Oh no! Damaged on delivery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! Damaged on delivery!

Oh Poo!!! Just had an email for the lady that bought the pink band mirror yesterday, to say that it has arrived damaged!!!

Unfortunately, this is the risk with my crafts. It's only happened once before though, so I suppose that's not bad going if you look at it another way. I have emailed the buyer to say I will send a replacement straight away and in the meantime will put a claim in to RM.

The gutting thing is, she was going to buy mirror mirrors after this one, but ordered just one first to make sure she liked it enough to buy more. I just hope it doesn't put her off!

Anyone else have this problem with sending their crafts?

I can't see what else I can do to protect my mirrors really - I wrap them in bubble wrap, surround them with sheets of polyostyrene and clearly mark the box 'Fragile'!!!! Just one of those thinsg I suppose. Just hope RM cough up!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

I wouldn't say I have it all the time but I've had a few damaged and more go missing. The girls at my local PO would do well in the shot putt judging from the way they launch them into the baskets.
    The Royal Mail are always trying to upsell you on recorded or special delivery...The problem with my stuff is that because it's jewellery they won't except liability...even though to send it special delivery would probably cost as much as the item!
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

I made the mistake when I first stared sending my mosaics of using their 'Standard Parcels' service. The Post Office did not tell me though that this service does not cover glass if its damaged, I just happened to find out when I went on their website. You'd think they might check with you, when your parcel is clearly marked 'Fragile' that the contents aren't that that isn't covered, but apparently not! Luckily I have since used another service that does cover the breakage of glass, so hopefully I'll get my money back.
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I did worry about this too when I send my dolls which are ceramic and fragile. Fortunately i have'nt had a problem but i have also long since realised that I can't worry about it too much as long as i wrap them as securely as possible ( I do spend a lot of money on packaging materials) and have proof of posting. Otherwise i would be travelling all round the country to deliver by hand! LOL
        Sue
        www.susiedolls.com
        www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

Don't panick about the ladies reaction.
          I have clients who have come back time and time again even though a parcel has gone missing (and goodness knows how many do). They get to see your true colours in the way you deal with things. If you are polite and efficient and thank them for their patience, it makes you human and they feel that they know you and your standards.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think BBD is right and how you handle it will affect her more than the loss of the item which really was out of your control. I honestly don't know what else you can do to protect your packages though - it sounds like you had enough packaging to protect them.
            Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
            My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
            My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I have already wrapped up her replacement and will send it tomorrow! As you've said, hopefully my way of dealing with it will give her the confidence to buy from me again. She even said it was well packed, and couldn't understand how it got damaged. I think they've put something heavy on top, the weight of which has caused the mirror to crack. Oh well, just one of those things, hazard of my craft!!!
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Aw Katianne, I do feel for you but as you say, the customer recognised you'd packaged it really well in the first place and you've certainly pulled all the stops out to get a new one to her asap - I think she'll be impressed

What everyone's already said is so true, its the measure of the man & woman how you deal with the problem when it happens, I once dealt with a complaint at my old job and ended up getting a thank you letter from the lady - which never happened when things went to plan in the first place! - go figure

If you thought it might help, I guess you could always offer her a small discount off her next purchase by way of apology for RMs crap service

Well done for getting another out to her so fast

Shaz x
                Keepsake Kollections
                & Rossendale Ramblings!
                http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

...but now I'm a bit worried cos if I venture onto Etsy and manage to make a sale, I'll have this worry to contend with for my framed pictures!

Shaz x
                  Keepsake Kollections
                  & Rossendale Ramblings!
                  http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Just had a reply from the buyer to say she's thrown the packaging away! Hopefully I can still claim but will have to see. Anyone else come across this before?
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I made a claim once against the RM but had to send them the damaged Item and the packaging for them to refund me the moneys. They say they buy the item from you. Supose so you cant fix it and make more money on it.
                      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

In the whole year that I have been selling my jewellery, I haven't yet had any go missing or delivered broken [I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed from now on as I have probably just jinxed myself...] But I do wrap it up in ridiculous amounts of bubble wrap and gift box and more bubble wrap and... and...

I am a little worried to read here that Royal Mail don't cover jewellery. I wonder if that applies to Recorded Delivery? I better go and thoroughly investigate that...

Last edited by perlinahandmade; 02-03-2008, 07:47 PM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        While this town is busy sleeping...

Perlina Handmade Jewellery
                        Crafty Beggars!

Comment

while checking see if they class "costume" and "fine2 jewelry as the same thing.
                          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

The Royal Mail as a whole i cant vouch for, but I can say that some lovely sorters and delivery wo/men take extra special attention in dropping that 'fragile' marked parcel! Erm, I dont think I can say how I know, but I do.

A bit like when your seated on a plan and you can see the luggage loading men lobbing your suitcases around and 'accidently' dropping them off the conveyor belt as they load/unload them to/from the plane! (dont they know my GHDs, MAC and new shoes are packed in that case!!!)

I think if your customer is happy with the product and your customer service is good then all will be fine. Just use loads of packaging.
                            Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

My large picture frame commission should arrive with the customer tomorrow and this post has got me worried...

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed!

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X