How to Attract Buyers to your Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Attract Buyers to your Website

Alot of people want to know this answer in relation to online search engines so i have compiled a list of how to do so, and to get your new site on the search engines, ranking as fast as possible.
    1. Website Submission
    There is no point in having a website and hoping the search engines pick it up. Submit your website to as many search engines as possible! Here is how to submit to the major ones:

Google - http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?continue=/addurl
    Yahoo - http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
    MSN - http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
    • Simply go to the Address Links above and follow the instructions to add your website to the search engine.
    2. Site Monitoring and Advancement

If you are going to get your website to the top results on the search engines you need to optimise your site (yes that painful word!) Therefore there are a couple of ways you can do this. For this example i will use the most popular search engine - Google.
    1 - "Webmaster Tools"
    2 - "Google Analytics"
    • Once done go the the "Webmaster Tools" Page. You will see you have the ability to "add a new site" Simply input your website address and that part is done. You will then need to verify that you own the site by following the onscreen instructions.
    • Once verified, alot of people do not do this but you will need to create a sitemap.
    A Sitemap is effectively a search engine friendly directory. Once submitted the Search engine can then access all pages of your website fast (including pages it cannot access when crawling your website the normal way)

Therefore it is well advised to setup an XML Sitemap and submit it to google using this tool you are currently on.

Setup a XML sitemap using the following resource:
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com

You can always search google for free sitemap creators as well! Then submit to your google account and your done!

3. Obviously with Search Engines they need to know what your website is about. Therefore you need to include meta data in your HTML Source.

Here is an example from my website:

<head>
    <title>Sirdar Snuggly | Sirdar Baby Bamboo | Sirdar Snuggly DK</title>
    <meta name="description" content="Sirdar Snuggly - Baby Bamboo Yarn is one of the best baby knitting yarns on the market. Double Knit yarn in variety of colours." />
    <meta name="keywords" content="Sirdar Snuggly,Sirdar Baby Bamboo,sirdar snuggly dk,Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />
    </head>

Look confusing?

To put it simply: A search engine will not display you where you want, unless it knows what you want

Tags

<title>Your website title here including some of your keywords</title>
    <meta name="description" content="A description about your site page here - up to 130 characters in length" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="keywords for your website page" />
    <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" /> - Allows search engines to crawl and record your pages for search engine inclusion

Link Building

Links to your site are important! A quick way of this is to search google for website directories and add your site to them. Also if you use forums or blogs, just include a link to your site in your signiture and it will boost your search engine rankings.

All i have mentioned here are only a small drop in the ocean, but should help in increasing traffic from search engines to your site that is targetted and hopefully will become your customer.

Google Analytics

A Simple program to monitor your website traffic in depth. Simply follow the instructions to install on your website provided by google.

Once setup this will allow you to see:
    • where your visitors came from
    • What search engine they used
    • Their location
    • Popular keywords
    • What they did on your website
    • How long they spent
    • Did they attempt to buy (goal/conversion tracking)
    If you guys want further detail let me know and i will try to write some more up, but as you can see this work is vital and its free!

Usefull Links

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...en-GB&hl=en-GB

Once you have got analytics installed, the above google tool "Website Optimiser" is Free. It allows you to modify your selling pages / landing pages and to see which was has a better conversion/selling rate. Also it will suggest new keywords and changes for you to make to improve your site further
    Last edited by ThE_SeeKeR; 22-01-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: Added Info about Google Analytics

Hi

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain all this - very informative

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I love Analytics, it's quite good to see where people are coming from and what strange search terms are bringing them to my site. Looking at the map can be fun too, as i am learning all sorts of new places and where they are.
      www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Good stuff. Some others worth adding:

1. When submitting to Google/Yahoo/Live, also submit to ODP - the 'Open Directory Project' as this is the driving force behind a lot of smaller directory and search sites.

2. Try to get a few fast-indexed links immediately, to encourage engines to pick up a new site (or new changes). Posts on a major forum which include the link may work (this forum is good, as it gets indexed very swiftly). Blogs, etc are ideal - especially Blogger (and the other main ones).

