Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have been offered space in a shop

Hello
    I've just been offered some space in a shop for my jewellery. Its a new shop (antiques and furnishings) and they're looking to rent out some space to artists of different crafts (mainly paintings but they want some jewellery too). Its a great opportunity and they are going to do lots of advertising over the coming weeks.
    Only downside is that its £120 a month for the space ( a three-tier open stand which I can place anywhere in their shop and do what I like with).

I'm in two minds and keep thinking of the good / bad sides...

Pros - great opportunity in an upmarket place and they will be doing lots of advertising to get footfall; when my jewellery has been on display before at fairs and parties it has sold well; would be a good way to get a stockist as I only sell at fairs and by commission at present really.

cons - I don't have £120 spare to really try something that isn't tested (i.e. this is a new venture for the shop owner too), and as I'm about to start a new full time job, I worry that I won't have the time or energy to commit to doing it full justice.

What do others think - is £120 reasonable to 'rent' a space for a month?

My other half says I should try it for 2 months and see what happens... (easy for him to say, its not his money he's using!)

thanks for any thoughts
    Sarah x

hi sarah

I know nothing about rental space in shops..............but £120 a month rent seems very steep, I think if it was me i would wait a month till the shop has opened , get a feel if the place and see if others are doing well, before making that sort of committment, as i say i know nothing about renting space so just my opinion on what i would do.....hope it helps, good luck either way x

kazxx
    Last edited by kazzells; 26-07-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

that sounds extremely steep

A local shop to me does a similar thing for £5 a week but I didn't even think that £20 a month was going to be worth it I didn't end up selling much
      Emily

Hand Carved Rubber Stamps by Skull and Cross Buns
      Etsy Folksy Twitter Facebook

Comment

It is quite a lot isn't it? I'd have to sell a fair amount to break even, and pay for my petrol to get there and back to stock it and check up on it (its about a 32mile round trip). That's not even taking account of the cost to make things, packaging etc. so would have to sell lots for it to be worthwhile.

Will have to give it a few weeks and see how it goes for the shop I guess.

Comment

Hi Sarah
          I had the experience of hiring a cabinet in an established Antique centre and it wasn't a success for me. People visiting it were looking for jewellery but obviously vintage stuff. My rent was also half of what you are being asked to pay and that was for a locked cabinet aprox 3 ft wide and 6 ft high. In the time I was renting there cabinets were always coming empty as other sellers realised it wasn't an outlet for new goods.
          I was tied into a 6 month contract which ended up being 7 months as you couldn't put in your notice until after the initial 6 months.
          However, it may be a totally different sceanrio in your locality
          Chris xx
          My Website
          My Blog

Comment

Thanks Chris, its good to know your experience.
            I wouldn't be tied into a contract, just a month by month thing and no notice to get out of it.

Most of the things on sale are furnishings and antique furniture, plus bronze statues and some paintings from local artists, so I'd have the only jewellery there. People would be looking for antiques or furniture rather than jewellery.
            I do worry about it not being in a glass or lockable cabinet, plus there's also the issue of stuff tarnishing if its out in the open (though not sure it would be any different in any other shop??).

I am considering approaching a couple of local boutiques to see if they'd stock some of my pieces....

Comment

why not try negotiating for a closed cabinet at a lesser amount per month, for one month. She still gets your jewellery in there to launch her shop to try and if its a success for you both, then perhaps the terms could be renegotiated. The advantage of having a closed cabinet its that you can then put anti trnish strips etc in there and that should help. £120 a month does seem very steep for one stand though.
              www.pebblesandpearls.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by merry View Post
                why not try negotiating for a closed cabinet at a lesser amount per month, for one month. She still gets your jewellery in there to launch her shop to try and if its a success for you both, then perhaps the terms could be renegotiated. The advantage of having a closed cabinet its that you can then put anti trnish strips etc in there and that should help. £120 a month does seem very steep for one stand though.

The problem is there aren't any closed cabinets there. He's hoping I'll display my stuff on one of the antique stands and I don't actually have a closed cabinet of my own to put in there.

Comment

Hi Silver Butterfly

I have a similar arrangement where as a crafter I rent out a stand in a shop along with other crafters. The crafts range from jewellery, my hand made soap, paintings, decoupage, mini dolls houses etc. For a 3/4 size stand, ie two good sized shelves, I only pay £47/month. The idea is that you work in the shop at least once a month & customers can try and guess what in the shop you made. I think for a full stand, the cost is £67/month.

The area is on the fringe of an affluent area and I've only been doing it since the first of this month. So far I've had at least one sale. I've not checked what's happened this weekend, but will find out in a couple of week's when it's my shift.

I think for starting out, perhaps you could negotiate a lower rent, and review the situation in say 6 months time? Not sure what others think. £120 does sound steep.

Comment

I think you have the right idea about leaving it and then checking out how the shop does once it's been open for a while. You could do some stealth market research, i.e. contact other renters and ask them how trade is going

I think 120 is a lot of money - that's almost 3/4 fairs you could do a year!
                    Design, not rocket science. Illustrator, graphic and web designer, mum of two, wife and self-appointed font police.

Changing the world one crayon at a time.

Comment

£120 seems a bit steep, especially for a new set up. Do you think it might be worth negotiating a smaller rental but give the owner small commission on sales? It may also encourage them to promote your goodies, rather than just sit on shelf unnoticed.
                      Kym
                      I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com
                      kymbigwood.blogspot.com

Comment

£120 per month is horrendous. How much jewellery would you have to make just to pay your 'rent' before starting to make a profit. Think about it - you wouldn't be working for yourself, you'd be working to fund someone else. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
                        Kate
                        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

£120 is ALOT I reckon, the shop i'm in rents a shelf for £4/month and charges 2.5% commision. this seems about average from what ive seen, but i guess it all depends on location/type of business etc, but yeah I defiantely wouldnt pay that much especially if you're not garaunteed to make your money back .
                          http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
                          http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
                          http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
                          email: [email protected]

Comment

It's a lot of money. If you are keen on the idea of your stuff in their shop, I'd go back and tell them you don't think you can afford it. Then wait. The price may come down. Or ask about commission-based sales, instead of an upfront fee.

If you are keen on the idea of your stuff in a shop (not necessarily theirs) then find other shops. It can't be the only one that would be happy to stock your jewellery. And start local: it cuts down your time and petrol money, and it is a selling point that it's made locally.

There is no way I'd pay £120 per month to put my stock in a shop. Once the shop owner has your money, there is no incentive for them to push your jewellery.
                            digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                            blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                            hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                            blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Why can't the shop just come to some commission type of arrangement with you rather than charging you to rent space. I don't like the sound of £120 for the month.

By charging you like this, what is the incentive for them to actively sell your jewellery, after all they will have your rental money regardless?

To be honest you are doing them a favour by stocking their shop without them having to invest in stock.

I would suggest going back and trying to get another arrangement, especially as this is a new venture and untested. I think they are being a little bit cheeky.
                              Allison
                              www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
                              www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

Working...
                              X