Website Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Requirements

Right, heres a a few helpful tips for everyone who needs to know, so get your reading glasses on ( if you wear them ) get a cup of tea ( vodka in Aunties case ) and sit bad and digest all this information i type before you there will be more information to follow about other various subjects.

Selling Online;

Distance Selling Regulations, require you ( the seller ), by law, to give clear and comprehensible 'prior information' to your costomers to help them decide whether to buy.

DSR states that the following MUST be set out;

• Your Business Name and address ( when advance payment is required. eg, paypal, bank transfer ) and other contact details including Email address
    • A Description of the goods or service,
    • Prices including ALL Taxes,
    • Delivery Costs,
    • Payment arrangements,
    • Arrangements and date for delivery of goods or performance of service- if no date is specified this is then set to within 30 days of the order,
    • The Customers right to cancel and details of who bears the costs of returning the goods.

A Few other helpful tips;

You must allow a cooling-off period, during which the customer has an unconditional right to cancel. This is usually 7 days after the day the goods are recieved.

Customers MUST inform you in writing - letter, fax or email - of their decision to cancel.

Customers' money should be reimbursed as soon as possible - and within a maximum period of 30 days.

Returns can NOT be made to items that are made to the customers specifications.

When selling online you MUST also;

acknowledge reciept of orders electronically and without any undue delay

Make sure you read all about DSR ..

If something is custom made then it doesn't apply...

DSR is only for off the shelf items like a tv etc..

BUT you MUST inform the customer via email and T&C's

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Thanks snowgoose and Mr 0103 Media, very informative & useful
      for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

DSR also applies to ANY items that are sold as long as they arent made to customer specifications.

If earrings are made and for sale on a site and are bought DSR applies as these items were not specifically made for the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
          If earrings are made and for sale on a site and are bought DSR applies as these items were not specifically made for the customer.
          BUT if you had earrings with red stones for sale on your website and a customer asked for them with blue stones then the DSR wouldn't apply as they would be custom made.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post

Yep as I said stock items come under DSR.

Thus if you intend to sell stocked items then your must publish on your site the customer rights.

If you intent to make items for a customer that are not in stock then DSR doesn't count e.g. commisions..

Note images on the web can be for illustration purpose only for many reason including the DSR
            Last edited by 0103media; 20-01-2009, 05:37 PM.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I wonder if you could not get around this by offering a ear wire choice as then the customer would be specifying?
              my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                BUT if you had earrings with red stones for sale on your website and a customer asked for them with blue stones then the DSR wouldn't apply as they would be custom made.
                I am not denying this, anything that the customers askes to be changed, then the items becomes custom made.

Originally posted by debsjeans
                I wonder if you could not get around this by offering a ear wire choice as then the customer would be specifying?
                Yes, this would be totally legal, as the item would then be custom.

Comment

Great tips!

I actually send a confirmation email, stating exactly what the customer has ordered, and all the personalisation details. It means if there was ever a dspute I can supply the email and show that the customer ordered each item and what they wanted on it. I also send copies of their inserts as well, it just minimises mistakes.

If it's a high value item, like the dress boxes, I take photos before I stick anything down, just to make sure the customer is completely happy with what they have ordered!
                  My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
                  http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by debsjeans View Post
                    The DSR is a strange thing meaning that if you have 20 items on your website each with different combinations of ear wires and/or stone colours you would have to abide by the 7 day cooling off/returns reg but if you did as you're saying Debs then it becomes custom made and non-returnable. I know which option I'd choose - far less work adding stuff to the website too

Comment

I thought that there was also an exception for items that cannot be returned due to hygeine reasons into which category earrings often fall?

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Originally posted by elzi View Post
                        I thought that there was also an exception for items that cannot be returned due to hygeine reasons into which category earrings often fall?
                        There is something stated, ill look it up and come back to you on that one

Comment

this is a quote from out-law.com

It acknowledges that hygiene concerns may prevent the reselling of such goods; but that, it seems, is the seller's tough luck. The Distance Selling Regulations "do not link cancellation rights with a supplier's ability to resell items as new," according to the guidance.
                          my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

Originally posted by debsjeans View Post
                            this is a quote from out-law.com

It acknowledges that hygiene concerns may prevent the reselling of such goods; but that, it seems, is the seller's tough luck. The Distance Selling Regulations "do not link cancellation rights with a supplier's ability to resell items as new," according to the guidance.
                            Hmmm interesting, if that's the case then I think all you jewellery makers need to be offering 'choices' on your earrings so they all become customised under the DSR rules.

Comment

Also the right to cancel does not apply to the following, unless you agree otherwise:
                              • personalised goods or goods made to a consumer's specification
                              • goods that cannot, by their nature, be returned
                              • perishable goods (eg flowers, fresh food)
                              • un-sealed audio or video recordings or computer software
                              • newspapers, periodicals or magazines
                              • betting, gaming or lottery services
                              • services that begin, by agreement, before the end of the cancellation period providing the supplier has informed the consumer before the conclusion of the contract, in writing or another durable medium, that he will not be able to cancel once performance of the services has begun with his agreement
                              • goods or services, the price of which is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market.
                              I guess, due to the nature of earrings being due to hygiene, then they cannot be returned. So i would say NO, earrings cant be returned, but i shall try and get confirmation of this tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X