3. Splash the link around any social networking sites you are on - if nothing else you might be some feedback from people!
        --Matt

Web Development
        Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
          Looking at the map can be fun too, as i am learning all sorts of new places and where they are.
          Analytics is not always accurate - shows me as being in Yorkshire?
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
            Analytics is not always accurate - shows me as being in Yorkshire?
            Correct - it's all based off guesswork, really. It looks at your IP (unique address assigned to your internet connection) and figures out which service provider it belongs to, and therefore roughly whereabouts it is.

Sometimes it produces accurate results - other times it is a bit more.. um.. well.. mental!!
            --Matt

Web Development

Comment

You can say that again :P I belive its the provider server it picks up. Depends if your on a dedicated or shared ip network i guess If dedicated it shows true location, if shared it shows where the main server for that ip is that connects a large number of people to the net

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post this info - I find it all quite fascinating, if a little confusing at times!!

Does anyone know how best to put keywords into my Mr Site website? I have used their 'add keywords' gadget, but I was wondering if I could code some into the HTML of each page without it showing on the site, if that makes sense?

I have a little basic HTML knowledge so could put the coding into the pages, if someone can tell me how to 'hide' it from view.

Claire
                Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Can I just add that having a memorable name with products identity for your website is also useful when people are trying to look for your in a search engine.
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                    Thanks for taking the time to post this info - I find it all quite fascinating, if a little confusing at times!!

Does anyone know how best to put keywords into my Mr Site website? I have used their 'add keywords' gadget, but I was wondering if I could code some into the HTML of each page without it showing on the site, if that makes sense?

I have a little basic HTML knowledge so could put the coding into the pages, if someone can tell me how to 'hide' it from view.

Claire
                    If you mean "how can I hide keywords in my page, so Google sees them and people don't" - then you really don't want to. It could cause you grief - it's a distinctly dirty trick.

The best thing to do to increase the keyword repetition on a page is to rewrite the content so it features the keywords more often, and removes 'needless' words, without sacrificing human readibility.

Paste in a chunk of text from the page you want to tweak and we can all have a go - it's a fun experiment!
                    --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Good point. Yes when you have a product it will be in whats called a "Title Tag" Automatically.

Make this title relevent.

For Example:

Keywords: Silver Earrings,Earrings,Glass Pendent Earring

Dont Call it:

Earring

Call it:

Silver Earrings with Glass Pendent

As you can see i have incorporated all 3 keywords which gives a search engine the idea that its important and ranks higher for those keywords

Comment

Thanks seeker really useful
                        for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply Matt - you've pretty much summed up what I was asking, didn't realise it wasn't the done thing, so I'd best not do it.

I take it a serch on google will look at page content & text then? I think my understanding of keywords etc is a bit cloudy, I had always thought they had to be special 'metatags' and that normal text didn't count.

For example, on my welcome page (which I want to re-word a bit anyway) I have the following text;

Here at Lady Luck Jewellery you will find a range of handcrafted designer jewellery to suit almost any mood or style. From chunky beaded charm bracelets and elegant necklaces to edgy colourful pendants, each item of jewellery is as unique as you are.
                          Have a browse through the site and discover 1950's inspired rockabilly and pin up girl styles, a modern twist on pretty pastels and bold bright colours to make you stand out from the crowd.
                          If you would like to commission a piece of jewellery especially for you please contact me for more details

Will google pick up keywords from this text then? If so, I'll have to have a think about what I have written in most of my site, as I didn't think 'keywords' when I wrote it

Claire
                          Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                          Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                          www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Some stuff about keywords....

Add Well Chosen Text Relevant To Your Chosen Keywords In The Right Part Of Your Page

