Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling Cards: The Devil's in the Details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Cards: The Devil's in the Details?

Hi all,

Just been reading a lot of posts on here that are all very useful so I hope to start hanging around this forum a bit more!

Anyways, I will be selling some cards to a shop for the first time very soon. The price is agreed and I'm almost good to go, but I haven't yet figured out if there are any important details I ought to know such as when do I get paid for the cards (i.e. leave an invoice or get paid there and then?) or if I need to state VAT amounts on delivery notes? Do I need to even send an invoice? Could anyone else who has sold cards to shops please explain their process in detail for me? I don't want to come across too naive!

Many thanks,

Steve

Very interesting Steve, I too would like to know the score on this one as I am trying to represent my crafts to the retail sector. I will watch this post with interest. Hope someone has an answer.

Regards
    Couture Card Creations
    Stirlingshire
    www.couturecardcreations.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Couture-Card-Creations/114271528661516?

Comment

This all depends on what conditions you have agreed to supply them, if sale or return they will need just a stock list and you to keep a copy then an agreed timescale to check back normally a month. If they are buying from you presumably you are offering a discount on the RRP therefore a wholesale price, if this is the case they should have a stock list along with an invoice. Most shops will pay 30 days month end (drop off cards on 7th June expect to be paid 31st July) if they can but if the first time you should ask for cod as a gesture of goodwill, then any subsequent order could have terms applied.

You need to have agreed all the payment process before leaving them stock and have all the agreements in writing with a contract that they sign and keep 1 copy and you the other for future reference.

Comment

You don't need to include anything to do with VAT unless you're VAT registered yourself in which case you would have an annual turnover of around £50,000 - not sure what the actual threshold is now.

If the shop is VAT registered they will have to add 20% VAT to the price they charge for your cards, but once you've agreed a wholesale price with them that's for them to sort out, not for you to worry about.

If you let them have the cards on Sale or Return, technically they only need to charge VAT on the commission they earn, but I'm no accountant so not too sure on this one.

Let us know how you get on.
        Kate
        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Kate, the current threshold is £73,000 I believe.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by prettythingsderby View Post
            Kate, the current threshold is £73,000 I believe.

Steve
            Won't be affecting me for a while yet then!!
            Kate
            www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I will be delivering the cards this Thursday so will post again with how smoothly it does/doesn't go! One last question though: does anyone have a delivery note template they can share with me? I got quite a good deal with the shop but unfortunately not to the tune of 73k!

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X