Using eBay to advertise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using eBay to advertise

Has anyone opened an Ebay shop just so you can then direct people to your website?

Now that i have a camera charger i can take pics of new stock and generally get my website moving again. I havnt had any sales in ages! Its mainly due to lack of advertising on my part i think plus not updating my stock.

I cant afford to spend too much on it though, which is my problem!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

You need to be a little careful with this - I don't think that ebay allow/tolerate any links to your (or any other) websites. Understandable really, as otherwise everyone would drive their customers to their own website so they wouldn't have to pay sellers fees and ebay would make nothing!

What a lot of people do do is sell through ebay, but then look to point any repeat business to their website by including details of their website, and perhaps money off deals, in with the items when they get sent.

I have looked into using ebay for this purpose, but still can't get the numbers to stack up, not to say it wont work for you, though.

Jeff
    site: www.dotsandspots.biz
    blog: http://dotsandspotsdesign.blogspot.com/
    MISI page: www.dotsandspots.misi.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
      Has anyone opened an Ebay shop just so you can then direct people to your website?

Now that i have a camera charger i can take pics of new stock and generally get my website moving again. I havnt had any sales in ages! Its mainly due to lack of advertising on my part i think plus not updating my stock.

I cant afford to spend too much on it though, which is my problem!
      I use an ebay shop to promote the web site. It depends on how you do it . . you have to be a bit inventive and think a little bit outside the box.

It costs £14.99 a month for the basic shop . . that's a bit of a hit to take . . and it's really only justified because it has increased the number of visitors and sales on the web site by more than it costs to keep the shop going, pay the listing fee's etc.

To make it feasible I list a limited number of items but in quantities of 5 or more, in a limited number of shop categories, using the cheapest possible listing fee (20p) and mark all the prices up to take account of fee's.

The shop header allows you to upload a banner/logo . . which I did using the web site name without the www at the beginning . . this is OK and within Ebay rules.

There are also links to my web site in the shop heading words . . also allowed in the rules!

You can also link to your own web site in the "About Me" page

. . and finally . . I make it really plain in the header page that prices are cheaper on the web site! . . despite that, people do still buy from the ebay shop!

I write most of my Ebay costs off as "advertising" costs.

I signed up omnipage basic which is an ebay shop monitoring programme that is similar to google analystics and use the info from it to "tweek" advertising/prices/marketing/etc. and monitor where people are coming from and what they look for . . Oh and what other products similar to mine are listed on Ebay at the same time as mine are.

Ebay are now also running a programme similar to google ads that works for ebay listings and is based on key words etc. to help promote your shop.

Hope this helps you make your mind up
      Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
      Etsy Shop
      Artfire Shop
      dichro-findings blog

Comment

I thought if you registered on ebay as a business you can advertise your business name (dont know if its a link)on it.Would you have to set up as a shop to have a link to your own site?
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
          I thought if you registered on ebay as a business you can advertise your business name (dont know if its a link)on it.Would you have to set up as a shop to have a link to your own site?
          Well . . so far as I can make out . . and believe me I'm no expert . . you are right on the business name . . and I think correct on having a link . . you can only do this within the rules from an Ebay shop . . if you put links to your own web site in ordinary listings . . even if you have a shop . . Ebay'll get around to removing the listings at some stage . . and . . they don't just make em' inactive so you can go edit them . . they remove em' completely so you have to start from scratch again . . Oh! . . and you don't get your money back if they do this either! It's one of the penalties for not complying with the rules.
          Gloria

Etsy Shop
          Artfire Shop
          dichro-findings blog

Comment

hi gloria

im a new business on ebay selling light fittings and using it to advertise and get new visitors to my website but also want to sell a decent amount on ebay!

would you mind if i asked a few questions?

you said only list the cheapest way but how often do you do that and is that normal listings or buy it nows?

what do you find is the best time period to list an item? is the featured section worth it?

can you automate listings so you dont have to manually do them all the time?

sorry for all the questions!

thanks!

sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

Mmmmm . .

