Does anyone sell wholesale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone sell wholesale

I have had an e-mail asking me about selling wholesale ohhhhhhhh where do i start HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

and plus how do i know its for real and not another nappy cake maker just trying to see my prices and stuff

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Problem is if we go through life, thinking someone is out to "copy" us, we could miss out on some good business.

I always ask more about their business, what else they sell, where are they, if not too far away I arrange to call and see them.

hth

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi Snow Angel, I'm offering wholesale deals on two things I sell.
      You need to weed out the time wasters so (copying others) I offer a sliding scale like buy one for £2, 10 for £1.75 each, 100 for 50p each, £1000 for 25p each - but work out your prices carefully so you are not loosing money!
      If you are making the stuff yourself be careful because your things might be taking just as long to make as an individual piece. I don't see the point of lowering the price there. I have upset some customers by refusing to deal on some items but if you are the only one making them (especially if you've kept your prices low in the first place) you do have a little bit of power.
      Best of luck
      AnnieAnna

Comment

PS If they are buying wholesale they should/might have a shop or a website. You could check out the website.
        AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by Snow angel View Post
          I have had an e-mail asking me about selling wholesale ohhhhhhhh where do i start HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

and plus how do i know its for real and not another nappy cake maker just trying to see my prices and stuff
          Its an E-mail, respond with- who are you, can you send me some proof of trading, eg photocopy of invoices, business referance ect,
          Do not let anybody take goods without cash up front. If they turn up, a good suit or flashy car means nothing.
          Dont sign any contract
          The list of cons just gets bigger every year.
          If their genuine and they want your goods, they will be straight foward with you,
          Feel flattered that they want your goods, but be carefull

God that sounds negitive, thats what 30+ years of trading does for you
          Last edited by urbtaf; 24-03-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Yes....I have to say that although I have a (wholesale) come on on my website, I am targetting schools (hopefull I can see a building on the ground there!) and friends I've already done business with. I'll be quaking in my shoes if/when shops approach me. So far I've been trading happily with terms of 30 days but did invest in a chip and pin machine to try to encourage people to pay in advance and put a stop to the odd bad debtor and the does my head in chasing up of late payers.
            Chip and pin and Paypal does give security to both seller and buyer over the paying in advance issue and I'm looking on the charges at at least equalling the cost of none payments and the chasing time and hoping it'll knock them on the head and I'll be quids in.

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
              Its an E-mail, respond with- who are you, can you send me some proof of trading, eg photocopy of invoices, business referance ect,
              Do not let anybody take goods without cash up front. If they turn up, a good suit or flashy car means nothing.
              Dont sign any contract
              The list of cons just gets bigger every year.
              If their genuine and they want your goods, they will be straight foward with you,
              Feel flattered that they want your goods, but be carefull
              Completely agree here. Remember they contacted you so the ball is in your court so to speak, they want your stuff so think like a wholesaler. My wholesale suppliers expect me to prove I'm a business and to pay up front for at least the first order, most also have minimum orders. Any legit company will understand this and they will probably expect it too. However some of my friendliest, smaller suppliers are also human and appreciate I'm not hobbycraft so will occasionally ship me things below the min order as I've been with them for years and they know I'll remain loyal to them.

I only buy wholesale so can only give you an idea what it's like from that end but I know plenty of others here do sell wholesale. First things first however, find out more about this company

Could be very exciting though
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                So far I've been trading happily with terms of 30 days but did invest in a chip and pin machine to try to encourage people to pay in advance and put a stop to the odd bad debtor and the does my head in chasing up of late payers.
                Annie, a lot of my suppliers (especially the smaller ones) have started to offer discounts if I pay at the time of ordering rather than on account. In my eyes it's a far better incentive especially in the current climate than charging interest on late payers. It makes me feel like I'm getting more for my money even though in reality they've probably hiked their prices to cover that 10% discount - it could be worth considering if your budget allows
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                  Annie, a lot of my suppliers (especially the smaller ones) have started to offer discounts if I pay at the time of ordering rather than on account. In my eyes it's a far better incentive especially in the current climate than charging interest on late payers. It makes me feel like I'm getting more for my money even though in reality they've probably hiked their prices to cover that 10% discount - it could be worth considering if your budget allows
                  I had a very busy wholesale company with my brother and the problem of bad debtors become worse the more succesful and busy we became. When we sold the business we were owed a lot of money which, fortunately, the new owner took over. Always try incentives to get your money up front. In my expereience 30 days credit means forty to fifty for a lot of people!

Caroline
                  silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                  bespoke handmade jewellery
                  Silver Jewellery blog
                  Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Thanks Natty. I'll take that to heart.
                    My Annie business is with old fashioned cheque carrying quickly become friends customers so I've been very laid back/flexible with payment and it's worked (bar the odd bad egg).
                    My Anna business is aimed at younger strangers so I really must ask for the money first with them. I had noticed 'younguns' expect to buy everything by plastic which is why I splashed out on a chip and pin machine. Fingers crossed. This second business is not as easy to get off the ground as the first.
                    The first one spotted a need and I filled it. The second one is trying to sell things to people who don't know they want the stuff

Keep the advice coming Urbtaf. 3 units in 30 years. You can be my role model! I've done a small tray to 2 x 6 foot tables in 8 years. Uh oh! 30 years? Pop goes the bubble. I'll have probably kicked the bucket by then

AnnieAnna

Comment

"30 days credit means forty to fifty for a lot of people!"

Oh and watch out for nice people in museums ordering stuff but payment is through some central council behemoth.
                      6 months (and a lot of fruitless chasing) before a BACs payment showed on my bank statement! Next was 4 months, next was 3. It's getting better .
                      I have a little black list but have lost sales by being stroppy and asking for the money first.
                      I have noticed museums are being issued with credit cards now....
                      AnnieAnna

Comment

After being contacted lots of times to sell my stuff wholesale I agreed to do a few but found that I had to charge extremely low wholesale prices for the shops to buy and it really wasn't worth my while. I also found that some were buying the stuff at my wholesale prices and then selling on ebay and the likes and undercutting me!! - I hardly do wholesale anymore as its just not worth it for me.
                        Be careful !!
                        by Nicki
                        www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Thank you everyone you have give me lots of things to think about

Comment

Can you work out from which of your email accounts it was sent to, the enquiry might have originated from ie if you have an ebay account, from a website you're a member of etc.

Not sure how they can gain much from your pricing structure or suppliers (if it is another nappy cake maker) just by giving them a wholsesale price.

If it is another competitior, then they must be very lazy cos there's loads of information and numerous tutoriuals on how to make them on the internet.

As everyone else has said, ask them for more information about them before you part with any details.

Comment

If it is another competitior, then they must be very lazy cos there's loads of information and numerous tutoriuals on how to make them on the internet.

For nappy cakes yes there is but there is nothing on showing you how to make my other baby gifts

Not sure how they can gain much from your pricing structure or suppliers (if it is another nappy cake maker) just by giving them a wholsesale price.
                              Its a very good way to get to see what other baby gifts i do and how to copy and price them up a lot of my gifts you wont see about as yet as a lot of them are very new ideas i should of said that i just dont make nappy cakes yes there very easy to do but some of my other stuff isnt so easy
                              Last edited by Snow angel; 24-03-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X