Handing out business cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handing out business cards

Well my order of business cards arrived yesterday, very exciting, but apart from putting them in any packages I send out (when I finally get more sales!) I feel really anxious about giving them out.

What do you experienced crafters tend to do? Where do you leave them?

Had a vision of myself walking through town leaving a trail of them behind me in the hope that someone picks them up!

knit sew crochet hop..........

my etsy shop www.cloudhopping.etsy.com

my folksy shop www.folksy.com/shops/cloudhopping

my musings www.cloudhoppingdesigns.blogspot.com/

If you do any craft fairs / events / markets, make sure you have them out on your stall for customers to take away. Always put one in with anything you sell too.

You could perhaps ask places like hairdressers if they would be prepared to leave some out for customers. Maybe take them into work and put them in in trays and pigeon holes!!!

Remember to take them with you if you approach any shops too.
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Ooh the thought of approaching shops seems a bit scary at the moment but I guess I need to take the plunge!

Good idea the hairdressers, I've been going to the same place for years so they know me quite well!

Thanks!

Comment

Only give when you think there is someone who might be interested - can be a waste of resources otherwise. If you are doing a craft fair it is a good opportunity to give some out, maybe when people express an interest, but don't want to buy at that time.

Oops I see that Katianne has said that whilst I have been typing this.

Any other type of networking event where you can talk to others about your work - particularly when you haven't got any samples with you - a card will help them to remember you. You will soon work out ways and the right places to give them out.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I know someone who leaves them with tips in restaurants and places like that, so that people may pick them up and wonder what they are.

It means that I now have to tip everywhere now

It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Always have a few on you just in case! I went on a Business Link course last week and the woman sat next to me mentioned her daughter was getting married and so I said 'ooh I do wedding stationery if she'd like to have a look at my website (produce card as if by magic!)'.. every one is a potential customer!!
            www.truebloom.blogspot.com
            www.truebloom.co.uk
            My Etsy Shop

Comment

OMG I give them out to absolutely anybody

Here are two examples :

I was in Clarks shoe shop waiting the obligatory 3-days to get served in the children's section when I spied a lady with a leather bag with a cup-cake applique on it. She spotted me staring at it so I explained I made things with cupcakes on and gave her my card.

I was in Dunelm in Swindon with the intention of going on to Bicester to the Cath Kidston outlet shop for fabric. Lo and behold there were two women talking about one of them having just been to the very same Cath Kidston shop. I interrupted them with a "excuse me, I couldn't help overhearing, but...." I told them if they liked Cath Kidston products they should look at my website and gave them each a card!

Ha Ha!

No idea if any of them ever even looked, but maybe they did, and maybe one day they'll think "I need to get Doris a birthday present ... oh, yeah I'll have a look at that mad woman who forced her business card onto me's website"

You just never know!

Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Hi cloudhopping,

Yes, everywhere and anywhere. You can never have enough advertising for your business.

Tactical use is very good and will probably get you the best return (lady in shoe shop etc). But you also need to adopt the scatter gun approach and have your card seen by as many people (all potential customers!) as possible.

I know how you feel, but you will have to overcome that awkwardness when approaching other businesses. After you’ve spoken to a few you will realise two things …their response to you approaching them for a favour is different to when you approach them to buy something off them! …and it’s really not that difficult after all!!

An easy way to get yourself in the right frame of mind is to simply pin your card to community notice boards in supermarkets/market halls etc. This way you will probably get away without having to speak to anyone!

Best of luck.
                Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Thanks all some good tips there!

Carrying my cards with me wherever I go now!

Comment

You'd be surprised how important those cards can be. When i did shows i always had a load on the front of the stall which people could pick up. I had a lady contact me 5 years after she had picked up one of those cards and she went on to stay and do classes with me for many years.
                    get out there, it does get easier, honest!

Sue
                    www.susiedolls.com
                    www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

I have cards on me incase people like whatever of my works of art that Im wearing.
                      I give them out to customers when I send out their purchase so maybe they can pass it on to a friend.
                      My mums about to go on a 40th wedding anniversary cruise on the QM2, she is taking some jewellery I have made, Ive given her a handful of my cards so if anybody likes what my mums wearing she can give them a card.
                      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Yep you would be surprised that you are actually helping businesses by contacting them - I like it when people submit things to Cuteable because it means I don't have to search around as much for stuff although I still do.
                        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I've gotta get some craft biz cards sorted yet but this has just reminded me of when I used to carry my NLP cards around in a neckchain and the girl at the Asda checkout mentioned not being able to touch the fabric a jumper I'd bought was made from - it gave her the heebyjeebies - so I said "I can help you with that" and gave her a card!

....you just never know

One other thing my fella recommended - he's a driving instructor and displays the fact on a badge which often prompts people to ask him

I re-used one of my old Barclays conference neckchain wallets and have "ask about Keepsake Kollections" on there and its surprising how many eyes it catches and they cant resist asking!

Shaz x
                          Keepsake Kollections
                          & Rossendale Ramblings!
                          http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

If you have a craft shop near where you live how about asking in there if you can leave some business cards. The lady who runs my local craft shop knows me pretty well now so I'm thinking of asking her when I get round to having some printed!
                            Also how about putting in two each time you send out a parcel, one for them to keep and one for them to give to a friend, you could them give them a discount if someone they reccomend buys something from you. I don't know but it might get you more customers, you could also do a returning customer discount or something? HTH.
                            Last edited by Ballerinacaz; 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM.
                            Caz
                            x

Comment

thanks guys!

Had an order from Etsy (weyhey 2nd one!) so put 4 cards in the package when I posted it!

My husband is braver than me and he's been giving them out to all his work colleagues!

Comment

Working...
                              X