Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of both blog and website ?

Hi all,

I am after some advice on blogs and websites.

Can you share with me your experience of having both blog and website ?

I would like to know if there is any benefit of having both separately. Some websites do have blog included as part of the website layout, but I wonder if there is a benefit of having blog separatelly. Would this produce more trafic flow from and to the website ? Would it also mean that the main website does not get 'cluttered' with pictures and all the bloggy stuff ? (could this slow down the downloading of the website to potential customers ?). Or is is better to have everything included on one media (website) ?

Any experience and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Cocoa & Heart
    Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

I can have both together but opted to use blogger as a separate platform felt that it spread my rankings more and more chance of my business name getting onto the www.

Comment

From what I've read, having your blog as part of your website is supposed to help you with your rankings more than having the two things seperate. Having the two together shouldn't make your website slower to load for some people. It's what you've got on an individual webpage that determines how fast it loads.
      Stephen
      Website - Soy of the North
      Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
      Twitter - random thoughts
      Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

Having a blog as part of your website will help with the way google 'sees' it. Google likes new and changing content and ranks it accordingly.
        so if your blog is part of your website then the website will be pushed up the rankings. If it is separate to your website just make sure there are lots of links etc.
        treat your website as your showcase (shop) and your blog as news and views. You can make the blog what you want - chatty/friendly/professional, but putting photos on makes it pretty and ensures people come back for more. You can post about how things are made, where you sell, news, new products etc
        Hmade.co.uk

Comment

what they said! I have both of mine together, and in promoting my blog, I get traffic around the rest of the sight too.

That said, Blogger offers a community, which you may value

Lucy xxx
          Lucy Moseley Moseley's Giftware
          Blog: http://www.moseleysgiftware.co.uk/blog
          Twitter: http://http://twitter.com/#!/lucy_moseley
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/moseleysgiftware

Comment

Thank you for your help ! All said, it looks like it is a personal preference, but your experience & ideas was useful - as ever.

Still grapling with the technology, but I am determined to win...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

I have been wondering about this myself, I have a blog on blogger and i'm in the process of designing a website which has the option of a blog. I think I will keep the two seperate because I am not sure if the website host I am using will be the same in 12 months time and I don't want to lose the few followers that I have. I will add a link to my website for people to follow my blog and vice versa and see how it goes.
              Facebook page: www.facebook.com/jamdalory
              My blog: http://jamdalory.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some great comments and advice above! My preference would be to have the blog as part of the website and that way helping to convince search engines that you have the authority on your chosen subject. Also any traffic will arrive directly to your website rather than relying upon potential customers clicking on links.

That said, there are other possible benefits of having them separate; You could end up with two listings on the Google search for a chosen keyword; your website page and your blog post. This may increase your chances of being clicked on and will hopefully push any competition down the list.

Also, a blogger.com blogs tend to attract a worldwide audience. So if your website is primarily targeted to UK (i.e. .co.uk) and you want to branch out it might be worth considering.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mick
                Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

Thanks for all your advice - in the end I decided to keep it separate, but link the blog to my website and still list the blog there. I intend to keep the website fresh with regular updates, so that should help with the 'activity ranking'. I like that blog is separate and feels more intimate and people can find out more about you and what you do, whereas website is more business focused. I also started facebook, to have all bases covered. I will stop at twitter, othewise I will not get any crafting done !

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Thank you to all of the above for providing answers to this question, your information has helped me a lot. Good luck original poster with your website and blog

Comment

Oh, hi there ! I'm glad, that somebody else find this information useful. I posted the original question nearly 9 months ago and now - well - website, blog, another blog, facebook, twitter - and everything else ! The global takeover will be next...LOL - not...

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

I think in an ideal world you start blogging before you have a website, the blog is a softening up herald. Its there to attract an audience which you can direct to your shows and sales places and eventually when you business is ready for it to your website
                        Helping UK craftspeople make a living http://handmadelives.wordpress.com relaxing reads, quizzes, mentoring, profiles

Comment

The increasing popularity of blogs which we have seen over the last 5-8 years now, marching almost hand-in-hand with all the social media hype provides us with a broader variety of ways to present our crafts, however getting into the topic can seem to be slighly confusing.

I personally believe that having a blog as a section for your website is the way to go - Google regularly announces the variety of updates for their search rankings, and the current trend is "all about the content", which is not so difficult to define as - "we shall rank the sites that focus not only on the presentation of their goods/services, we will value content-about-the-matter providing sites as more valuable or the searcher." If you have a blog on your site, which you regularly update with interesting articles on your specialties, the website will be considered as "user-friendlier" causing a chance for it to be organically ranked higher when people base their search on keywords that define your industry. In addition, your article (with additional promotion) can be submitted to a variety of Article Directories, including a link to the original source of the post - great if that happens to be a part of the larger picture of you, as being directed to a separate blog creates an additional step for the visitor. As the world continues to progress towards a "one-click/finger-tap" operations, you should make your work as easily and wisely accesible as is possible. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Amaria View Post
                            The increasing popularity of blogs which we have seen over the last 5-8 years now, marching almost hand-in-hand with all the social media hype provides us with a broader variety of ways to present our crafts, however getting into the topic can seem to be slighly confusing.

I personally believe that having a blog as a section for your website is the way to go - Google regularly announces the variety of updates for their search rankings, and the current trend is "all about the content", which is not so difficult to define as - "we shall rank the sites that focus not only on the presentation of their goods/services, we will value content-about-the-matter providing sites as more valuable or the searcher." If you have a blog on your site, which you regularly update with interesting articles on your specialties, the website will be considered as "user-friendlier" causing a chance for it to be organically ranked higher when people base their search on keywords that define your industry. In addition, your article (with additional promotion) can be submitted to a variety of Article Directories, including a link to the original source of the post - great if that happens to be a part of the larger picture of you, as being directed to a separate blog creates an additional step for the visitor. As the world continues to progress towards a "one-click/finger-tap" operations, you should make your work as easily and wisely accesible as is possible. Good luck!
                            I finally decided to keep my blog (on Blogger) and build it into my website. That way, I have both and don't have to write another blog within the website. I know, that means, that the content on the website doesn't include the blog, but I'm trying to make the website interesting in other ways (have news section etc.)

What's interesting (not surprising though), that my other website is purely on blogger and because Google thinks it's a blog I get load more visitors then to my main website (that's changing now as well, but certainly at the beginning it was like that).

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

Working...
                            X