Does anyone rank well on Google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone rank well on Google?

Just wondering if anyone ranks well on Google for any craft related terms?
    If not where do you get your site's traffic from?

Thanks in adv..
    James.
    Doing nothing is harder than it looks!
    Free Classifieds

Originally posted by GEM View Post
    Just wondering if anyone ranks well on Google for any craft related terms?
    If not where do you get your site's traffic from?

Thanks in adv..
    James.
    It's hard. Even our corporate site currently only has what I would call 'really good' rankings for location specific queries (e.g. "ecommerce jersey" - page 1, position 4) - then again there are some seriously big guys competing in our space!

More relevant is probably Jersey Craft Shop - our guinea pig site, which is also craft related.

Right now they are in a similar position, whereby they rank excellently for any related search involving "jersey" as a keyword (location specific), but the site does not rank very well for global searches.

Often this situation tends to indicate that so called "on-site SEO" is OK, but off-site (link building) needs some attention - definitely the case with JCS + our site, as we are only just beginning to do link building for them now!

That said, about half the traffic on JCS comes from pay-per-click advertising (mostly on the content network, and targetted at craft relevant sites, forums, etc). Some trickles in via referrals from other sites, e.g. forums, where Mark has a link in his signature.

If you're looking to build up your site - the first thing you should probably do is check out Google Analytics and see if you can get it installed. After a couple of weeks, it will be able to give you all these sorts of stats (in a nice clear, concise way which is good for newcomers + experts!) - and then you can figure out which area you need to work on!
    --Matt

Web Development
    Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Not sure how rankings work but if I search on "wooden bowl" I am top and on "spoon carving course" I am up there too. I think a large amount of my business is returning customers who use the website as an easy method of finding what I am up to and contacting me.
      http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by robin wood View Post
        Not sure how rankings work but if I search on "wooden bowl" I am top and on "spoon carving course" I am up there too. I think a large amount of my business is returning customers who use the website as an easy method of finding what I am up to and contacting me.
        Good rankings for those keywords.

Admittedly they are "lower volume" than many (e.g. google lists approx 200,000 results for 'spoon carving course') - basically you rank well because the text searched for is found verbatim in the page and the title as well.

I suspect your domain name also helps on "wooden bowl", as both contain the fragment "wood"!
        --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Originally posted by matt.chatterley View Post
          Good rankings for those keywords.

basically you rank well because the text searched for is found verbatim in the page and the title as well.

That is no coincidence. When I want to put a new product on the web I think "if I was looking for that what search terms could I use" I would rather have a few hundred folk visit the site that had searched for "wooden bowl" or "spoon carving" than thousands who had searched on something that was less me, say "crafts gifts" or "wooden items" and no doubt it would be harder to top those rankings anyway.
          http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Comment

We used to have a page rank of 5 for Cuteable but then google moved us down the rankings to 3 because we use Text Link Ads on there. We also use ad words (which is a google thing) but they obviously don't like the competition and to be honest TLA brings us in much more than ad words do
            Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
            My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
            My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by robin wood View Post
              That is no coincidence. When I want to put a new product on the web I think "if I was looking for that what search terms could I use" I would rather have a few hundred folk visit the site that had searched for "wooden bowl" or "spoon carving" than thousands who had searched on something that was less me, say "crafts gifts" or "wooden items" and no doubt it would be harder to top those rankings anyway.
              True on all counts. While searches for more generic terms may bring in some valuable traffic, the odds of a solid conversion from a specific search are very high - so it's well worth pursuing these "niche" keywords.
              --Matt

Web Development

Comment

My new website is almost non-existent on Google, there's zillions before me, BUT thanks to this forum I got a client, she searched for Christmas earrings and my post on here about some I'd just made came up on the first page. She clicked on the link, read my post, liked the pics and used the link in my sig to get my website.

Even more amazingly, I only opened my website on Friday night, put the link in my sig on here on Saturday morning and she did the search Sat afternoon! How's that for a bit of luck
                "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
                Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
                Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn Faerie View Post
                  My new website is almost non-existent on Google, there's zillions before me, BUT thanks to this forum I got a client, she searched for Christmas earrings and my post on here about some I'd just made came up on the first page. She clicked on the link, read my post, liked the pics and used the link in my sig to get my website.

Even more amazingly, I only opened my website on Friday night, put the link in my sig on here on Saturday morning and she did the search Sat afternoon! How's that for a bit of luck
                  Yay! Thats pretty good. Can I make two suggestions about your site?

1. See if you can edit the HTML (is it MrSite?) so that each page has at least an 'H1' and an 'H2' tag.

2. Write more about your 'SOS' - what a great idea - you should really make a big selling point out of that - write more about it, for a start!
                  --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Yay! Thats pretty good. Can I make two suggestions about your site?

