Preserves as wedding favours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserves as wedding favours

OK, this was one of the reasons I ended up going into business. I made a couple of batches for friends (who paid for the jars) and got a few more orders. I now sell 'normal' jars at fairs and markets. My little display (some pictured below) are 113g/4oz jars, with labels and ribbon. I also have some with fabric jam-pot covers in contemporary material. The small jars start from £1 each (decorated if required, delivery not included). A few people have said that this is quite expensive for favours - is it? Taking into account the glass jars, contents and decoration, I'd say that it was pretty reasonable.... (P.S. I can't make paragraphs etc)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JamLady; 19-07-2013, 02:19 PM.

Blimey when you think how much couples spend on weddings I don't think £1 is expensive at all. When I got married we had the boring old sugared almonds and I think the boxes alone (without the almonds) were about 50p each - seem to recall we could have bought them made up and filled for £1.99 each so your jams sound like a bargain.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Sounds amazing value!
      and a lovely idea to.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

We get couples spending £3-£5 on soap favours - £1 is very inexpensive in my opinion

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I'd say that's great value for money. What could you get for under £1 that is any better?
          Bespoke leather items handmade in England. They make perfect gifts!
          Visit my Etsy Shop: KingsleyLeather
          My Leatherworking Blog: kingsleyleather.co.uk
          Get Social: Facebook | Twitter

Comment

I avoid anything to do with weddings on a matter of principle, unless very close friends who I know will be happy and grateful.

You can't do wrong for doing right; it's too expensive if its low-priced, it's too cheap if it's high-priced.

Put a fancier label on it, advertise it wisely then say 'sold out due to high demand! - please pre-order'. They will.

Sell it in pairs - one teensy-weensy square jar spicy chutney, one even teensier-weensier round or heart-shaped jar super-sweet pink strawberry. Tie with large pink-and-white bows, sell for a tenner AT LEAST and I bet the bridezillas will beat down your doors! Then sell more strawberry jam, with a can of aerosol cream, as a honeymoon gift! Oooh la la!

Cynical, moi? Mais non!

Comment

I think it's a great idea, though I'd print out proper stick-on labels and make them a bit less "home-made" looking. I'd then charge at least £2.50 per jar. If it were me, I'd find a printer who would print professional coloured labels in the bride's colours or maybe a picture of the bride and groom or something similar and charge even more. I'd probably sell them in lots of 10 for £40 on Notonthehighstreet.
              Carole x
              www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Ever cynical eena is right - and everyone else, of course.

Make 'em smaller, make the label posher and raise the prices.

Save the full size versions for those who actually want the contents. I sell my overage at a carboot for a £1 a lb. I found it was worth popping posher, yet still wobbly/handmade, labels on - they tend to fly out.
                Do not watch this space

Comment

I am planning my wedding right now and have been looking ofr favours, some of which are £2 - £3 each... I think £1 is a great price.
                  Jo-Anne
                  Mummy, Crafter and Owner of Craft & Card making supplies website
                  www.rubiesannpearls.co.uk
                  https://www.facebook.com/RubiesAnnPearls & http://pinterest.com/JoLou38/boards/

Comment

Assuming those are 4oz jars, I can't imagine how you are producing the finished article for £1.00 never mind making anything for yourself on it. Even buying the jars in larger domestic quantities you are looking at more than half your unit charge just to buy the jar and lid!

I agree with others, upgrade the labels a bit (bit of colour/picture of the happy couple etc) and put the unit price up to something reasonable. You can always offer discounts for very large quantities.

Linda

Comment

Agree with craftdancer. 4 oz is too big.

Those wee little 'sample' jars that hold maybe two 'spreads' of jam - about a dessertspoonful - are what you need, with pics of bride & groom, or their names, printed on circular labels in fancy print - either separately or entwined - on the lids and the date & place on the jars.

Maybe a sloppy little logo thingie on the bottom of the jar - 'Remember the sweetness of our love when you taste the sweetness of this jam' uugghhhh yuk but I bet lots of people would like it ...

