheaper items such as photo frames and coasters, to attract buyers, but this still didn't work. I really like doing craft fairs but I lost so much money on them I haven't done any for quite a few months now. Any experiences shared would be much appreciated!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

You have my sympathy. I'm in exactly the same posistion for prices as my shoes sell for between £15 & £17.50 and always end up beside the stall that has things for sale at a couple of £sss. Anyway I started to make corsages (buttonholes) and at least I have things on my stall that can match them price wise.

For the first time this year I bit the bullet and did larger events. High volume traffic of people but it was a big chance because of the money But.... it seemed to pay off.

From what I understand your mirrors are fantastic and I'm sure you will do really well with them.

Cheers for now P.s Just check out your site and they are !
    Janice
    Last edited by Rodeo Lady; 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM.
    www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

I think it is very difficult to send higher priced items, it seems to be very hit or miss to me. I have almost completely given up on fairs because even if I did sell it only just covered the expenses, which makes doing the craft fair pointless. I am still doing a ladies shopping evening because they take up less time and cost alot less for the stall, plus the stall money goes to a local playgroup so even if I do loose my money its for a good cause. Last years was packed and I sold a higher priced painting but this year I'm doing some cards which I am hoping will cover table costs. Its a bit of a lottery though. I wish I had the answers.
      Amanda
      xx

Comment

Just curious . How often do you get asked if you take credit/bank cards ?

I do all the time at the smaller fairs.

Janice.
        www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

I have this problem too. I sell gifts from £8-£42 and I don't bother to take anything to a show that costs more than around £20. The higher priced gifts sell well online but not at shows. I don't know whether it's because people don't carry cheque books with them anymore and haven't always got cash, or whether they think if they're buying from a stall everything should be cheap!

It's a shame that craft shows aren't more of a success. I only do a few and use them as marketing. I've just had new leaflets and brochures printed with all my new products on and give them out to anyone who comes close to the stall! At least that way they can look at my website when they get home if they want to.

Leanna
          www.purethoughts.co.uk
          Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

I too was selling items over £15 so I made some items at £2 -£5 as loss leaders really just to attract people to my stand so I wasn't looking like 'Billy no friends' whilst everyone was crowded round cheaper item stalls.

I found this did work, and people did go for the cheaper items although they still handed over £20 notes (from cash machines) for the £2 items!!. Now I have to carry lots of small change.

Comment

I'm quite inexperienced in this, as I'm a pretty new crafter, but have had mixed success with higher priced items. Mostly I don't sell any but occasionally one goes, and at the last fair I sold three higher priced items at 35, 40 and 50 quid. All seems a bit hit and miss.

Personally I think they're well worth taking as:

a: if you sell 1 it can make a massive difference to the days takings.

b: people often seem interested and then take a card, so can always lead to something later.

c: Not always applicable but larger items are often bigger and more impressive, and therefore draw people in to your stall to look at the smaller stuff which may not have caught their eye. Also hopefully help people to remember you/your stall.

Just my thoughts anyway.
              www.wonkytoad.co.uk - Unusual Handcrafted Wooden Creations.

Comment

I've been attending a craft fair in town pretty regularly since February, and I've only sold about 5 things at £20. Strangely though, a lot of people spend a lot of decision making time on items at £6 or £7 but the people who bought the more expensive items made the decision to buy them instantly! My dad suggested that perhaps things can be too inexpensive, and it puts people off buying (because they associate price with quality), but this thread makes me doubt that a bit!

Comment

I do think that you stand a better chance selling the higher price items at the larger shows (Sandringham, Hatfield House, Blenhiem etc etc) and the show should always be seen as marketting as well as selling. A friend of mine (who also happens to sell mirrors) often just covers their costs at shows but the money comes from the commissions they recieve afterwards and the traffic to their website. Anyone who shows the slightest interest in their mirrors is gien a leaflet with some picture and their Web Address on it.

I know it can be a gamble doing the larger shows, £200 - £300 for the stand , accomadation, petrol etc etc BUT this is where the full time crafters make the bulk of their money. Its the difference between selling to someone who is specifically looking for your item and does a search on the internet and selling to someone who walks by your stand and likes what they see.
                  Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
                  No Membership just visit & Browse
                  Craftville.com

Comment

A change of attitude....

I'm afraid reading these postings has made me quite angry. I often find that people are embarrassed to ask for a reasonable price for their handmade items. Selling things for 2 or 3 pounds is shameful at a craft fair (perhaps they should be renamed 'design fair') and only makes yourself look rubbish (even if you are not rubbish) and degrades the whole event for other exhibitors. My biggest bugbear at these events is lack of ambition from other exhibitors. Have display / prices printed properly - please NO handwritten scribbles and check spelling mistakes. All of these cheapen the look of the stall. I regularly sell items over £20 and £30 and £40. Raise the ambition and you will raise your sales.

Comment

Originally posted by helenwoodward View Post
                      I'm afraid reading these postings has made me quite angry. I often find that people are embarrassed to ask for a reasonable price for their handmade items. Selling things for 2 or 3 pounds is shameful at a craft fair (perhaps they should be renamed 'design fair') and only makes yourself look rubbish (even if you are not rubbish) and degrades the whole event for other exhibitors. My biggest bugbear at these events is lack of ambition from other exhibitors. Have display / prices printed properly - please NO handwritten scribbles and check spelling mistakes. All of these cheapen the look of the stall. I regularly sell items over £20 and £30 and £40. Raise the ambition and you will raise your sales.

And Hello and welcome to you too!!!
                      Rach

Facebook
                      Website
                      Blog
                      Folksy

Comment

Whilst I agree that a lot of crafters underprice their work I also feel there is a place for realistically priced cheap articles. I have a range of things from £150 to £2 Highest is for a sculptural piece and the lowest for small kids stuff and keyrings that take me 10 minutes to make from scrap bits of wood. I also get a bit annoyed at the crafters who have things that are selling for less than the materials cost and are obviously not in it to earn a living as I and others are. I can't speak for other crafts but when I see the prices of woodturning in the States and the position it holds in the market as an art form I feel like emigrating. Problem is I'd have to go on my own

Pete
                        Last edited by bodrighy; 19-10-2009, 06:32 PM.
                        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                        Facebook

Website

Comment

I find things like bracelets, earrings and phone charms sell best as people dont carry large amounts of cash on them.
                          Handmade Jewellery
                          Follow me on Twitter
                          www.
                          elizakate.co.uk
                          Etsy Shop!

Comment

There are items on my textiles stall priced over £20 and whilst I know that the chances are that no-one there will have that much cash on them I'm not lowering my prices. I do feel as though I'm already under-princing some items but I'm not lowering them further just to suit the craft fair audience, I'd rather find another outlet for them and keep my prices
                            www.lucyliz.co.uk
                            Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...99555560065251
                            Blog: http://lucy-liz.blogspot.com/
                            Twitter: @lucy_liz

Comment

have to say a lot of sense in that last post,we have a varied price range of goods on display(with nice price tags) and most of our products are from £15 to £40 with the odd bigger price.If people like something on your stand and they want it quite often the price dosn't matter to them and they buy it.people dont like to ask you how much something is in case they cant afford it.

Comment

Working...
                              X