Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Imprinters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Credit Card Imprinters

    Hi all

    I'm new to these boards, and have just set up my own jewellery business and am preparing for my very first craft fair.

    I've seen some threads here about mobile credit card terminals, but does anyone know if the old zip-zap manual imprinters can still be used, and if so how to get hold of one? I really want to accept credit/debit cards, but I doubt I'll be able to get a chip & pin terminal before my first craft fair.

    TIA
    www.narah.co.uk
    Exquisite hand crafted jewellery

  • #2
    hmm.. Might be able to still get them but then people might not us them.. hmm..

    I assume your crafts will cost alot ?

    Most people who want something and if the fair is in a town would be more than happy to go and get cash unless your talking mega £££..

    BTW

    We have a intro section come and say hello
    .


    Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

    Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

    Comment


    • #3
      They are known in 'the business' as click clack machines. Think of them being the pac man of the computer world today......

      hello also

      Comment


      • #4
        They are still available as HSBC have just supplied me with one. I have an Internet Merchant Account with HSBC and rung them to see what my best option was for taking cards at shows and they suggested the old style machine and sent one through complete with all the carbon copy forms. I've not actually used it yet but all looks pretty straight-forward - you just need to return all the slips to them within 3 days for processing.
        www.woodsprites.co.uk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Woodsprite View Post
          They are still available as HSBC have just supplied me with one. I have an Internet Merchant Account with HSBC and rung them to see what my best option was for taking cards at shows and they suggested the old style machine and sent one through complete with all the carbon copy forms. I've not actually used it yet but all looks pretty straight-forward - you just need to return all the slips to them within 3 days for processing.
          That's interesting as they told me I'd have to have a mobile one. Hmmmm. Might have to re-investigate.
          Blog Website Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            About a month ago they sent it through - I just rung them on their 'Secure E-Payments' existing customer line of 0845 702 3344, explained I'd got the Internet Account but might like to go to shows and take cards, stating that at some of the shows I might not have access to phone line/electric so may not be able to use a portable terminal and they suggested the 'old-fashioned route' and promptly supplied the equipment.
            www.woodsprites.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe it's because you've got a merchant account? I've only got an ordinary account in my name with them......
              Blog Website Flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for all the replies, yes my jewellery all cost from £15, so I believe taking credit cards at shows would increase my sales.

                I have found an online place that can supply personalised 'click clack' machines in the UK (primatel) if you can't get one from your bank, and they aren't expensive. However they did warn me that word can get out if you are using these types of machines to take payment, as you only put the payments through (paypal or worldpay etc) once you get home, so fraud could be a problem. However as a short term/back up solution I will definitely get one.

                Thanks again!
                www.narah.co.uk
                Exquisite hand crafted jewellery

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by silversmith76 View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies, yes my jewellery all cost from £15, so I believe taking credit cards at shows would increase my sales.

                  I have found an online place that can supply personalised 'click clack' machines in the UK (primatel) if you can't get one from your bank, and they aren't expensive. However they did warn me that word can get out if you are using these types of machines to take payment, as you only put the payments through (paypal or worldpay etc) once you get home, so fraud could be a problem. However as a short term/back up solution I will definitely get one.

                  Thanks again!
                  Personally I wouldn't do this! You stand to lose a small fortune! You'll be an easy target.

                  I use chip and pin but still have the old click clack machines for the times the signal is poor. When you take a payment by this method we still have to phone in for autherisation from our merchant account while the customer is there. I've had one customer (I use the term lightly) that was uneasy with me phoning in.............why? because the card was stolen and I was told to keep it. That was not a pleasant experience but it saved me losing a lot of money and saving others from their deciet.

                  Card thiefs will stand back and watch for those who take cards with the click clack, see that they don't phone through and target them, it's not just about word getting out.

                  Be careful in your decision

                  Fran

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fran View Post
                    Personally I wouldn't do this! You stand to lose a small fortune! You'll be an easy target.

                    I use chip and pin but still have the old click clack machines for the times the signal is poor. When you take a payment by this method we still have to phone in for autherisation from our merchant account while the customer is there. I've had one customer (I use the term lightly) that was uneasy with me phoning in.............why? because the card was stolen and I was told to keep it. That was not a pleasant experience but it saved me losing a lot of money and saving others from their deciet.

                    Card thiefs will stand back and watch for those who take cards with the click clack, see that they don't phone through and target them, it's not just about word getting out.

                    Be careful in your decision

                    Fran
                    Fran,

                    thanks for the advice, yes this is something I'd be very worried about with this system, my problem is that I don't plan to do enough craft markets to warrant the cost of a chip and pin terminal, maybe I should just stick to cash sales.
                    www.narah.co.uk
                    Exquisite hand crafted jewellery

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm sorry to bring bad news like that. I completely understand your dilema, it took me 3years arguing with myself.........should I, shouldn't I. When I did, I've never looked back, sales have been easier and greater.

                      Fran

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by silversmith76 View Post
                        Fran,

                        thanks for the advice, yes this is something I'd be very worried about with this system, my problem is that I don't plan to do enough craft markets to warrant the cost of a chip and pin terminal, maybe I should just stick to cash sales.
                        Cash or cheque with a guarantee card and ID.

                        One alternative could be to have a laptop with an internet connection (£15 a month from three, for example), and if people want to pay by credit card take their money via PayPal over the web there and then.
                        It's never too late to gyrate!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post
                          One alternative could be to have a laptop with an internet connection (£15 a month from three, for example), and if people want to pay by credit card take their money via PayPal over the web there and then.
                          Yeah, I've thought about doing that. Mind you, the only time I've ever been asked if I took credit cards was a man (go figure) wanting to pay for a £2 ring ......!
                          Blog Website Flickr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                            Yeah, I've thought about doing that. Mind you, the only time I've ever been asked if I took credit cards was a man (go figure) wanting to pay for a £2 ring ......!
                            If you take credit cards, you can always have a minimum charge - so either you get more sales, or you have to charge a surcharge.

                            Win - win all round!
                            It's never too late to gyrate!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post
                              Cash or cheque with a guarantee card and ID.

                              One alternative could be to have a laptop with an internet connection (£15 a month from three, for example), and if people want to pay by credit card take their money via PayPal over the web there and then.
                              That's a great idea, my fiance mentioned that too.

                              You just have to hope you aren't in a black spot...
                              www.narah.co.uk
                              Exquisite hand crafted jewellery

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X