Search Engines prefer sites with actual text content. They browse your site searching for information in text format, such as text in <p></p> tags, text in headers and in the title of your page. They cannot read text in images and flash files so if you want a high search engine ranking you must include text in your page.
                            1. Keywords are the words visitors enter into a search engine to arrive at your site. They are specific words related to the content of your website so for example if your site is advertising bouncy castles your keywords might be “bouncy” & “castle”. There are many strategies to choosing keywords and a quick search of the net should provide a raft of advice on this subject. It’s worth considering your choices carefully as you may not wish to compete for a high listing against every single bouncy castle site on the internet but target a more specific market e.g. “bouncy”, “castle”, “hire”, “parties" & “Outer-Mongolia”.
                              Once you have chosen your keywords you must include them on your website pages.
                              Keywords should appear:
                              • IN THE DOMAIN NAME e.g. MYKEYWORDS.co.uk
                              • IN THE TITLE (that appears in the bar at the top of the window)
                                e.g. [ MYKEYWORDS - Microsoft Internet Explorer ] would be better off being [ MYKEYWORDS Leading Suppliers of MYKEYWORDS in the UK - Microsoft Internet Explorer ] or similar
                                example code:
                                <title>MYKEYWORDS Leading Suppliers of MYKEYWORDS in the UK</title>
                                Try to avoid putting the same meta tag description at the top of all the pages of your site. Both the meta description and the meta keywords should be related to the content on that specific page.
                              • IN THE META TAGS
                                Your keywords should be listed in the meta tags in the head section of your pages.
                                example code:
                                <meta name="keywords" content="MYKEYWORD1, MYKEYWORD2, MYKEYWORD3" />
                                <meta name="description" content="Description of MYKEYWORDS Leading Suppliers of MYKEYWORDS in the UK" />
                              • IN A HEADING HIGH UP ON THE PAGE
                                e.g. inside a heading tag at the top of the page
                                example code:
                                <h1>MYKEYWORDS</h1>
                              • IN TEXT!
                                One of the MAJOR problems for search engines looking for information in many attractive sites is that a lot of text appears in images and flash files. Search engines MAY rate text in the "alt" or "title" fields of an image tag but they won't consider it as important as actual text. It’s worth putting large amounts of text in <p></p> tags as this makes it clear to the search engine that this is a block of information.
                              • FREQUENTLY THROUGHOUT THE PAGE - (but not ridiculously frequently)
                                It's important to remember that websites are for people to read not just search engines. (easy to forget when you are concentrating on keyword strategies!)
                                I've seen keyword densities in text suggested at anywhere from 5% to 25% but it's important to include them frequently on your page whilst not overdoing it as this will look bad to search engines.
                                When adding text to your pages it's also worth remembering that:
                                Text higher up on the page ranks more importantly than text at the bottom.
                                Text in <bold>, <strong> and <em> tags ranks higher than ordinary text
                                example code:
                                Check out our new product <strong>PRODUCTNAME</strong>
                                Please note that keywords which appear as very tiny text, in the same colour as the page background or in hidden layers will get you banned from google.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                              Thanks for the reply Matt - you've pretty much summed up what I was asking, didn't realise it wasn't the done thing, so I'd best not do it.

I take it a serch on google will look at page content & text then? I think my understanding of keywords etc is a bit cloudy, I had always thought they had to be special 'metatags' and that normal text didn't count.

For example, on my welcome page (which I want to re-word a bit anyway) I have the following text;

Here at Lady Luck Jewellery you will find a range of handcrafted designer jewellery to suit almost any mood or style. From chunky beaded charm bracelets and elegant necklaces to edgy colourful pendants, each item of jewellery is as unique as you are.
                              Have a browse through the site and discover 1950's inspired rockabilly and pin up girl styles, a modern twist on pretty pastels and bold bright colours to make you stand out from the crowd.
                              If you would like to commission a piece of jewellery especially for you please contact me for more details

Will google pick up keywords from this text then? If so, I'll have to have a think about what I have written in most of my site, as I didn't think 'keywords' when I wrote it

Claire
                              I'm running a bit behind, and am somewhat fried. Been to a two hour seminar on marketing during times of economic instability or decline. Thrilling. Need drink.

I would probably start from something like this:

At Lady Luck Jewellery you'll find a range of handcrafted designer jewellery to suit any mood or style.

Chunky beaded charm bracelets, elegant necklaces, edge colourful pendants - each piece of jewellery is as unique as you.

Discover 1950s inspired rockabilly, pin-up girl styles, a modern twist on pretty pastels or bold, bright colours which stand out from the crowd.

To Commission your own personalised piece of jewellery, contact me for more details.

(Spacing and structure not important) - it retains the keywords nicely, is not over-tweaked, and is stilll human friendly - yet a number of "pointless" or so called "stop" words (those that have no search value, and only dilute the relevant text) are removed. Note that it's possible to go too far with this technique, and this is only one step in the process!

You would probably want to add a bit more, link words appropriately, and so forth - ultimately it is about building a textual "picture" and "web" which are meaningful to both people and search engines!

The above should give you the gist in terms of phrasing text, though!
                              --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Working...
                              X