Selling Freelance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Freelance?

I wonder if anybody has any advice on this, I currently sell my products online and through a few shops but am really trying to get myself out there to offer my services as a freelancer. Does anybody know of any agencies or similar where I would need to register to get the work? In particular for my leather skills as there does seem to be quite a big call for this but can't seem to get my foot in there!
    Dee x
    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Originally posted by dee_liteful View Post
    I wonder if anybody has any advice on this, I currently sell my products online and through a few shops but am really trying to get myself out there to offer my services as a freelancer. Does anybody know of any agencies or similar where I would need to register to get the work? In particular for my leather skills as there does seem to be quite a big call for this but can't seem to get my foot in there!
    Hi Dee (I had to wrestle there and not add another "Hi", my nieces name is Dee too and I do it every time )

It's a good idea and something I was thinking about in the future but you have reminded me to look into it again so thank you.

I found this and thought it interesting.... http://www.freelanceuk.com/news/2183.shtml and this too from the same website.... http://www.freelanceuk.com/become/is...g_for_me.shtml

As you live in Lincoln could you make some "Lincoln Green" Medieval style items and sell them through the Tourist shops there or Newark, Sherwood Forest etc.?

I saw a guy selling all sorts of leather goodies from handbags, quivers for arrows and jewellery all made from leather at an event at the Sherwood Forest Robin Hood Festival. His stall looked a bit bare as most of his stock had gone, perhaps because he is selling and trying to make them at the same time? Would someone like that need a freelance leather crafter? Just thinking out loud there.

Vik

"To some the word “freelancer” may have a certain stigma of a maverick who ignores rules and misses deadlines. In reality freelancers have usually been around the agency block already and know their stuff. Nobody starts work as a freelancer.

There used to be advantages in employing large agencies for big jobs. Economies of scale, strength in numbers, experience and access to resources were benefits of the big boys over a lone ranger. Nowadays, this isn’t true. All a freelancer needs is a computer and broadband. Now large files can be moved around quickly, huge jobs – series of billboards, brochures, books, presentations, videos, websites – can sit on secure servers anywhere in the world. The designer has the work on his computer at home so in the unlikely event of data loss there is always a copy. Viruses are virtually unheard of as well – it’s a Mac thing.

If the scale of the job is too much for one freelancer they can simply call on someone else to help. Files can be downloaded from the freelancer’s FTP site and uploaded when finished. Every freelancer has a network of contacts each with their specialities.

So what of using an agency? Well, the design agency or consultancy have their premises to pay for and add to the bill. They also have directors, account managers, senior creatives and junior designers each with their own ideas, spins and interpretations to confuse the message. They also have attitude, and can be full of precious personalities with an “us and them” relationship with the client.

When a client enlists the help of a creative freelancer they are creating a one-to-one relationship with a professional. They now know who to phone or email about the project and will get a quick answer without getting stuck in the corporate maze of finding the right department. Last minute changes to a job before it prints or goes live can be quicker and cheaper with the freelancer.

Also the freelancer has his reputation on the line with the job and it means so much more to him than to the individuals in an agency.

I’m doing a colour 120 page A5 booklet for my client at the moment and they are very happy. When they asked the previous agency to amend things slightly they were met with tuts! Incredible! In my opinion, the client is always right. It has to be that way.
    "

Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

This looks really interesting thanks Vik! You may call me HiDeeHi if you wish!
      When was the Sherwood forest event? That may be something for me to keep in mind for next year.It's good news that the fella you saw sold out, can only be a good thing! I'm doing the game and country fair at Newark next month so I'm hoping to see how my goods go there and maybe I can get some contacts that way. We will see!

I shall have a read of this site you have sent the link for, it looks interesting.
      Thanks again
      Dee x

Comment

This looks really interesting thanks Vik! You may call me HiDeeHi if you wish!
        When was the Sherwood forest event? That may be something for me to keep in mind for next year.It's good news that the fella you saw sold out, can only be a good thing! I'm doing the game and country fair at Newark next month so I'm hoping to see how my goods go there and maybe I can get some contacts that way. We will see!

I shall have a read of this site you have sent the link for, it looks interesting.
        Thanks again
        You're welcome Dee (I did resist lol)

Here is some info for the Robin Hood Festival, it's on every year in August and is on for about a week although it's been on longer in the past.

http://www3.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/e...ood/robinhood/

http://www.robinhood.org.uk/rhp.htm

"Ho-De-Ho"

Vik

I would kill to get the "Robin Hood" font used at the begining of this film

Oakdale Studios Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
        bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Thanks for the info Vik wil definately check this out for next year
          Dee x

Comment

Thanks for the info Vik wil definately check this out for next year
            Yes, I'll probably be there myself
            Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X