No announcement yet.

Running a craft evening - 2 questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a craft evening - 2 questions??

I currently have an idea in my head, which as usualy may come to nothing, but I want to gather as much info as poss as it may get pursued if I have the courage to move forward.
    I want to set up a craft evening in my town, but my 2 questions are - will I need to register as a business? I will charge a fee to cover the cost of hiring the hall, but what if a small amount of money is made from it, when I say small, I mean small. I could charge people £3.00 which if 10 people came - that would cover the cost of hiring the hall. But if 20 people came then there would be £30 extra??
    Another question, is if I hired a church hall, would I need my own public liability insurance. Or would the church have their own insurance? I go to a mums and tots group and they have to pay PLI, but they hire the room from an actual business???
    Would appreciate any help, please. thanks

............bump

Anyone there to help? Please!

Comment

Are the people coming to the craft evening bringing their own crafts to do? Is it to be like a club of sorts or are you providing the craft materials?

Are you looking to run it as a business?

I think the basic idea is good, however I would go ahead as follows. Set up a local craft club, meet once a week in the hall each member pays a subscription that covers the cost of the hall. They all bring their own crafts to do - It can be enjoyable working and chatting to other like minded people for a few hours - every couple of months the club has a crafts fair and perhaps once a month get someone in who does a different craft to talk about it.

I think that you would need some form of insurance but exactly what is hard to say.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Andrew
      Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

Comment

Originally posted by somerset artist View Post

I think the basic idea is good, however I would go ahead as follows. Set up a local craft club, meet once a week in the hall each member pays a subscription that covers the cost of the hall. They all bring their own crafts to do - It can be enjoyable working and chatting to other like minded people for a few hours - every couple of months the club has a crafts fair and perhaps once a month get someone in who does a different craft to talk about it.
        I would second this! I was thinking along the same line as Andrew.

I would join a craft club if there were one to join! I think you can learn alot from other crafters. It would work better if there were a range of crafters, a room full of card makers for example could make it a bit droll if as Andrew says there were to be a craft fair every few months. Also, it would open an avenue for business even if it were just a craft club, other crafters may buy from you or may tell friends and family about your work!

good luck with is, if you go ahead and it works out well or if you come up against any pitfulls can you let us know.

s.x
        Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Working...
        X