Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Advertsing??? SEO???

Hi,

I am thinking about paying for advertsing on the net...

Google listings / adwords etc??

Can anyone offer any advice? Of would I be better paying someone to SEO my website??

Hx
    Heidi

Be careful with Google adwords - you can easily lose a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing. You need to know about keywords, bid amounts and all sorts of things, so if you're going to give it a try set yourself a daily limit that you can afford and monitor your results carefully. You can buy books on the subject and I'm sure there are some websites offering advice so do as much research as you can before taking the plunge.

As for SEO, this is really easy to do yourself and is only worth paying for if you can afford it or don't have the time (or interest) to do it yourself.

You need to look at on-page factors such as keywords and title tags and off-page factors such as incoming links. There are plenty of good websites on the internet that can help you with this, but again it's a lot to read up on.

I know a bit about SEO, having dabbled with websites for a while now (I was interested in affiliate marketing but have realised I would rather make and market my own products) - I'd be happy to look at your site for you if you tell me the address (on the forum or pm).

I'm not saying you shouldn't use Google adwords or pay for SEO, you just need to be careful.

Comment

Just seen your webiste address in your sig - I'll take a quick look and pm you about it, if that's okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Plum View Post
        Just seen your webiste address in your sig - I'll take a quick look and pm you about it, if that's okay?
        Any advice / comments would be greatly apprecaited!

I have done my website myself.... I'm quite pleased as Ive not done this before, however, I am aware it might not be as professional as it needs to be,

Heidi
        Heidi

Comment

Have you got the time to learn a bit yourself.

I had a quick look at your site and I'd be happy to points some things out that will help but looking at your prices (I don't know how much profit is in your items) that the cost of a good SEO may not make much of a return for a while. I would be a massive investment.

If you are looking one thing to remeber is NEVER go with anyone who contact you! Find the person/company yourself.

Its worth trying adwords out but you must ad code's that monitor conversion rates (how much it costs to make a sale)

If its going to cost you £10 per sale do you still make money?

This guide is worth reading http://www.seomoz.org/article/beginn...e-optimization

Hope this helps.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

as well as SEO you need to know about on-page optimisation such as keywords in your domain, search results title, description, text on pages, and the relativity of the most important keywords and density of them.

I've just been learning about loads of this stuff at work for the work site, so I've picked up loads of tips for myself!

You can check your keyword density at linkvendor.com

External links seem to be a really good way for improving your SEO. Some are free but it is also worth paying 1 - 10 dollars for certain others. But always remember not to set up more than 2-3 external links per day. Edit all information manually - vary and rotate titles and always change descriptions. Don't keep them the same. I've also been told not to accept any reciprocal links.

Hope this is of some use??

p.s. Thanks for the link Mr M

Comment

I agree with the previous comment about adwords - can be effective but can be expensive too! You need to do your keyword research very rigorously and most find it's not as cheap as Google would have you believe.

I would never pay anyone to do SEO for me. Those that do it for under a few hundred quid are mostly con men - pro SEO companies cost hundreds per month.

You can do a great deal of it yourself, it's not difficult and it'll cost you nothing. The last few posts at my blog have been all about dealing with the search engines, linking strategy and SEO. If you have a look at my sig you can find a fair bit of free info that will certainly give you a good introduction to the subject.

Single best SEO tactic of all? Get a blog. Pro is best (Wordpress on your own hosting) but free (Blogger) is better than none at all.

All the best
              Bob
              My blog: Selling Crafts Online
              Ebook: Complete Craft Book Publishing
              New: Free Craft Article Directory: Great Craft Articles

Comment

I've pm'd you - sorry, it's rather long!

Comment

Originally posted by C Hupfield Ceramics View Post

I wouldn't worry much about keyword density as its no longer much of a factor.

Content should be for the user, google and alike look for what is best for the user.

Originally posted by BobBeacham
                  I would never pay anyone to do SEO for me. Those that do it for under a few hundred quid are mostly con men - pro SEO companies cost hundreds per month.
                  For low value, low turnover its not really suitable.

I've been an seo/webdev for over 10yrs thus I charge for my skills like a lawyer, solicitor, so on.

The key is working out the return on investment. Most companies (that are good) will charge far far more than hundreds per days let alone per month.

If 1 avg sale = £2,000 profit its a different game to a craft shop.