1. See if you can edit the HTML (is it MrSite?) so that each page has at least an 'H1' and an 'H2' tag.

2. Write more about your 'SOS' - what a great idea - you should really make a big selling point out of that - write more about it, for a start!
                    Thanks Matt, yes it is MrSite, but scuse my ignorance, what is a H1 & H2 tag?

I was thinking I ought to put more about my SOS on my home page, glad you think it's a good idea.
                    "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks Matt, yes it is MrSite, but scuse my ignorance, what is a H1 & H2 tag?

I was thinking I ought to put more about my SOS on my home page, glad you think it's a good idea.
                      This W3C article (a bit technical) gives the lowdown. Essentially the 'h' stands for heading, and there are 6 levels (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6).

H1 is the 'main heading tag' for a page. Normally we use this to contain the site logo or name of the site, or main tagline, e.g. <h1>Cards, Jewellery and Gifts - Jan's Cards</h1> - then you would use H2 to give a title for the page e.g. <h2>Select, Order, Send - Your cards delivered for you!</h2>.

Rules of thumb - one H1 per page, same for all pages on the site, one H2 per page, then one H3 per section - so as you go down the 'tree' you can have more of each type. No need to use all 6, unless you have that many different types of content to demark! If you can wrap the left hand links in H4, that may also be a good one to do.

Basically the search engines give a little bit more weight to text found in H tags. If you can also make these hyperlinks to pages in your site, even better. I hope that helps - if not feel free to quiz me more!

SOS is a great idea - from the SEO point of view, you may need to describe it as something different - or at least get words people will be looking for in there, but definitely. Add a short paragraph to the home page, linking to the SOS page, and get some more text in there to describe the service and how wonderful it is!

While it's not a USP per se, it's a great benefit and a good reason for people to use you rather than someone else (apart from the fact that your cards are fab - I love the one with the ducks).
                      --Matt

Web Development

Comment

I get #1 for my main keywords (one of my urls as well so helps) I was aiming for 1st page, when I built the site a few mths back it was only really aimed at the search engines and not expected to sell(2009 was my planned start for my little business) The aim was to have the domain and seo rankings submitted then work on the way I want to site to look after the search engines had sent their spiders out.
                        argh circumstance and either them being quicker than I expected or me being slower (probaly slower) and so much happening here means I didnt complete a designed site and still have the place holding site there. I'm not that fab at front ends of sites but used to work with a search engine company.
                        None of my products are tagged and I only have the front searched so redoing it is easier if only i could find where I left my techie brain cell...

The more you post in places like this forum or other sites and include your web address the better ranking you will get. Darn it must put the main address in my signature then lol... if this does not make sense its because the coffee hasnt kicked in yet....

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
                        www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
                        fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

This W3C article (a bit technical) gives the lowdown. Essentially the 'h' stands for heading, and there are 6 levels (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6).

H1 is the 'main heading tag' for a page. Normally we use this to contain the site logo or name of the site, or main tagline, e.g. <h1>Cards, Jewellery and Gifts - Jan's Cards</h1> - then you would use H2 to give a title for the page e.g. <h2>Select, Order, Send - Your cards delivered for you!</h2>.

Rules of thumb - one H1 per page, same for all pages on the site, one H2 per page, then one H3 per section - so as you go down the 'tree' you can have more of each type. No need to use all 6, unless you have that many different types of content to demark! If you can wrap the left hand links in H4, that may also be a good one to do.

Basically the search engines give a little bit more weight to text found in H tags. If you can also make these hyperlinks to pages in your site, even better. I hope that helps - if not feel free to quiz me more!

SOS is a great idea - from the SEO point of view, you may need to describe it as something different - or at least get words people will be looking for in there, but definitely. Add a short paragraph to the home page, linking to the SOS page, and get some more text in there to describe the service and how wonderful it is!

While it's not a USP per se, it's a great benefit and a good reason for people to use you rather than someone else (apart from the fact that your cards are fab - I love the one with the ducks).
                          Thanks Matt, it's good to have access to so much knowledge on this forum as well as all the crafting advice.

Will have a re-think on my tags to include the SOS bit.

Comment

Thanks Matt, it's good to have access to so much knowledge on this forum as well as all the crafting advice.

Will have a re-think on my tags to include the SOS bit.
                            Glad to help - work takes up all my time so not much to post craft-wise, but I do enjoy reading it, so it's nice to give something back, even if it's a bit off-topic at times!
                            --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Sorry to sound dumb, but what is SOS?? (in web terms)

Stacey

Comment

Working...
                              X