Commission / business cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission / business cuts

If you anyone sells their crafts through other people shops, busnesses etc, can I ask how much of a cut they take of the sales? How do you make up for this if at all? Do you add it to your usualy asking price and therefore ask that much more for the product? Or do you charge the normal price and make a loss, but value the fact that you have another outlet for selling your crafts?
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Hi,

I sell my jewellery through shops and a mail order catalogue.

With the shop they buy the jewellery at wholesale prices and like to make between x2.3 and x3.0 on each item.

For the catalogue this works on a commission basis and I give them 25% of the sale.

Each product I make generally has a 500% mark up, so f I sell wholesale I never lose any money.

I don’t think you should sell your products at a loss to yourself even if it is getting your name out there. There are other ways to do that.

Hope this helps, Louise
    A fresh and funky collection of handmade jewellery

www.raspberry-bloom.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I sell through 2 outlets at the moment and they take 40% and I keep the 60%. Sounds a lot but I suggest a minimum retail price making sure I get what I am happy with. They ususally sell them for a bit more anyway so I get more than I expect anyway.

My sister sells ceramics through a few shops/galleries and they most of them work on a 40% commission.

Don't sell at a loss. I like the idea of marking up by 500%, I usually work on 250/300% but might just review this now.
      Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
      Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

I think all places differ, but a common figure that I have encounted is 35%/65% (you get the 65%). I definitely wouldn't sell for a loss. It is very hard to pitch a price for your work, but never undersell yourself. All that hard work and effort deserves some recognition. Your stuff is lovely.

Lor xx
        Visit my craft store - http://urbanobjects.co.uk

View my blog - http://www.urbanobjects.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. That is what I wanted to hear really, I just wondered if people would buy my mosaics with the % mark up? I am really unconfident when it comes to pricing, but I think the craft fair will help me in seeing what people are happy to pay. And I suppose people are prepared to pay more for items in a shop?

It's really frustrating when you know how much time and work you have put into making something and people don't appreciate it. I think the whole ebay thing has knocked my confidence a bit, although as someone else pointed out, I did actually get a sale as a spin off of that. Sorry, I am going off at a bit of a tangent now!

So, I will speak to other crafters at the fairs I am doing, see if anyone has a shop or other outlet I think. If not I will look at approaching places locally. Thanks all!
          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

The procedure

Ok, so I am thinking of approaching some shops now, to see if they would be interested in displaying my mosaics. If anyone agrees, what do I do? Do I need some sort of written contract? How will it work?
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Mmmmm - I'd quite like to know too!!
              Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
              My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
              My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Hi-I used to sell to several shops and I've found that a small informal sort of contract is essential...It doesn't have to be chapter and verse. So long as it has-
                The exact stock you've given them to sell...plus and fixture or display materials!
                The price you've agreed ( in my case I told them what I wanted to sell at and they add their mark up on that)
                The terms you agred to sell them under, ie sale or return and conditions regarding return in case of breakage etc
                Information on how you recieve money-ie monthly or when you've sold over a certain amount.
                You then just need to make sure it's countersigned by both parties...oo, and you may want to include a section on who's accepted the goods...I've had an issue with that before.
                Hope that helps
                Phil
                Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
                Dichroic Glass Tutorials
                Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                X