From Gloria: To make it feasible I list a limited number of items but in quantities of 5 or more, in a limited number of shop categories, using the cheapest possible listing fee (20p) and mark all the prices up to take account of fee's.
              From Sam: you said only list the cheapest way but how often do you do that and is that normal listings or buy it nows?
              Actually Sam, I'm referring to my own business here when I say this and not actually advocating that everyone do this . . it's feasible for my business because most of the items are less than £5.00 each . . so it wouldn't actually be worth spending a whole lot more on the listing cost.
              If you're selling something of a much higher value then you may have to consider a more expensive listing by buying into the add-ons in the listing creation form. As I'm selling in a shop all the items are listed as buy it now . . and for shop sellers you can choose to put a listing up there on the basis of "until I cancel" (which is effectively 30 days) or it sells out. You can also set up automated actions for each listing so that when they do expire they are automatically re-listed. So frequency of listing isn't a problem for me . . if you aren't a shop seller, I think the longest period for a buy it now is 10 days after which it'll expire and you'll need to re-list it.

what do you find is the best time period to list an item? is the featured section worth it?
              Not really sure where you are going with question . . I always list my items on buy it now "until I cancel" (effectively 30 days) . . mainly because it's a maintenance issue . . I don't want to have to be faffing about every 10 days re-listing 30 to 50 items (and paying fees more frequently than necessary to do that) . . and because generally the descriptions and other listing information hardly ever change and I only sell a limited number of items compared to the web site.
              Can't answer you on the "featured items" part of the question really . . I don't use it because of the cost of it in relation to value of each of my items.

can you automate listings so you dont have to manually do them all the time?
              Well . . you can automate to some extent . . if you sell certain products which are very similar . . or you are going to be repeatedly selling the same or similar products . . as a shop seller you can save listings as templates for re-use . . and may be able to even if you aren't a shop seller . . but if a listing expires or is sold out then just re-listing an item has the same effect . . and with both options you do get the opportunity thro the create listing form to make minor changes.
              If you list 100's of items you can download an automated software sytem from Ebay for doing this . . I tried it a few years ago in one of it's previous incarnations but couldn't get on with it . . and found it not worth the effort for the number of items I list. It may be different now tho!

Hope that helps
              Gloria

Etsy Shop
              Artfire Shop
              dichro-findings blog

Comment

Links

We recently had a whole batch of listings removed as we had .co.uk in our company logo. Ebay won't allow any link of any description that will direct traffic away from eBay. Also we had listings removed because we had a single link to our website on our About Me page as well.

We had a watermark on our images with the website address. That's not allowed either.

We have now removed any trace of our website on eBay.

After the sale has taken place then you can promote your website as much as you want to that customer.

Hope this helps

Del
                Visit us on the web at www.grinandcraftit.co.uk
                Find us on Facebook & Twitter
                www.3dcrafts.co.uk
                Personal Facebook page (Deryck Obray)

Comment

Originally posted by grinandcraftit View Post
                  Also we had listings removed because we had a single link to our website on our About Me page as well.
                  I thought it was ok to have your website link on your About Me page? At the bottom it gives you the option of adding up to 3 websites?
                  Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Just to add to the advice already given, consider the audience of a site.

Ebay users are looking for a bargin, I called them the something for nothing shoppers.. Many shops don't suit this audience.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I read that if you open up an ebay *business* account they are happy for you to add a link to your own site.
                      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

excelllent info from dichrofindings (cant rep you again today!!)

Not at all sure if it is "within the rules" but I have seen a number of folk using their account name as a hint to web sites with the word "dot" instead of the " . " - as an example sparkysdaddotcom (NB this is NOT a website, just an example!)

Comment

Hi

Currently I put my soap on a auction for 99p which costs nothing to list then just keep relisting if not sold - if they sale then I put in the envelope a leaflet on my website and a hand written note thanking them for purchase and to check out my website. Did have a shop on ebay but it was just too costly for me. I have my website through Mr Site (which I brought on Ebay!) which cost me £20 and is free for the first year - so could be something you could consider.

Regards

Donna
                          The Soap Fairy xx
                          www.thesoapfairy.net

Comment

hi all

i was just wondering, if you list something and dont sell it is the relisting fee free?

is there a best way of listing products? i see that some products have 28 days or so to run but they are on page 1, why are they there as they have a month to run??

i have opened a shop, to get people viewing it must i list products or is there another way that people can look?

sorry for the daft questions, completely new to ebay!

Comment

Links

Originally posted by Katianne View Post
                              I thought it was ok to have your website link on your About Me page? At the bottom it gives you the option of adding up to 3 websites?
                              The listings were first removed because of the logo which we removed. Then further listings were removed after we made changes. I called eBay and the issue was the about me page and the link we had to our site. It's possible that you could link to a site that does not offer items for sale but I'm not sure.

'Circumvention of eBay fees' they called it.
                              Visit us on the web at www.grinandcraftit.co.uk
                              Find us on Facebook & Twitter
                              www.3dcrafts.co.uk
                              Personal Facebook page (Deryck Obray)

Comment

Working...
                              X