Goods Damaged in Transit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goods Damaged in Transit

I believe that it is now the responsibility of sellers to ensure that their good are delivered undamaged & if they do receive damage, the seller is legally bound to “make it good!” I am not disputing this, but I wonder if there is any similar law for couriers who damage items in their care? Some of them will simply not provide transit liability for items such as scale models or craft items, whilst some insurance companies will try and “wriggle out” of their responsibilities by claiming “inadequate packing! At the moment, it is rather academic as far as I am concerned, (with the impending enforcement of EEC Distance Selling rules) because I do not wish to place my full name & address on the internet (or even my own website), so I can no longer advertise my product anyway, but it is rather annoying to come up with “flexirules.” Or am I wrong – are couriers legally liable for any damage they cause?
    Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm not too sure of th exact procedure for couriers. However one of my parcles was damaged in transit by them (they know it was packaged correctly purely by the fact that their courier who uplifted the parcel signed for the package and they will only do this if it is packaged properly and undamaged). I rasied a claim with them and they paid for the damage plus covered the cost of me having to send more candles out.

Not much but hope that helps.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I dont know about this. but what got my interest is about putting your contact details on your site. Is this a must now, I suppose it would make sense, but hey 'hello world, here's where I live'!
      Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Originally posted by sweet View Post
        I dont know about this. but what got my interest is about putting your contact details on your site. Is this a must now, I suppose it would make sense, but hey 'hello world, here's where I live'!
        I've never had a problem posting my address,(also my home) I simply say please book an appointment if you want to call, but you can just as easily say, I am sorry, but we do not have facilities to see clients.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by sweet View Post
          If you have a web based business you must supply a contact address and telephone number. Like BBD I've never had a problem with posting address whether business or home, I put on the site I don't have store front facilities please phone to arrange a visit. I think Mr M posted before that none of our addresses are untraceable and not to worry too much about adding to your web site.
          Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for replies. Some couriers simply refuse to accept transit liability for craft items or scale models. Others (most), will accept it, but will only pay out on value of materials used. In my case, a small model ship is usually worth between £300 & £1,000, but the cost of the materials used to build one is maybe £20 at the most, the major expense being the materials to make the display cases.

There is a legal requirement for anyone selling items that they have bought to resell or made to sell, to display their full name & address on their websites (or anywhere else that they advertise on the internet)etc. Also, they are legally bound to ensure the goods get to their destination undamaged. If they are damaged, the seller must retrieve, repair & redeliver at their own expense or give a full refund. The impending enforcement of Distance Selling regulations (EEC) came to my notice through Ebay. Ebay are insting that in a few weeks time, all businesses registered on Ebay must display their name & postal address on all their listings. As I have already said, the offical definition of a business is if you buy something to resell, or you make something to sell - you are a business, even if it is only a few pounds a wekk profit. On the Ebay discussion boards, the general howl goes up that if you don't want to put your address for all the world to see, you are a "tax evader." In my case, I have always declared all my income & paid tax accordingly. I have spoke to Trading Standards & they confirm the above. Consequently, I have now ceased to advertise even on my own website & am serioulsy considering giving up what I have considered to be a paying "hobby" for over 50 years! I don't mind my customers getting my full name & address, but I don't really want "all the world" to see it! In order to close up loopholes, they also say that PO box numbers are not permitted!
            At the moment, I am just lying low & hoping that it will soon reach the National Press & some sort of sensible compromise will be accpeted.
            Bob

Comment

Re address on website.

I didn't know that PO Boxes will no longer be allowed.
              Is that in the new Directive or an Ebay rule?

An acceptable form of address as recognised by the Post Office is to use just house number/name and postcode. People can still find the full address, but the would have to search for it rather than it being there in front of them.

Another option is to use a mailing house. The only reason I know about them is after doing some investigative work trying to track down a dodgy mail order company from Europe who are bombarding my address with junk mail.
              The UK address they use is 31 Hampstead House, 176 Finchley Road - but if you put '176 Finchley Road' into Google you will see it is actually a mail processing company with a hundred companies listed with the same address.

~ Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KayCee View Post
                An acceptable form of address as recognised by the Post Office is to use just house number/name and postcode. People can still find the full address, but the would have to search for it rather than it being there in front of them.

Thats interesting Kay, thanks for that, I may just amend and limit my Blog address info to just that if its acceptable for Distance Selling Regs purposes then

Shaz x
                Keepsake Kollections
                & Rossendale Ramblings!
                http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Hi,
                  I've found the same problem with my Glass Jewellery, one its glass, two its jewellery even though its costume.
                  I had to put a quotation together for a wholesale enquiry and found the only type of courier who would take them would be a secure service, you know like the ones who deliever the money for banks!!
                  Well the service is next day, not cheap but their insurance is very good plus the service will come with armed gaurds!
                  If you need to transport somethig very fragile and of high value I would enquire.

Ann

Comment

Afraid it has to be the full geographical address of where you work (even if you are home-based). Trading standards have confirmed this. The problem with transit insurance is that if the article is high value, they are less likely to want to pay up in the event of damage. "Inadequate packing" is usually the first get-out. I have even been told that if I photograph every stage of packing, they will still not accept it as evidence. As a result of these two problems, I have more-or-less closed down. I have done very little work this week. It would not be so bad if the seller had some rights, but to have none at all is a bit hard. If I send a £1,000 model to USA & it costs £150 to send. Under the Distance Selling Regulations, the buyer can change their mind within 7 days and say they don't want it and demand a full refund, including transit money. They don't even have to send it back before the refund is given. Then, the seller has to foot the bill to get it back again!

With lower value items, couriers will usually pay up without question if something gets lost or damaged.

I am still building model ships, but it will be a lot slower from now on & confined to UK only.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Shipbuilder View Post
                      Afraid it has to be the full geographical address of where you work (even if you are home-based). Trading standards have confirmed this...

...As a result of these two problems, I have more-or-less closed down. I have done very little work this week. It would not be so bad if the seller had some rights, but to have none at all is a bit hard. If I send a £1,000 model to USA & it costs £150 to send. Under the Distance Selling Regulations, the buyer can change their mind within 7 days and say they don't want it and demand a full refund, including transit money. They don't even have to send it back before the refund is given. Then, the seller has to foot the bill to get it back again!
                      Thanks for the address clarification Bob. And its such a shame the strict regs are forcing you to restrict your business so much

Shaz x
                      Keepsake Kollections
                      & Rossendale Ramblings!
                      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Shipbuilder, thank you for clearing up the new address rules.

It's a disgrace all the hoops we have to jump through are forcing you from doing what you love
                        ~ Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. ~

Comment

Working...
                        X