Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KayCee
    replied
    Katianne congrats on getting RM to refund the difference.

SCA Packaging, Lynn Lane, Shenstone, 01543 482482 do spe******t packaging solutions (their purple prose) but I don't know how much it costs, but they can do small runs of sizes.

I don't know how much it would affect carriage charges, but could you use a thin ply/mdf box as part of your packaging?

The only thing I have EVER seen any parcel carrier handle with the utmost care are pigeons... the homing type. No joke, peeps send the pigeons out by courier to have them released at the destination

Leave a comment:

• Chris W
    replied
    Warning about Parcelforce

If you send anything out by Parcelforce check the insurance covers it. There are so many items not covered including items with glass or silver.

Leave a comment:

• EMEvans
    replied
    I would say the safest way to send items like this is by special delivery as they take a lot more care of them.

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    Originally posted by Katianne View Post
    Just to update you (and hopefully help if you're ever in this situation), I received a cheque and apologetic letter from Royal Mail yesterday, refunding me for the damaged mirror. In the letter, they did state they were making an exception, as a refund would usually require the packaging to be sent to then. When I made the claim, I explained that the packaging had been thrown away, so luckily in this case they still gave me my money back.

So, keep all your packaging, send proof of the item value, photo/s of the damage and it seems they will refund.
    Hey well done Katianne, glad they co-operated

Shaz x

Leave a comment:

• Katianne
    replied
    Just to update you (and hopefully help if you're ever in this situation), I received a cheque and apologetic letter from Royal Mail yesterday, refunding me for the damaged mirror. In the letter, they did state they were making an exception, as a refund would usually require the packaging to be sent to then. When I made the claim, I explained that the packaging had been thrown away, so luckily in this case they still gave me my money back.

So, keep all your packaging, send proof of the item value, photo/s of the damage and it seems they will refund.

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    That's great news, well done Si, you certainly did get it right!

I've been reading so much about glass breakages and how the post guys somehow purposefully put things on top of stuff thats marked Fragile, its a bit scary

To save me some unneeded headaches when the time comes, I'll definitely "post" a new thread asking for posting and packaging best practice tips before I have a go at sending my big frames and memory boxes anywhere - thanks

And Claire! - what a great idea! - I might say "live tarantula inside, take CARE" - LOL

Shaz x

Leave a comment:

• woodtattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by Focus on Life View Post
    ...well Si, I might just point my brain picking tool in your direction when it comes time to package & post one of my large framed pieces out to a customer!

Thanks! (in advance)

Shaz x
    Shaz, the large frame arrived in one piece after travelling the length of the country from Wiltshire to Scotland!

Lucky too, as Parcelforce don't cover glass breakage but it was simply the only way to send it affordably so I took a chance this time.

I must have done something right on the packaging front....

Si.

Leave a comment:

• Katianne
    replied
    Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
    As far as I know, only Special Delivery (not recorded) covers glass and jewellery items, so even if the value is not over £34 (the limit for payout on 1st/2nd class or recorded), they still won't pay.
    Hmmm, just read the T&Cs on their website and it says nothing about glass not being covered - it does say that glas and ceramics are not covered by Standard Parcels, but no mention of that under first class or recorded?

As an update - I sent a replacement straight away and the buyer was very pleased and gave me positive feedback. No mention as to whether she will buy from me again but let's hope she does come back in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Bea
    replied
    I've bought some of the Fragile tape, the one which is white with Fragile written in red. I wrap some of my parcels with it. One day I was told as it's more obvious than a sticker on one side of a box, they actually took more care of these boxes! Not sure how much truth is in that!

Leave a comment:

• Littlegems_cm
    replied
    You'll be surprised how understanding people can be, as long as you respond promptly (which you have) I'm sure she'll not think badly of you or your products. It does sound like you're wrapping them well, it just depends if they handle it with care at RM, but there is only so much you can do. Don't worry!

Cx

Leave a comment:

• ladyluckjewellery
    replied
    As far as I know, only Special Delivery (not recorded) covers glass and jewellery items, so even if the value is not over £34 (the limit for payout on 1st/2nd class or recorded), they still won't pay.

The best way to make sure your package is handled carefully is to mark on it 'Caution - Live Reptile Food' or 'Live Fishing Bait' - I'm not kidding, this has come from a friend who is a courier, apparently no-one will risk dropping a box if they think that a load of crickets or maggotts will come out!!

You'd have to warn your buyers obviously, otherwise they might not want to open the parcel either I guess for businesses it doesn't look too professional, so extra bubble wrap might be a more sensible solution.

Claire

Leave a comment:

• Focus on Life
    replied
    ...well Si, I might just point my brain picking tool in your direction when it comes time to package & post one of my large framed pieces out to a customer!

Thanks! (in advance)

Shaz x

Leave a comment:

• woodtattoos
    replied
    My large picture frame commission should arrive with the customer tomorrow and this post has got me worried...

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed!

Si.

Leave a comment:

• sweet
    replied
    The Royal Mail as a whole i cant vouch for, but I can say that some lovely sorters and delivery wo/men take extra special attention in dropping that 'fragile' marked parcel! Erm, I dont think I can say how I know, but I do.

A bit like when your seated on a plan and you can see the luggage loading men lobbing your suitcases around and 'accidently' dropping them off the conveyor belt as they load/unload them to/from the plane! (dont they know my GHDs, MAC and new shoes are packed in that case!!!)

I think if your customer is happy with the product and your customer service is good then all will be fine. Just use loads of packaging.

Leave a comment:

• goldy1
    replied
    while checking see if they class "costume" and "fine2 jewelry as the same thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X