retailer shop profit consignment sale, help pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retailer shop profit consignment sale, help pls

Hi. I am artist and I painting on glass. I would like to sell my product in to shops. Could please anyone give me an information how much retailer will add on price if will buy my goods for cash or how much in % normally is consignment sale? Any other advise you can give are very welcome and appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Retailers will typically want to be able to multiply the cost they buy from you by 2.35 (at least) to give the price that they will then sell the items for.
    site: www.dotsandspots.biz
    blog: http://dotsandspotsdesign.blogspot.com/
    MISI page: www.dotsandspots.misi.me.uk

Comment

Wow ... that is a lot more then I expected. It means pictures for £12.5 will cost at least £30?! How about consignment sale? I heard retailers are taking 30-40% from price of product displayed at the shop? Seems to me now very little compare to 2.35. Which of those two way of selling in shops are more often in Uk? Thank you

Comment

Hello, mostly retailers will take around 50% (+ VAT 15%?) but it depends on the retailer. Some smaller retailers will be negotiable if they are nice and like your stuff, you just need to ask and try negotiating... Don't be surprised if they ask for anything up to 60% though if you're very lucky it might only be 30%...
        Not sure exactly what consignment is but there are sometimes different deals for "sale or return" or if they are paying you outright. It sounds harsh (espcially if you have worked so hard on your craft) but they do have to pay overheads, rent, bills, staffing etc which believe me does add up!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Thanks a lot guys . All started to make a sense to me as I am not english and have experience in another country. By consignment sale I meant commisional sale. Sorry still not good at english. Other things if I can ask is is it better to make appointment by phone at advance then come straight to shop try sell goods? Thank you
          Last edited by lenka; 25-02-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Hi Lenka

If we take your example of a retailer selling an item for £30:

They will have to pay £3.90 in VAT (value added tax) to the government, meaning that they will have made £26.10 from the sale. If they take 50% commission this is £13.05, leaving you with 13.05, or pretty close to the £12.50 in your example. This is how the 2.35 multiplier is arrived at - the retailer takes (about) 50% of the sale in profit after VAT has been accounted for.

Best if you can make an appointment first - if you just visit the shop, the person in there may not be the person who makes the buying decision.

Good luck - finding retailers to stock your products is the hardest part!
            site: www.dotsandspots.biz
            blog: http://dotsandspotsdesign.blogspot.com/
            MISI page: www.dotsandspots.misi.me.uk

Comment

Dont forget import duty if it applies

Comment

Thanks for all your advise and info about retail sell.

To Jeff & Becky ... Really like your website! Good luck in your business too .

Comment

paper work for retailer invoice help pls

Hey, sorry to asking more silly questions. I wonder if someone could tell me what paper work shall I prepare if sell my goods to retailers? I guess basic invoice with product details and details of company will do? Anything else? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X