Event Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Insurance

Having a hard time finding an insurer for our event in March.
    The only ones I can seem to find through Google won't cover the stall holders. Conditions say stall holders must have their own PLI.
    Many hobbyists holding stalls can't afford PLI.

Has anyone any suggestions on the matter?

Smeg.

Been down this route Dave and never found one that covered stallholders.

Have you tried http://www.smallbusinessinsurancedir...vent-insurance not sure if they do or not but may be worth a go.

The stallholders really should get pli as not worth losing your home as know this has happened to someone once before

PS. When I did an event I had to see everyone's insurance and that it was valid otherwise would have invalidated the event insurance in the event of a claim. The majority did not have insurance and seemed surprised when we turned them down.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 29-12-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if you can find event organiser's insurance which will cover stallholders product liability and it would be very expensive as they'd have to know about every single craft and all the potential problems etc, etc. The event organiser's insurance I've had in the past always insisted individual stallholders had their own pli.

I agree with Caroline that stallholders are taking great risks by not having their own pli.

Sorry, not a helpful answer to your original question, but felt I had to support Caroline's comments.

Linda

Comment

To be honest if the stallholders can't afford to get insurance it is questionable whether they should be doing events. £50 a year is not exactly stretching the bank and if they are charging sensible prices it would cover such expenses. As said, if they have a mishap then they could be in serious trouble. Same applies to all those that are selling but not registered as self employed. Inspectors regularly visit craft shows and if caught it is a massive fine..

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

We don't have PLI for ourselves when we go to events as our turnover is so low.
          We do around 12 - 15 events a year with average takings being around £2 over the pitch fees. £56 a year (cheapest I could find for my postcode) would only cover 10 events.
          The organisers have told us that we have been covered by their insurance should anything have gone wrong.
          I don't want to get insurance knowing it would be invalid.

Smeg.

Comment

I think your organisers are in cloud cuckoo land Smeg or telling you porkies. If they could get cover for other makers it would cost a fortune but I don't see how as they can't be held responsible for your/others actions.

You are running at a huge loss so I don't see why you are doing these events, but that's irrelevant, if you sell to the public you have to have insurance. One fire attributed to your candle and you have lost everything you possess. Someone trips over your table cloth at an event and breaks their leg and you are liable. You don't have the legal warnings on your candles and something goes wrong, you are liable. Someone slips on candle grease on the floor, you are liable.

https://www.a-n.co.uk/tag/ppl-insurance Less than £40 per annum for peace of mind.

Mo.XX
            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
            www.bodrighy.co.uk
            https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Trouble is Smeg, their PLI might cover what happens within or on their property but you need it for the minute your product steps outside of that even if it is the only productvyou sell all year long. The organisers couldn’t care less once your product has left. I use Ian Wallace, but if the cost of insurance is prohibitive...time for a rethink.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by davesmeg View Post
                We don't have PLI for ourselves when we go to events as our turnover is so low.
                We do around 12 - 15 events a year with average takings being around £2 over the pitch fees. £56 a year (cheapest I could find for my postcode) would only cover 10 events.
                The organisers have told us that we have been covered by their insurance should anything have gone wrong.
                I don't want to get insurance knowing it would be invalid.Smeg.
                Not sure how you can afford to do shows when you are making such a loss Dave. At £2 over the pitch fees you aren't even covering cost of materials let alone travel, time, and other expenses. The insurance that the organisers say covers you will not cover you for any damage to your goods or stand unless you can prove it was their fault. Any reputable organiser would require you to have your own insurance, and many will refuse to let you have a stand unless you have it. I think that this is one of the areas that many hobby crafters make the mistake of assuming that it is legally and morally acceptable to sell their work at events without charging senesible fees for their product, having insurance and being registered at least as sole traders. Even if you only sell at church hall type events you are not covered or within the law to simply have a stand without these things. It is no excuse to say that one is a just hobby crafter and not do it in an acceptable way, Apart from anything else can you not see that it undermines the whole image of craft work? Sorry to sound a bit harsh but it is one if the main problems that those of us earning a living from our work have to face.

Pete
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

I do understand what all of you are saying and know we are taking a huge risk.
                  Yes, it is a loss, but we never intended to make a profit out of it or to turn it in to a business. We could never compete with the big resellers if we ran as a business.
                  We have met many other crafters at events that feel the same way, like the grandmother who knits baby clothes and sells them for less than the cost of the wool, or the needle felter who spends 4 hours stabbing a piece of material and sells it at 20p.
                  If things improve with our sales we will have to sort out our own insurance.

For now, I guess I will just have to keep looking.

Smeg.

Comment

Working...
                  X