Is eBay useful for something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is eBay useful for something?

I have not been shy about my feelings regarding eBay and their fees and I was thinkin that I didn't want to use them as a way to sell my jewellery. But am I missing something by doin that? What I mean is is eBay useful for at least directing sales to your own website or attracting customers even at the cost of their fees? Or is there any other reason you can think of that is an advantage?

I.e. Should I start using them?

Thanks!
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

'Handmade' jewellery designers are leaving e bay in droves - for Etsy. The thousands of jewellery sites on e bay can only be bad news for a designer who needs to charge a reasonable rate for their work.

Comment

It's good if you can produce lots of items and you don't mind them going for a lower price but it's overrun by Chinese rubbish and it's getting worse by the day.
      I sell the bulk of my pieces on ebay and I'm desperate to leave it now. It's very good for traffic as you say but that's about it. Sadly, Etsy doesn't compare either yet. It's poor by compaison for both traffic and search engine indexing. It's restoring visibility to the US market this week though so business might pick up a bit. Your best bet really is to develop your own web site.
      Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
      Dichroic Glass Tutorials
      Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

I don't sell jewellery on eBay (just jewellery making items) and I get loads of sales. I always send info. out, regarding my own website, with all my eBay orders & it's starting to pay back! I look upon eBay as a way of advertising my own site and, as I end up with an overall profit, it's a really cheap form of advertising for me.
        I would imagine that it is tougher to sell jewellery on there, so I don't know what the answer is for you but just thought I'd give you my perspective on it as 'food for thought'.
        Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I use ebay now purely as advertising for my website. My ME page has a link to my website and I have special offers for ebay buyers to buy from my website.

Ebay is a necessary evil for me. Every now and again I list some items. I get more sales via ebay than my website as the traffic is much higher.

The fees and other issues are a right royal pain in the bum but if I manage to pull over ebay customers it will be worth the hassle
          Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

i find ebay quite strange. on the one hand people are there looking for a bargain but when bidding pay over the odds. everyone that uses ebay does so hoping he or she will be paying the least amount of money for something.

I think it appeals to the collectors, hobbyists and bargin hunters. on the whole i dont think a lot of our work fits into these categories. but as stated suppling the hobbyist with materials might be worth the heavy costs of ebay.
            Darren

www.turnerpens.com

Comment

Originally posted by aurrida View Post
              i find ebay quite strange. on the one hand people are there looking for a bargain but when bidding pay over the odds. everyone that uses ebay does so hoping he or she will be paying the least amount of money for something.

I think it appeals to the collectors, hobbyists and bargin hunters. on the whole i dont think a lot of our work fits into these categories. but as stated suppling the hobbyist with materials might be worth the heavy costs of ebay.
              I totally agree. When i go on it's usually to buy something i found in a shop that's way too expensive. But then once I get bidding I can't stop! It's the whole suspense thing when you're bidding against someone else!

Like fraggles said, the traffic on eBay makes it a good way to advertise. But the fees are sooooooo high. I did a destash once and made £14, a week later I paid eBay £11 back in fees! What was the point?!
              Yvonne
              x

Comment

Originally posted by fragg1es View Post
                I use ebay now purely as advertising for my website. My ME page has a link to my website and I have special offers for ebay buyers to buy from my website.
                That's such a good idea! Do you get many returning customers who bought from eBay initially?
                Yvonne
                x

Comment

I gave up on EBay a long while ago as it was taking too much in profits! By the time I paid them and then paypal on top it was not worth it and there was so many that jumped on the band wagon!

To be honest most if not all my sales come from my website! I exchanged links, got myself listed on free directories as much as possible and its taken me three years to now be able to put up a 'fully booked till mid September' on my webpage... and at the last count I had traffic of approx 1700 last week alone! I am dead pleased with that considering I don't pay any advertising fees anywhere.

Hope you get sorted soon, just keep plugging away and keep going!

Pauline
                  Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    To be honest most if not all my sales come from my website! I exchanged links, got myself listed on free directories as much as possible and its taken me three years to now be able to put up a 'fully booked till mid September' on my webpage... and at the last count I had traffic of approx 1700 last week alone! I am dead pleased with that considering I don't pay any advertising fees anywhere.

Hope you get sorted soon, just keep plugging away and keep going!

Pauline
                    Wow Pauline! Well done! You've done so well!! I'll have to keep you in mind for when I finally get my website going and I need some advice on getting things going!

Well done again. It must be so great to know that the project you pour your heart into is doing so well and being appreciated and acknowledged.
                    Yvonne
                    x

Comment

Originally posted by mymiyel View Post
                      That's such a good idea! Do you get many returning customers who bought from eBay initially?
                      Yep i've had a few. It all about changing the mentality of the buyer. Most prefer the buzz and security (lord knows why) of ebay. But I persist and it does work.

I do in most cases but my prices up on ebay to cover costs and also so my customers know that if they visit my website they will get things cheaper.
                      Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

I sell stuff on e bay & i find the same, sometimes stuff goes almost immediately & then other stuff takes ages to go.

I think it depends on what people are looking for a particular item or just a bargin

Christine
                        www.coshamcraftyclub.co.uk
                        www.scrapbookgetaways.co.uk
                        www.learntoscrap.co.uk

Comment

I buy 90% of my stock off ebay, purely for convenience.

I only ever sell on their 5p listing days, mainly as a way to let people know I exist, but like somebody else has said, I've now got to pay them £30 in fees .... well that's the cost of a table, so it's really not worth it for me. I'm not willing to list my products as auctions either so always do them on a buy-it-now which I think puts some people off. Don't get me wrong, last time I listed I did get some orders out of it, but by the time I'd paid the fees I probably about broke even.

A friend of mine sells on ebay full-time. She has a big shed in her garden and sells all sorts of things. She found it really hard when ebay took the US visibility away, simply because newbies to ebay will type in ebay in google and get .com instead of .co.uk.

There is a good html widget you can get for your website/blog that gives you details about how people landed on your site. None of my hits so far have come from my ebay ME page! (www.feedjit.com)
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

ebay

I don't know anything about selling on ebay so can't help here but have you thought about setting up a jewellery party plan evening ( you probably have & I'm being a complete idiot for suggesting it!!)

Or what about holding a ladies evening which someone I know did the other week.

She wanted to raise funds for a charity & got a friend to let them use her living room + conservatory. Asked about 6-8 women who sold various things, (jewellery, anne summers, make-up, etc), they each paid a set amount to set up a table - no involved demonstrations like you would get at a party plan evening as there might be younger girls coming to the evening. The table fees went to the charity along with profits from entrance tickets, & any profits from sales were kept by the sellers. Apparently it was a great success & lots of things were sold.

Comment

Working...
                            X