Or look to see if you can get little jars that 'nest' together like a yin/yang sign and sell in pairs with one jar being 'Wayne' and the other being 'Tiffany'. Wayne is a strong, chunky chutney, good with cheese; Tiffany is a sweet and delicate rose-petal jelly. Even if Wayne is weedy anf Tiffany a 'bonny lass', the flavours will fit the stereotypes of what bride and groom should be ...

Glossy/glitzy labels, the tiniest jars you can get maybe acrylic boxed with a bow, UP the prices. Then UP them some more. The jar - with its labels - is the memento of the wedding; even when the jam has been eaten, people will keep it (with its labels) on the kitchen windowsill for a bit, maybe to keep buttons or hairgrips or something in, so make sure the labels are waterproof, fadeproof and have your contact details as well as all the sloppy Wayne and Tiffany stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post

Those wee little 'sample' jars that hold maybe two 'spreads' of jam - about a dessertspoonful - are what you need, with pics of bride & groom, or their names, printed on circular labels in fancy print - either separately or entwined - on the lids and the date & place on the jars.

Maybe a sloppy little logo thingie on the bottom of the jar - 'Remember the sweetness of our love when you taste the sweetness of this jam' uugghhhh yuk but I bet lots of people would like it ...

Or look to see if you can get little jars that 'nest' together like a yin/yang sign and sell in pairs with one jar being 'Wayne' and the other being 'Tiffany'. Wayne is a strong, chunky chutney, good with cheese; Tiffany is a sweet and delicate rose-petal jelly. Even if Wayne is weedy anf Tiffany a 'bonny lass', the flavours will fit the stereotypes of what bride and groom should be ...

Glossy/glitzy labels, the tiniest jars you can get maybe acrylic boxed with a bow, UP the prices. Then UP them some more. The jar - with its labels - is the memento of the wedding; even when the jam has been eaten, people will keep it (with its labels) on the kitchen windowsill for a bit, maybe to keep buttons or hairgrips or something in, so make sure the labels are waterproof, fadeproof and have your contact details as well as all the sloppy Wayne and Tiffany stuff!
                        Eena... This post is brilliant - I literally laughed out loud in the kitchen.. oh and I agree with what you said. I might have to review my wedding favours myself now
                        Jo-Anne
                        Mummy, Crafter and Owner of Craft & Card making supplies website
                        www.rubiesannpearls.co.uk
                        https://www.facebook.com/RubiesAnnPearls & http://pinterest.com/JoLou38/boards/

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post

Well Eena, I knew you had a soft centre really! I like the idea of his n hers.
                          Carole x
                          www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I am VERY cynical about the wedding business. No soft centre there at all. Fake sloppyness and artificial romanticism nauseates me.

Marriage is fine - if people want to get married, fine. Why not? My SO and I might do one day, just so the one of us who drops dead first can leave some part of their pension pot to the other ... maybe when he's 82 or something.

But the wedding business and all the commer******m which surrounds it, which seems to have mushroomed almost uncontrollably in the fairly recent past ... the debt that people get into, the sheer AMOUNT of money that is spent on hot air and frippery ... the artificial sloppyness about it , the fake romanticism ...

It seems often that the more stereotyped 'romanticism' and the more money spent, the shorter the length of the marriage!

I honestly think it gets to simply stupid levels. My problem is not with people who are spending money on daft things but with those who are spending money which they don't have on daft things. And there are an awful lot of the latter. And they think the more expensive, the better!

However, while there is no law against it, and while sensible people like the Jam Lady can get profitable business from it ... GO JAM LADY!!

Comment

Or look to see if you can get little jars that 'nest' together like a yin/yang sign and sell in pairs with one jar being 'Wayne' and the other being 'Tiffany'. Wayne is a strong, chunky chutney, good with cheese; Tiffany is a sweet and delicate rose-petal jelly. Even if Wayne is weedy anf Tiffany a 'bonny lass', the flavours will fit the stereotypes of what bride and groom should be ..
                              Brilliant idea!

Have to say I agree with every word about weddings! Marriages are a completely different thing altogether.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X