Found a little gem of a place to sell my craft work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a little gem of a place to sell my craft work

Hi all i dont know if it will work for all you craft makers but i started selling my jewellery and hand made cards at the Newgate Craft Centre its in York. They only opened a few month ago i think!

I was shocked in the first month all my stock sold! I am busy trying to make enough things in time for Christmas at the Craft Centre they told me Christmas gets really busy.

If you want to know anymore about it just ask

They have a website but i dont think i can put links on here! just do a search for newgate gallery york.

Hi Rachael, I just started there too. Im the one selling the cushions and patchwork. I was a bit worried at first about the initial outlay, but my work has started selling now, very excited its the first time ive sold my work in a City Centre location. I will have a look at your work when i drop into the craft centre next week with some Christmas stock.

Carole

Comment

It sounds great, but I guess you live nearby to get your work there?

I live near The Hub which is meant to be a craft centre in Sleaford Lincolnshire.

I did e-mail them to find out what their criteria was for selling in their shop, but I didn't have a reply. Did you just go in with samples to show them?

http://eiledon.co.uk
      http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,

Just took a look at the website as I would be very interested in displaying my things somewhere like this. But the prices seem to be very high. Would you be able to tell me what kind of return you are getting from there? Is it making any money?

Thanks for your advice
        http://www.finnspirations.com
        http://www.facebook.com/Finnspirations

Comment

The prices are high because of its location i think. It does get a massive amount of people walking past. The majority is tourism which is all year round in York. The gallery is right next to the shambles if you have ever heard of it. Its the most visited street in the Uk so im told. It took a few weeks for sales to get moving but its going well now and Christmas is on its way so i really need to get making Christmas stock. They pump out fake snow in the streets its a really festive town to visit if you have never been.

I think if you are selling the right thing its a really good place to have your work. I would advise anyone to take the plunge and give it a go or you will just be wondering what if? I know i would have been! Ive always been a risk taker though lol

They guy who runs it is very helpful i think he is called Gary?? I hope this was of help to you. Let me know if you decide to book a place.

Carole

Comment

Hi all, i thought it was expensive at first but you got to put it into perspective. If you go do a craft fair you can be paying upto £600 for a 3 day event! You can book 9 months in this carft centre for like £1200 i think or there abouts. and thats erm 270 days trading!!!! you do the math. Its a bargin when you think of it like that.

Comment

Yeah its true rachael. Where else can you go and have someone selling your work for you and sending you a cheque at the end of every month. Good times LOL

Comment

Try getting in touch with them again they got back in touch with me straight away. there very friendly people at the gallery. All i did was email some images of my work and they took it form there.

let me know how you get on

Comment

Thank you. I will email the gallery and see what they say. York sounds so lovely! Fake snow everywhere!! Lovely!
                  http://www.finnspirations.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/Finnspirations

Comment

I love the look of this, but it's too pricey for me at the moment. Also, it says you have to re-stock monday-friday. Is this correct? I work full time all week so wouldnt be able to do this. Thanks and good luck!
                    For an eclectic range of cross stitch kits visit Midnight Curiosity

Comment

Originally posted by rachaelclarke View Post
                      Hi all i dont know if it will work for all you craft makers but i started selling my jewellery and hand made cards at the Newgate Craft Centre its in York. They only opened a few month ago i think!

I was shocked in the first month all my stock sold! I am busy trying to make enough things in time for Christmas at the Craft Centre they told me Christmas gets really busy.

If you want to know anymore about it just ask

They have a website but i dont think i can put links on here! just do a search for newgate gallery york.
                      If all your stock sells in the first month of a place which you think only opened a few months ago then you need to write a book and explain how you did it - you would make a fortune and we would all buy it.
                      Chris xx
                      My Website
                      My Blog

Comment

Hey all, Ive just found out you can share space at the craft centre in York which is ideal for those who cant afford the rental fee for themselves. I think you can have upto 4 artists/crafts people sharing a unit. Just thought i should let you know because i know some of you think the initial outlay is a bit much.

rach
                        crazy crafter

Comment

Originally posted by carolewood View Post
                          They pump out fake snow in the streets its a really festive town to visit if you have never been.

Carole
                          How do you know that if they only opened a few months ago??!! Unless of course you were organising it...then you would know i guess!!
                          www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

Just been reading through this thread, and very! very! impressed. I think this bloke could be in the wrong job though. When all around us are struggling to make a few bob this guy has found the holy grail of retailing. Please tell how. Or ask him if he fancies a job within our government helping to get us out of the mess we are all in.
                            regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Working...
                            X