Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Blog Hits to Website Sales

Hiya

I get over 1000 hits a month on my blog and only 250ish on my website. If anyone can give me any tips as to how I can get people to visit my website via my blog I would really appreciate it. I quite frequently show items on my blog that are for sale on my website and provide the appropriate links, as well as having a permanent link to my website down the right hand side of the blog page, but very few people seem to visit the website from my blog.

I was really hoping that my blog would generate interest and therefore sales for my website, but it's just happening
    Sarah
    For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Hmmm - not sure!! Spookily enough I have just visited your blog - I'm impressed at how organised you are and how proactive you are at getting your stuff out there. I might have to take a leaf out of your book!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thanks Swirly. I do try !!!
      Sarah
      For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

Sorry I couldn't offer any proper advice - i would be very interested in the reply - although I only get a few hits to my blog at the moment.
        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

No worries Swirly. Fingers crossed someone will come up with some amazing tip/piece of advice and we'll be off and running !!
          Sarah

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

What you are doing is right by the sound of it..

1000 visitors a month is pretty low but a great start to build from..

Have a blog and a sales sites is really good as many people will be far more interested in site that don't sell...

I'd suggest adding a clear area of the blog e.g. on the righ hand side to show visitors your items.. If the "adverts" are clear deffined like here (right,top and bottom) then people will come back for the content/info...

A major thing to do is to ask loads of people to blog role you.. (get as many people to link to you)

Hope that helps..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Its only a little bit of advice, but maybe put your favourite websites nearer the top of the blog. I had to scroll down to find your list of favourite websites, and I was looking for it. Also perhaps you could put My Website or My Shop - Picture it in Stitches, instead of just 'Picture it in stitches' and put it above Etsy if its more important to you.

I don't know if this will make a difference. Well done for getting 1000 hits per month, how do you do that?
              Amanda
              xx

Comment

Thanks guys ! Will definitely change the order of stuff down the right hand side to show the website link nearer the top of the page and also include more images of my stuff for sale down the right as well. Maybe using Flickr??

I know that I'm listed on a few other blogs as Google analytics is showing them as referring sites, but maybe I should be a bit more pro-active and ask people to include me on their blog role. Perhaps offer a competition asking people to include me (although I don't know how I would check that) and say they will be included in a free prize draw?
                Sarah

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

Hi Sarah
                  My husband is a web designer so I asked him hope this helps..

Hi

Its easy to get disappointed with sales v hits until you actually understand what a hit really is.
                  Each time someone loads up your blog page it loads up:
                  a. your .asp page (the script to make the page work)
                  b. 40+ images on the page
                  c. 3x css files (these style your website and tell it what colour text should be and where to position text and images and layout)
                  d. 3x .js files (these are JavaScript files that control some of the functionality of your site and elements of navigation)

Each of these things constitutes a hit, so the 40+ images and the other file soon mount up to give you 50 or so hits every time someone loads up your page in their browser.

Your website page on the other hand has a lot less to load up so that's why there is a big difference in the figures.

Forget the hits. Its the unique visitors that you need to pay attention to...

Hope this helps Sarah I had no Idea so though he could explain.
                  Su
                  Suzanne
                  Handmade Jewellery | handmade cards

Comment

have just had a quick look at your blog, and i would say, move everything to do with your shop, that includes your own web site plus etsy, to the top of your sidebar (see wee wonderfuls blog, the shop details are the first icon at the top with a punchy little button to press to get there, big letters and the word 'SHOP"!), so that when you blog loads up, the shop details are what is seen first.

at the moment, i can see your flickr link, an etsy link, but your own blooming felt site is way down, just in the list of favorite websites. i would put your own shop first, then etsy, then flickr etc...

if you plan on selling, the best way to blog is to use it as a marketing tool. have you done any giveaways or something like a freebie with the first sale of the week?, gimmicks like this always pull in the blogging crowd. in marketing terms they call it a 'loss leader', free promotional items to draw customers in.

have a root around other bloggers who also sell from their own site, sewing stars has a lovely site in addition to the blog and etsy, for ideas. hope that helps, : )
                    lucykate crafts... blog

lucykate crafts... on etsy

Comment

I agree, you have to search a little for your website link...... but I did have a good read thanks.
                      Sue
                      www.susiedolls.com
                      www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

Hiya Sarah!

I agree with what others have said about making your website more obvious on your blog. A couple of questions though, as you seem to have good blog - do you link to it from your website? How do you get a blog seen by lots of people? I'm going to be setting one up soon, and just looking for some tips!

Thanks,
                        Sarah
                        Patchwork fabric shop online
                        Quilting tools at great prices!

Comment

Blimey - I'd forgotten all about this post. I posted it way back in August last year, but thank you Su for ressurecting it !!

I'll take all your comments on board about promoting my own website higher up the right hand side. Although, I have to say, that since I posted about this originally, there has been a complete turnaround and I'm now getting far more visitors to my website than my blog (due in no small part to the fact that I've got a new shiny website that is very well promoted !!). I do get a lot of referrals from the blog to my website and vice versa.

Pelenna - I only have a very small link to my blog on my website - in the about me page, but it seems to work !!

I have an awful lot of overseas visitors to the blog - no idea why, but they seem to be the ones who then go on to buy from the website, rather than UK visitors. The UK buyers seem to find me via Google.

I think in order to get a lot of blog visitors, you need to update your blog regularly (probably a couple of times a week) and I've found that the more relevant the content on your blog to your actual website, will obviously encourage people to then visit your website. I tend to heavily promote my website on the blog now, with direct links to new products etc.

I do know of a couple of bloggers who run regular giveaways and because of this have a massive following. Also, if you're encouraging people to come back they'll probably add you to their blog roll and other people will then click on your link when visiting, and hopefully add you to their own blog roll. Also, I've been very lucky in that when people have purchased from my own website, they then write about me on their blogs and put links to my blog and / or website, which is great as people tend to link through that way.

I also promote various books via Amazon on my blog (you get a referral fee if someone then goes on to purchase one of the books via your link), and I know of people who also use Google Adwords to generate a bit of income through their blog - I don't personally like the idea of giving people lots more links to other websites similar to my own and encouraging them to navigate away from my own blog, but each to their own !!

Oh - and don't forget to always include a link to your blog in your signatures too !

Gosh - sorry, I've just realised how long I've been rambling on !!

Anyways - hopefully it has been a bit helpful and not too long and boring
                          Sarah

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

ah ha!, should have checked the date before posting

i did think actually, when you quoted the figure for hits per month, you must be getting more hits than that!, but now i realise it's nearly 6 months out of date!
                            lucykate crafts... blog

lucykate crafts... on etsy

Comment

interesting comments

Some good advice here,

Especially that part about hits and visits being different, hits include each image on the page, so one visit will show as 20 hits if you have 20 images on that page.

Set up google anaylitics its a great way of seeing where you website traffic is coming from, then you can concentrate on changing different aspects every so often to see if it brings you more leads.

They can also track any email campagins you do bounce rate etc, that is when someone just deletes your email without opening or opens it and clicks your link.

Followers help rank your blog and reciprocal links help rank your website on search engines.

I have just sent out a few requests for reciprocal links (got my first acceptance today) so if you are interested let me know.

I will follow your blog too.
                              www.yourspecialdelivery.co.uk

www.handcrafted-gina.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X