Marketing is all about testing, the more experience you have the more you know what works, the more time you invest the better you get.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                  (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Hi.

having worked with an SEO company where I work, they can do a lot of good, but as someone else said, good ones are expensive. If you have the time and can't find someone knowledgeable to do it for free, I'd suggest you visit the local library and get a book out on it. A good book I've found is 'Search Engine Optimization: An hour a day' ISBN number 978-0-470-22664-3. At £30 (if you can't get it out of the library) it's certainly a cheaper option than paying someone else to do your site and you can probably get it cheaper than that if you look around. SEO is not actually that difficult once you understand the underlying principles.

On the subject of adwords, it's a bit of minefield, you really have to know what you're doing and you also have to spend a lot of time keeping watch on it if it's to reap any rewards. We've spent a lot of money on it at work and I actually proved, at one point, to my management that we weren't actually covering the cost on it and we have a professional agency running our campaign for us.

Not something I'd jump into without a lot of research anyway.
                    David & Catherine

Comment

Am I the only one who does'nt have a clue what SEO's are all about? I'm doing alot of headscratching reading this
                      Karen
                      www.angelicfolk.co.uk
                      Bespoke clothing for your little angels
                      http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

Every trade has it's little acronyms to confuse those not in the know!

SEO= Search engine optimization.

In plain English, making your blog or site as search engine friendly as possible, thus getting a better position in Google (and yahoo, Bing, etc).

Lots of industry types spend every waking hour trying to work out how to satisfy Google's little robots but for most of us mortals it's more a question of keeping focussed.

For example, if everything on your blog is about handmade shoes then Google knows what your site is about. If you start blogging about shoes, the latest film you saw, where you're going on holiday, what your partner got you for your birthday etc., then it might be entertaining for you and your close friends but Google doesn't know what on earth you're at - and won't rank you for anything.

There's a bit more too it than that, which is why I've done a few posts on my blog about it, but in a nutshell it's about appealing to the search engines as best you can.

As has already been pointed out, it can be an expensive business but there's a lot you can do for nothing.
                        My blog: Selling Crafts Online
                        Ebook: Complete Craft Book Publishing
                        New: Free Craft Article Directory: Great Craft Articles

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                          Have you got the time to learn a bit yourself.

I had a quick look at your site and I'd be happy to points some things out that will help but looking at your prices (I don't know how much profit is in your items) that the cost of a good SEO may not make much of a return for a while. I would be a massive investment.

If you are looking one thing to remeber is NEVER go with anyone who contact you! Find the person/company yourself.

Its worth trying adwords out but you must ad code's that monitor conversion rates (how much it costs to make a sale)

If its going to cost you £10 per sale do you still make money?

This guide is worth reading http://www.seomoz.org/article/beginn...e-optimization

Hope this helps.
                          Thanks for that... I will check out the link... any help would be appreciated,
                          hx
                          Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by C Hupfield Ceramics View Post
                            as well as SEO you need to know about on-page optimisation such as keywords in your domain, search results title, description, text on pages, and the relativity of the most important keywords and density of them.

I've just been learning about loads of this stuff at work for the work site, so I've picked up loads of tips for myself!

External links seem to be a really good way for improving your SEO. Some are free but it is also worth paying 1 - 10 dollars for certain others. But always remember not to set up more than 2-3 external links per day. Edit all information manually - vary and rotate titles and always change descriptions. Don't keep them the same. I've also been told not to accept any reciprocal links.

Hope this is of some use??

p.s. Thanks for the link Mr M
                            Thanks for all your advice... I'm working through everything... slowly!

hx
                            Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by BobBeacham View Post
                              I agree with the previous comment about adwords - can be effective but can be expensive too! You need to do your keyword research very rigorously and most find it's not as cheap as Google would have you believe.

You can do a great deal of it yourself, it's not difficult and it'll cost you nothing. The last few posts at my blog have been all about dealing with the search engines, linking strategy and SEO. If you have a look at my sig you can find a fair bit of free info that will certainly give you a good introduction to the subject.

Single best SEO tactic of all? Get a blog. Pro is best (Wordpress on your own hosting) but free (Blogger) is better than none at all.

All the best
                              Bob
                              Thanks for your advice.

Ive got a blog..

http://extraspecialtouch.blogspot.com/

Is this ok? Needs alot more detailed text?
                              Heidi

Comment

Working...
                              X