Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public liability insurance requirements

Hi,

I've been doing a local market to date that covers you so have never needed insurance, but am looking into a lot of bigger events this year, that will need it. Everyone I know from the market uses National Market Traders Federation and highly recommend them (tho you do have to call them as their site is rubbish!) However, this wont cover me for events in my home or others homes, ie the jewellery parties I'm thinking about doing. Do I need to be covered for these? Can anyone recommend insurance that would suit me? Want to get it sorted out pretty quick as I have applciations forms I need to send off to secure my place at loads of events! :s

Thanks!
    El
    Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
    http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

Hi
    NMTF are in the process of updating their site.
    Are you sure about them not covering for home parties?
    I have not found this to be the case when talking to other crafters.

HTH
    Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thats really weird, called and specifically asked them if they'll cover for events like that and they said only markets, craft fairs and festivals! Maybe I'll try asking them again! :s

Comment

Check out ian Wallace at
        http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/
        Chris xx
        My Website
        My Blog

Comment

I have never had public liability insurance (I dont do that many craft fairs per year) but this year I am thinking of doing more and also organinsing more, so perhaps I should think about having it.

Are there any recommendations for companies I can approach.
          Can anyone tell how it works, do you pay a yearly amount regardless of how many events you do?

What exactly will it be insuring me against?

Sorry I know I'm a bit thick on this subject
          Diane
          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

here is the link to national market traders:
            http://www.nmtf.co.uk

i think its about £70 a year which includes insurance and various other benefits (works for all craft fairs you do in that year)

if you have been doing craft fairs without insurance you have been quite lucky so far. most fairs i do state that you should have insurance and often they require a photocopy of the insurance (currently my ntmf card) before giving me a stall.

as to what you need it for - well with any luck you don't - but i'm a bit of a worrier so i prefer to be safer than sorry.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

See thats the thing, I only do about 4 fairs a year so that would add another £20 to each venue. I would therefore be sitting at these fairs for nothing!
              Diane

Comment

yeah i see your point. and the price keeps going up and up and up. i'm sure it was under £50 when i first got it a few years ago! i do quite a few fairs so its probably still worth it (and often i wouldn't be able to go without it)

that said, my entire stand blew over in the wind at one fair last year. (it was all clamped together tight against the wind but basically the whole thing went over) luckily it blew backwards and landed on me!! but i hate to think what would've happened if the wind had gone the other way and it had landed on some passers-by. its cases like that that get me thinking (i hope my insurance covers that...! eek!)

Comment

So far I've only done a stall at my local market and they have always said stallholders are covered by their insurance, but apparently are going to be funny about it this year.

Elzi, Generally speaking as I understand it the organisers insurance covers if their gazebo or whatever blows over and hits someone, but even if it doesnt yours should, thats what its there for.

Comment

oh good! i hope so as its pretty windy round here...
                    i knew i was paying that £70 for a reason....

Comment

Thanks Elzi, all my fairs are inside so I shouldnt have a problem with wind. My stall isnt that high either so shouldnt fall over. If the table collapses though and my goods hurt someone Im sure Im covered by the hall's insurance (as it's their table)

I do one outside one inside my own gazebo, but £70 insurance for that one seems a lot of money on ifs and maybes

Might shop around out of curiosity though, If I find anything out I will of course post on the forum.
                      Diane

Comment

I've called Ian wallace (thanks Kiamyka) and they've quoted me slightly less than NMTF and will cover me for all sorts of things inc jewellery parties etc, as long as I tell them I'll be doing that. The only negative is that they dont cover for as much, eg NMTF is for £5m public and product cover and £10m employee cover, whereas Ian Wallace is £1m public and product... Bearing in mind I'm not going to be doing massive giant events with bells on, does anyone know whether the difference in cover will really matter? Am more tempted to go with Ian Wallace atm, but I need to sort it out pretty pronto! :s

Thanks!

Comment

I'm afraid I am one of life's 'better to be safe than sorry' sort of people so I am insured to the hilt!!!. I've got liability up to £5m and cover for working from home and selling online, cover for storing all my stuff in the workshop and at shows in case it gets stolen as well as market traders insurance. My liability costs about £60pa. which is well worth the piece of mind.
                          by Nicki
                          www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

oooh, where did you get that deal bynicki?

Comment

i get mine though Natwest, along with my business banking and it covers just about everything.
                              Helen Victoria
                              classic and contempory, bespoke jewellery for any occasion
                              Phoenix Trader
                              http://www.helen-victoria.co.uk
                              [email protected]
                              www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Helen-Victoria-Jewellery/152577689219?ref=mf.

Comment

Working...
                              X