An idea to promote your art/crafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea to promote your art/crafts

Not so much to do with selling, but promoting your work.

Last year I pitched an idea to our local library, and later this week I have got a meeting with someone who is in charge of art promotion at all the libraries in Somerset, although it could be done throughout the country.
    I would like to take some feedback and opinions of other crafters so please let me know what you think. The good and the bad!

Basically the idea if to produce a booklet (every two months) that will advertise/showcase artists and craftspeople and the work that they produce. Each person will have a whole page detailing their work, website contact details etc.(A5 size, although you could buy two pages) and the booklet will then be displayed on a purpose built display stand at libraries. If it gets going the idea is to also display the booklets at other high footfall venues.

The display will also include a small lcd screen which will display which will be used to display images from artists/craftspeople if they so wish.

The idea being that people will be able to take a booklet (free) and then be able to browse and contact artists/craftspeople at their leisure.

So to recap, you as a craftsperson will be able to buy a page(s) within the booklet, have your picture, images of your work, details of events you are attending, website details etc. these pages will make up the booklet which will then be displayed within a venue. Also on the display will be a small lcd screen that can scroll through images of work if you wish. Each 'film' will be about 30-40 seconds long, although this will cost extra. I would hope to have around 25-30 artists/craftspeople in the booklet, and obviously would not want to have too many of one genre.

The person that I am going to see seems pretty keen to do something along these lines, but it may all yet come to nothing, but I thought that if I could take some of your comments along it may help.

Your views are very much welcomed.

Andrew
    Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

We have similar but once a year for the Hampshire Open Studio events, normally runs from late August to early September. The booklet is only available for the event and I agree to have something more regular would be good, the only problem would be cost and if the adverts would be worth the cost, sometimes people just pick up leaflets for the sake of it, particularly if free, then discard.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Comment

Caroline, I agree with you regarding costs. Here in Somerset we have the Somerset Arts week, with open studios, but really I would like to aim at the less established crafter - I don't like to use the term 'hobby artist/crafter' but the person who perhaps does it in addition to another job. For example in the village there is a lady that makes lovely hand made cards, but she would never think about opening up her workplace, the kitchen table! However she does a few local craft fairs, has got a small wensite, or sells through another site. She would just like that little bit of extra advertising to get her name out there.

I would also like some of the cost to be met by art and craft shops taking out adverts, thus reducing the cost to the artist/crafter. I know what you mean about people taking leaflets etc. just for the sake of it, I once had a small exhibition and had several hundred leaflets printed with details of how I could be contacted, the fact that I would do commissions etc. but despite nearly all of them being taken there was virtually no response. However having said that, one person did get in touch which led to a very rewarding commission, so I suppose it was worth it.

Andrew

Comment

Well I have had my meeting re. the idea of promting arts and crafts through a display board in local libraries.

In general the idea was well received with a few points being raised, chief of these was whether the whole concept would last or would just be a 'here today, gone tomorrow' type of thing. Another point was the cost, whether artists and crafters would be prepared to pay month on month for the service. A number of different ideas - all centred around the original - did come up as a result of the meeting and some of these could be prelude to the main event as it were. That is, dipping a toe into the water without too much cost being involved, so some of these will be followed up in due course.

So to sum up, it wasn't a complete waste of time, and I will still be working on ways to promote myself and other artists and crafters.

Andrew

Comment

Good on you! I hope your venture is a big success.
          Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

Well done you for trying. Its a shame money comes into everything. A public library could have offered the service as a benefit to the community and to advance crafting or cottage industry. Perhaps I am shooting the moon.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
            X