Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chance to sell your crafts in art/craft gallery and advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance to sell your crafts in art/craft gallery and advice needed.

Well exciting news. Today I have just been to look at a shop in Langport in Somerset. The idea is to start up an art/craft gallery. My plan is to allow cradftspeople to display their work on shelves for a set fee per month with no commission to pay.

The landlord needs an answer as soon as possible but i need to know whether it is a good idea 'renting' out shelves. The shop itself is well lit and on a main thoroughfare. I will also be showing my art and that of other artists as well as offering a limited range of art/craft materials and a framimg service.

I was thinking along the lines of £20 per month for say three good size shelves, does this sound about right (or too cheap)? There will be space for between 15 and 20 crafters to show (hopefully) a variety of work.

At the moment I am just asking whether anyone would be interested and you need not live in the area. If your work can be sent out by Royal Mail or other means then that would be fine too.

As I say, I have waited ofr this shop to become vacant for some time and now have to move fast, BUT I don't want to jump in the deep end and find I can't swim!!

PM or get in touch at creativeartscomp(@)aol.com don't forget to remove the brackets.

Andrew
    Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

PM'd you Andrew.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Ive pm'd you

Comment

Thank you both, I have replied via PM.

Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew, I've always thought renting space sounded like a goer because you'd have a steady income coming in and I've seen it done and the shops keep going......but I've just spotted a post from someone who has to work 7 days a week, no hols etc and isn't making enough to take on additional staff to help out. That sound creaky to me.
          So I'd say double check your figures. Make sure the rental is going to cover all your outgoings.

Charges - I know you are in the sticks but your figures sound low. I've been asked £10 a shelf a week or £40 a cabinet a week. There were no add ons or other catches. Other deals have been rental and a percentage of sales.

Something to think about: from a seller's point of view, just rent springs no surprises and I can pull out if their are no sales. However, I feel that if the shop keeper takes a percentage they'd have more incentive to push the sales of my creations.......

Comment

AnnieAnna - Thanks for the reply.

If it goes ahead it won't just be the crafts, as an artist I will be showing my paintings and those of others, and will also be selling art materials and supplies, which are very much lacking in this area.

You are right about working 7 days a week with no hols. I couldn't do that, indeed if that was what it took then it would a no go idea. I have to have some life!! The income from rental of shelves and exhibition space isn't really designed to cover the rent but merely to help out. The rental for the shop is very reasonable.

I take your point about the cost of rentaing the shelves. The figure that I have put out was a bit of a stab in the dark and I do feel myself that it is on the cheap side, however I am in the countryside and to be honest would rather have all the shelves filled at a lower rent then half with a higher one. It is something to think about though and I thank you for your input.

Andrew

Comment

Someone's dragged this thread up.
              http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...units-villages
              Look at the almost last posts. But I'm sure you wouldn't dream of swearing at the customers.

And this is the working all hours thread I was trying to point you to http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...ng+on+a+sunday

Comment

From seeing the shop advertised on Tuesday, deciding that it was perfect for what I want to do and am pleased to say that I have been able to rent the shop!!

Aiming to open in April, the shop will be a gallery for my art - and other local artists - and a showcase for different hand made craft products, it will also offer a framing service as well as art materials.

So if you hand craft items that you would like the shop to stock then please get in touch, either by email - first post - or PM me. Thanks for all the interest shown so far, I will be sorting out everything over the next week or so, and will send out the information then.

This is something that I have been wanting to do for many years, and now I have the opportunity, so it is all very exciting.

Andrew

Comment

I can now let you know some specific details about the shop that I will be opening here in Somerset.

The shop will be primarily a gallery showcasing handmade products from UK artists and craftspeople. It will show handcrafted items as well as paintings - I am an artist myself - and the aim is to give those people the chance to get their work out in front of the buying public at an affordable price. as well as the gallery I will also be selling a range of art materials and offering a framing service as well as (later in the year) running workshops.

I have designed the display units to maximise the space that I have and each unit will be 600mm wide. Each unit will have four shelves which will be 200mm deep.

Each shelf can be 'rented' for £20 per calendar month or the whole unit (4 shelves) for £64/calendar month saving 20%.
                  If you decide to 'rent' a shelf for more than 1 calendar month this in turn will attract a discount of 15%. Example. If you 'rent' a shelf for 3 months then you will pay £51.
                  A 10% commission charge will also apply to any sales to cover admin and transaction charges. The minimum 'rental' is one calendar month and payment will be required in advance. I will send out cheque's to artists and craftspeople every couple of weeks, it may also be possible to send this payment via Paypal at some time in the future.

My target at the moment is to open on the 2nd April so I would need to have any stock in by Wednesday 30th March at the latest.

Still have plenty of space and opportunity for artists and crafters of all genres. If you want more information, either PM me or get in touch by email at creativeartscomp(@)aol.com just remove the brackets.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X