No announcement yet.

Advice about Stock at Craft Fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add a thought about runetracey's thought that the people in her area don't have much to spend ...

I did a PRIME business course a few years ago.

I'll never forget one of the speakers who had a few thriving take-away hot food shops.

He said his most profitable shop was a traditional fish and chip shop where there is a high number of less-wealthy pensioners.

He said that whatever the downturn in the economy, state old age pensions and their associated benefits never fell and even when his other shops saw a fall-off in trade, the one with a large majority of OAP customers never did ...

Comment

I am so sorry the fair was disappointing but be careful of labelling why it happened it may not be price it could be that the other seller was new so they go to see what she had. It maybe that's why you did so well before.
      If you find you have hit a price ceiling then consider modifying your product so it is quicker to make or has less expensive materials.
      The trouble is in this game the only predicable thing is the unpredictability.
      Helping UK craftspeople make a living http://handmadelives.wordpress.com relaxing reads, quizzes, mentoring, profiles

Comment

I agree with this, and not wishing to appear biased in any way or form but some years ago when I was doing home improvements for a living, you know the sort of thing, hang a door here and put up a shelf there, repair the gutters etc, but my best customers were those that lived on the council estates and I have to admit that I would go to them before going to private estates because they always had money, they worked for a living themselves so knew what conditions were like and they never wanted to owe anyone money. The customers that I would have to chase for payment were usually those that you thought could afford it!!
        No rhyme or reason to it all sometimes.
        Twitter:johnbaitken
        Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

I have reflected on why I do crafting, and have had to do this in the past. I dont venture into selling that often, but in the past not always had a lot of success.
          One reason I feel is that I will not lower my prices, so as mentioned I should make my works less detailed - but I wouldnt make what I do if I didnt like it.
          So in the end, its for my pleasure and that is the bottom line really

I have heard other crafters at venues being disheartened because their stuff didnt sell. The day of this recent craft fair - the new lady saw my stuff then went and reduced her prices!
          I dont wish to let lack of sales ruin my love of crafting.
          So if I do these craft fairs, and I sell then fair enough. But I wont compromise on my detail, quality, and I wont reduce my prices - my stuff is worth what I sell for - e.g. I sell at card at £1.50 and they are well worth that price.
          If someone likes my work they will buy it. But I always have to like what I make
          My Crafting Blog - http://croftcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

My Facebook Crafting Page - http://https://www.facebook.com/Crof...sCardsKnitting

Comment

Well said!! good for you.
            Twitter:johnbaitken
            Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

I used to find that if you have a good show you have to work like mad for a couple of weeks to freshen things up for the next one as your shows can be booked months in advance. It is all to easy to book too many shows and putting yourself under stress. If you are any good you will cultivate a lot of commision work, regular custoners and trade enquiries so that going off is almost like a holiday rather than something you have to make a pile of cash at.

Comment

Working...
              X