Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of marketing help do crafters need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of marketing help do crafters need?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but am looking for some advice from fellow crafters.

I dabble in card making as a hobby but my day job is marketing. I have family members here in Yorkshire who are crafters and do it for a living and for the past 12 months, I've been helping them here and there with their marketing. My dad for example just needed some help with the pictures on his website as well as the writing; it just wasn't punchy enough. Since helping with some of that, and launching his blog, he's found things have been picking up. Especially during the quiet times between events/fairs. I guess you guys are all finding it tough right now.

I don't know if its the New Year that's done it but I'm now wondering whether to offer my help to other crafters and make a little business of it. He suggested coming on here and asking what other crafters thought. Is marketing help something you'd find useful? And if so, what sort of marketing help do you think crafters need and would want? I'm starting to feel quite excited about being able to help others if its something they'd find useful.

Thanks - any feedback would be much appreciated. And Happy Holidays to everyone

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure what help I would want with marketing as my business is forever evolving so are my needs. There is already a lot of great advice out there for free so I am not sure that I personally would be prepared to risk paying for someone to give me advice on marketing especially whilst I am trying to keep my overheads to a minimum. I wish you luck in your venture and I am sure others will be able to give you more ideas.
    http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
    http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

I would love to know the secret of how to get constant web sales, I've had a website for 6yrs and only get a couple of sales a year, My stuff sells easily in front of people but ahhhhhh the website just makes me want to

Also welcome and enjoy the forum its a great space to connect.

Comment

For the most part peeps on here are really well switched on to social media and SEO, however have you considered running a course for bloggers and taking it on from there?

I did not look at this until my blog had been established for a couple of years but learnt so much about what I could add on... it really is worth thinking about
        Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Every time you sell something, include a business card with your website on it. Also include a code on the card that offers either a discount or freebie.

If people don't know about your website, then they won't visit!

Consider advertising in local magazines - they can attract a surprising amount of custom. And the more custom you get, the more people will talk about you. Nothing beats word of mouth, believe me. (When I ran my own IT support business, 95% of my customers came from word of mouth; in the end I stopped advertising!)

Good luck,

Lenny
          ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Originally posted by debbiev View Post
            Welcome to the forum. I am not sure what help I would want with marketing as my business is forever evolving so are my needs. There is already a lot of great advice out there for free so I am not sure that I personally would be prepared to risk paying for someone to give me advice on marketing especially whilst I am trying to keep my overheads to a minimum. I wish you luck in your venture and I am sure others will be able to give you more ideas.
            .....thats exactly what marketing is! Keeping abreast of trends and constantly evolving. No business can do marketing once and leave it at that. Marketing is about exploring a niche and making sure you let everyone know about your USP.

Comment

I understand that but the question was what marketing help do crafters need and want? I was trying to say that there isn't a specific thing that I would need help with as it is something that is constantly evolving. I didn't say that marketing was something to do once and leave it at that. Sorry for the misunderstanding Craftychez.
              http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
              http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

I think it would be a tough business to offer marketing for crafters.

After all, most designer-makers aren't going to be able to afford to pay for a consultant and if they can, they already clearly don't need you.

If you were offer your services for marketing, it would be better to aim at a market where there is a lot of money flying around. Crafters aren't exactly known for charging big bucks when they make a sale!

But you might have more luck writing for magazines, websites etc or putting together your skills somehow in a tuition way that people could buy?

I tend to think most people will already be finding it for free themselves - but if you have something new and unique to offer people that you KNOW will bring results and you KNOW isn't already out there for free, then hey - package it up and market it to us! Because I don't know any business that isn't open to learning about genuine new info and new approaches.
                Emma
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your really useful comments - like I said, just an idea right now but your feedback will help me to investigate this further and see if there is anything 'specific' that I can package together for fellow crafters that's not available already...or not...whichever it may be. Thanks guys.

Comment

Emma I completely agree the help is needed at the outset and that shouldn't be paid for as every penny is needed to survive. Its not much good before you start as you haven't hit the realities. People only start hooking up with mentors once the figures start to work, before that they are too embarrassed.
                    Helping UK craftspeople make a living http://handmadelives.wordpress.com relaxing reads, quizzes, mentoring, profiles

Comment

Working...
                    X